Pre- and/or Postsurgical Administration of Estradiol Benzoate Increases Rates of Skin Flap Viability in Female Rats
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Level of Evidence V This journal requires that authors assign a level of evidence to each article. For a full description of these Evidence-Based Medicine ratings, please refer to the Table of Contents or the online Instructions to Authors www.springer.com/00266.
This interesting paper discusses the protective effects that intramuscular injections of estrogen have on flap survival. The authors should be complimented for their endeavor and their contribution to ideas for potential improvements in outcomes of flap surgery.
Using an ovariectomy model in female rats, the authors studied the protective effect that intramuscular injection of estradiol has on a random flap. Estrogen therapy was initiated either 3 days before flap surgery or on the day of surgery. The area of flap necrosis was measured and compared between the experimental and control groups.
Earlier studies have demonstrated that estrogen positively alters flap necrosis  and that physiologic levels of estrogen (30–60 pg/ml) i ...
- Spanholtz TA, Theodorou P, Holzbach T, Wutzler S, Guinta RE, Machens HG (2011) Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF165) plus basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) producing cells induce a mature and stable vascular network: A future therapy for ischemically challenged tissue. J Surg Res 171:329–338 CrossRef
- Etgen AM, Jover-Mengual T, Zukin RS (2011) Neuroprotective actions of estradiol and novel estrogen analogs in ischemia: Translational implications. Front Neuroendocrinol 32:336–352 CrossRef
- Toutain CE, Brouchet L, Raymon-Letron I, Vicendo P, Berges H, Favre J et al (2009) Prevention of skin flap necrosis by estradiol involves reperfusion of a protected vascular network. Circ Res 104:245–254 CrossRef
- Viscoli CM, Brass LM, Kernan WN, Sarrel PM, Suissa S, Horwitz RI (2001) A clinical trial of estrogen therapy after ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 345:1243–1249 CrossRef
- Pre- and/or Postsurgical Administration of Estradiol Benzoate Increases Rates of Skin Flap Viability in Female Rats
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Volume 37, Issue 5 , pp 1010-1011
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors