Importance of Sediment–Water Interactions in Coeur d’Alene Lake, Idaho, USA: Management Implications
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A field study at Coeur d’Alene Lake, Idaho, USA, was conducted between October 1998 and August 2001 to examine the potential importance of sediment–water interactions on contaminant transport and to provide the first direct measurements of the benthic flux of dissolved solutes of environmental concern in this lake. Because of potential ecological effects, dissolved zinc and orthophosphate were the solutes of primary interest. Results from deployments of an in situ flux chamber indicated that benthic fluxes of dissolved Zn and orthophosphate were comparable in magnitude to riverine inputs. Tracer analyses and benthic-community metrics provided evidence that solute benthic flux were diffusion-controlled at the flux-chamber deployment sites. That is, effects of biomixing (or bioturbation) and ground-water interactions did not strongly influence benthic flux. Remediation efforts in the river might not produce desired water-quality effects in the lake because imposed shifts in concentration gradients near the sediment–water interface would generate a benthic feedback response. Therefore, development of water-quality models to justify remediation strategies requires consideration of contaminant flux between the water column and underlying sediment in basins that have been affected by long-term (decadal) anthropogenic activities.
- Arai, Y., Sparks, D. L. (2001) ATR-FTIR spectroscopic investigation of phosphate adsorption mechanisms at the ferrihydrite-water interface.. Journal of Colloidal and Interface Science 241: pp. 317-326
- Balistrieri, L. S. 1998. Preliminary estimates of benthic flux of dissolved metals in Coeur d’Alene Lake, Idaho. US Geological Survey Open File Report 98–793, 40 pp.
- Balistrieri, L. S., Ortiz, R. F. Briggs, P. H. Elrick, K. A. and Edelmann. P. 1996. Metal fluxes across the sediment-water interface in Terrace Reservoir, Colorado. US Geological Survey Open File Report 96–040, 83 pp.
- Balistrieri, L. S., Box, S. E., Bookstrom, A. A., Hopper, R. L. and Mahoney J. B. 2002. Impacts of historical mining in the Coeur d’Alene River Basin. Pages 1–34 in Balistrieri L.S. and Stillings L.L. (eds.) Pathways of metal transfer from mineralized sources to bioreceptors: a synthesis of the mineral resources program’s past environmental studies in the western United States and future research directions. US Geological Survey Bulletin 2191.
- Bates, S. S., Tessier, A., Campbell, P. G., Buffle, J. (1982) Zinc adsorption and transport by Chlamydomonas variabilis and Scenedesmus subspicatus (Chlorophyceae) grown in semicontinuous culture.. Journal of Phycology 18: pp. 521-529
- Berelson, W. M., Hammond, D. E., Fuller, C. (1982) Radon-222 as a tracer for mixing in the water column and benthic exchange in the southern California borderland.. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 61: pp. 41-54
- Boudreau, B. P., Jorgensen, B. B. (2001) The benthic boundary layer.. Oxford University Press, New York
- Caffrey, J., Hammond, D., Kuwabara, J., Miller, L., Twilley, R. Benthic processes in San Francisco Bay: the role of organic inputs and bioturbation. Pages 425–442. In: Hollibaugh, J. T eds. (1996) San Francisco Bay: the ecosystem.. American Association for the Advancement of Science, Pacific Division, San Francisco
- Cornwell, J. C., Kipphut, G. W. (1992) Biogeochemistry of manganese- and iron-rich sediments in Toolik Lake, Alaska.. Hydrobiologia 240: pp. 45-49
- Cummings, D. E., Caccavo Jr., F., Fendorf, S., Rosenzweig, R. F. (1999) Arsenic mobilization by the dissimilatory Fe(III)-reducing bacterium Shewanella alga BrY.. Environmental Science and Technology 33-5: pp. 723-729 CrossRef
- Dermott, R. M., Kalff, J., Leggett, W. W., Spence, J. (1977) Production of Chironomus, Procladium, and Chaoborus at different levels of phytoplankton biomass in Lake Memphremagog, Quebec-Vermont.. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board Canada 34: pp. 2001-2007
- Forstner, U., Wittman, G. (1981) Metal pollution in the aquatic environment. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Franson, M. A. H. (1985) Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 16 ed. Method 1003C.6.. American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Pollution Control Federation, Washington, DC
- Goedkoop, W., Johnson, R. K. (1996) Pelagic–benthic coupling. Profundal benthic community response to spring diatom deposition in mesotrophic Lake Erken.. Limnology and Oceanography 41: pp. 636-647
- Goldberg, S. A. (1985) Chemical modeling of anion competition on goethite using the constant capacitance model.. Soil Science of America Journal 49: pp. 851-856
- Hammond, D.E., McManus, J., Berelson, W., Kilgore, T., Pope, R. (1996) Early diagensis of organic carbon in the equatorial Pacific: Rates and kinetics.. Deep-Sea Research 43: pp. 1365-1412 CrossRef
- Harrington, J., Rember, W., LaForce, M., Fendorf, S., Rosenzweig, R. (1998a) Phase associations and mobilization of iron and trace elements in Coeur d’ Alene Lake, Idaho.. Environmental Science and Technology 32: pp. 650-656
- Harrington, J. M., Fendorf, S. E., Rosenzweig, R. F. (1998) Biotic generation of arsenic (III) in metal(loid)-contaminated freshwater lake sediments.. Environmental Science and Technology 32: pp. 2425-2430 CrossRef
- Horowitz, A. J., Elrick, K. A., Cook, R. B. (1993) Effects of mining and related activities on the sediment trace element geochemistry of Lake Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho, USA. Part I: surface sediments.. Hydrological Processes 7: pp. 403-423
- Horowitz, A. J., Elrick, K. A., Robbins, J. A., Cook, R. B. (1995a) Effect of mining and related activities on the sediment trace element geochemistry of Lake Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, USA. Part II: subsurface sediments.. Hydrological Processes 9: pp. 35-54
- Horowitz, A. J., Elrick, K. A., Robbins, J. A., Cook, R. B. (1995b) A summary of the effects of mining and related activities on the sediment-trace element geochemistry of Lake Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, USA.. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 52: pp. 135-144
- Jones, J. G., Orlandi, M. G. L. G., Simon, B. M. (1979) A microbial study of sediments from the Cumbrian Lakes.. Journal of General Microbiology 115: pp. 37-48
- Kuwabara, J. S. (1985) Phosphorus-zinc interactive effects on growth by Selenastrum capricornutum (Chlorophyta).. Environmental Science and Technology 19: pp. 417-421
- Kuwabara, J. S. (1992) Associations between benthic flora and diel changes in dissolved arsenic, phosphorus, and related physio-chemical parameters.. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 11: pp. 218-228
- Kuwabara, J. S., Leland, H. V., Bencala, K. E. (1984) Copper transport along a Sierra Nevada stream.. Journal of Environmental Engineering 110: pp. 646-655
- Kuwabara, J. S., Davis, J. A., Chang, C. C. Y. (1986) Algal growth response to particle-bound orthophosphate and zinc.. Limnology and Oceanography 31: pp. 503-511
- Kuwabara, J. S., Marvin-DiPasquale, M., Praskins, W., Byron, E., Topping, B. R., Carter, J. L., Fend, S. V., Parchaso, F., and Krabbenhoft. D. P. 2002. Flux of dissolved forms of mercury across the sediment-water interface in Lahontan Reservoir, Nevada. US Geological Survey Water Resources Investigations Report 02-4138, 48 pp.
- La Force, M. J., Fendorf, S. E., Li, G. C., Schneider, G. M., Rosenzweig, R. F. (1998) A laboratory evaluation of trace element mobility from flooding and nutrient loading of Coeur d’ Alene River sediments.. Journal of Environmental Quality 27: pp. 318-328
- Lindegaard, C., Jonasson, P. M. (1979) Abundance, population dynamics and production of zoobenthos in Lake Myvatn, Iceland.. Oikos 32: pp. 202-227
- Pedersen, T. F. (1983) Dissolved heavy metals in a lacustrine mine tailings deposit—Buttle Lake, British Columbia.. Marine Pollution Bulletin 14: pp. 249-254 CrossRef
- Reimers, N. J., Maciolek, A., Pister, E. P. (1955) Limnological study of the lakes of Convict Creek Basin, Mono County, California.. Fisheries Bulletin of the US Fish and Wildlife Service 56: pp. 437-503
- Ricker, W. E. (1952) The benthos of Cultus Lake.. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board Canada 9: pp. 204-212
- Ruud, D. F. (1996) A comparison of the macroinvertebrate communities of a trace elements enriched lake and an uncontaminated lake in north Idaho. The effects of mine waste contamination in Coeur d’Alene Lake. Masters thesis.. Eastern Washington University, Cheney, Washington
- Concepts and methods for assessing solute dynamics in stream ecosystems.. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 9: pp. 95-119
- Sweerts, J.-P. R. A., Bar-Gilissen, M-J., Cornelese, A. A., Cappenberg, T. E. (1991) Oxygen-consuming processes at the profundal and littoral sediment-water interface of a small meso-eutrophic lake (Lake Vechten, The Netherlands).. Limnology and Oceanography 36: pp. 1124-1133
- Taylor, S. R., McLennan, S. M. (1985) The continental crust: its composition and evolution. An examination of the geochemical record preserved in sedimentary rocks.. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford
- Thompson, J. K., Nichols, F. H. and Wienke. S. M. 1981. Distribution of benthic chlorophyll in San Francisco Bay, California, February 1980–February 1981. US Geological Survey Open File Report 81–1134, 55 pp.
- Topping, B. R., Kuwabara, J.S. (2003) “Dissolved nickel and benthic flux in south San Francisco Bay: A potential for natural sources to dominate.” Bulletin of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 71: 46–51
- Walker, R. R., Snodgrass, W. J. (1986) Model for sediment oxygen demand in lakes.. Journal of Environmental Engineering 112: pp. 25-43
- Wetzel, R. G. (1983) Limnology, 2 ed.. Saunders College Publishing, New York
- Wood, T. M., Baptista, A. M., Kuwabara, J. S., Flegal, A. R. (1995) Diagnostic modeling of trace metal partitioning in south San Francisco Bay.. Limnology and Oceanography 40: pp. 345-358
- Woods, P. F. and Beckwith. M. A. 1997. Nutrient and trace-element enrichment of Coeur d’ Alene Lake, Idaho. US Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 2485, 93 pp.
- Woods, P. F., Nearman, M. J. and Barton. G. J. 1999. Quality assurance project plan for US Geological Survey studies in support of Spokane River Basin RI/FS. US Environmental Protection Agency, Seattle, Washington, and US Geological Survey, Boise, Idaho, 153 pp.
- Zachara, J. M., Fredrickson, J. K., Gassman, P. L. (2001) Solubilization of Fe(III) oxide- bound trace metals by a dissimilatory Fe(III) reducing bacterium.. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 65: pp. 75-93 CrossRef
- Importance of Sediment–Water Interactions in Coeur d’Alene Lake, Idaho, USA: Management Implications
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 348-359
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Water-quality management
- Benthic flux
- Sediment–water interactions
- Nonpoint sources
- Contaminant transport
- Phosphate limitation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. US. Geological Survey, 345 Middlefield Road Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
- 2. US Geological Survey, 230 Collins Road Boise, ID 83702, USA
- 3. Department of Geological Sciences, University of Southern California, 3651 Trousdale Parkway Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
- 4. US Geological Survey University of Washington, P.O. Box 355351 Seattle, WA 98195, USA