Reconstruction of Nasal Deformity in Wegener’s Granulomatosis: Contraindication or Benefit?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Saddle-nose deformity is a well-recognized stigma of patients affected by Wegener granulomatosis (WG). However, plastic surgical repair is seldom performed. In this study, the authors aimed to evaluate their own patients exclusively reconstructed by costal cartilage L-strut of the nose for this specific deformity.
During a 5-year-period, four women with an average age of 33 years underwent reconstructive rhinoplasty of their saddle-nose deformity caused by WG, which in every case was in remission regarding the nose at the time of surgery. Restoration of the nasal framework was performed by an L-shaped rib cartilage graft.
The external form and function of the newly reconstructed nose was preserved during an average follow-up period of 42 months for all the patients. No resorption of the rib cartilage graft was observed. A review of the literature found a total of 22 nasal reconstructions for patients affected by WG.
According to this patient series and a review of the literature, external nasal reconstruction for patients affected by WG appears to be safe and effective if the disease is in remission before any operation. Despite concern that high-dose immune suppression therapy may increase the risk of failure in primary nasal dorsal repair, this could not be observed in the patients of this series, all of whom were receiving immunosuppressive medication. Therefore, nasal reconstruction to improve the physical appearance and thus the psychological well-being of these chronically ill patients seems to be justified.
- Abboud M, Lejour M, Greuse M (1992) Nasal reconstruction in Wegener’s disease. Eur J Plast Surg 15:41–44 CrossRef
- Cannady SB, Batra PS, Koening C, Lorenz RR, Citardi MJ, Langford C et al (2009) Sinonasal Wegener granulomatosis: a single-institution experience with 120 cases. Laryngoscope 119:757–761 CrossRef
- Chauhan S, D’Cruz S (2007) Images in clinical medicine. Saddle-nose deformity. N Engl J Med 356:2720 CrossRef
- Congdon D, Sherris DA, Specks U, McDonald T (2002) Long-term follow-up of repair of external nasal deformities in patients with Wegener’s granulomatosis. Laryngoscope 112:731–737 CrossRef
- Domarus HV (1975) Residual nasal deformity after Wegener’s granuloma: case report. Plast Reconstr Surg 56:216–217 CrossRef
- Duffy FJ Jr, Rossi RM, Pribaz JJ (1998) Reconstruction of Wegener’s nasal deformity using bilateral facial artery musculomucosal flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 101:1330–1333 CrossRef
- Erickson VR, Hwang PH (2007) Wegener’s granulomatosis: current trends in diagnosis and management. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 15:170–176 CrossRef
- Haubitz M (2007) ANCA-associated vasculitis: diagnosis, clinical characteristics, and treatment. Vasa 36:81–89 CrossRef
- Hoffman GS, Kerr GS, Leavitt RY, Hallahan CW, Lebovics RS, Travis WD et al (1992) Wegener granulomatosis: an analysis of 158 patients. Ann Intern Med 116:488–498
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Andrassy K, Bacon PA, Churg J, Gross WL et al (1994) Nomenclature of systemic vasculitides: proposal of an international consensus conference. Arthritis Rheum 37:187–192 CrossRef
- Manson PN, Hoopes JE, Chambers RG, Jaques DA (1979) Algorithm for nasal reconstruction. Am J Surg 138:528–532 CrossRef
- Millard DR Jr (1980) Three very short noses and how they were lengthened. Plast Reconstr Surg 65:10–15 CrossRef
- Noguchi M, Matsuo K, Hirose T (1991) Reconstruction of short-nose deformity using nasolabial flaps pedicled on the infraorbital vessels. Br J Plast Surg 44:567–569 CrossRef
- Sherris DA (1997) Caudal and dorsal septal reconstruction: An algorithm for graft choices. Am J Rhinol 11:457–466 CrossRef
- Shipchandler TZ, Chung BJ, Alam DS (2008) Saddle-nose deformity reconstruction with a split calvarial bone L-shaped strut. Arch Facial Plast Surg 10:305–311 CrossRef
- Wegener F (1939) About a perculiar rhinogenic granulomatosis with marked involvement of the arterial system and kidneys. Beitr Pathol Anat 102:30–68
- Wolfe F (1990) Fibromyalgia. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 16:681–698
- Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, Bennett RM, Bombardier C, Goldenberg DL et al (1990) The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia: report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee. Arthritis Rheum 33:160–172 CrossRef
- Reconstruction of Nasal Deformity in Wegener’s Granulomatosis: Contraindication or Benefit?
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Volume 35, Issue 2 , pp 156-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Costal cartilage
- Long-term results
- Saddle-nose deformity
- Wegener’s granulomatosis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Plastic, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Carl-Neuberg-Strasse 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
- 2. Departement of Nephrology, Hannover Medical School, Carl-Neuberg-Strasse 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany