Does the Injection Plane Matter in Autologous Fat Transplantation?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Breast augmentation techniques using autologous fat transplantation vary significantly with regard to type of liposuction, processing to obtain the injectable fat graft, and graft injection. To date, however, the injection plane has not been comprehensively addressed in this regard.
In 1895, Czerny  was among the first to publish his experience with fat grafting to the breast, calling it replacement of the mammary gland by a lipoma. With the injection of lipoaspirate, many small lipomas are created. In 1996, Guerrerosantos et al.  performed experimental studies on injection of fat into muscle tissue, demonstrating both clinical and microscopic success. A few years later Peren et al.  presented their experience with gluteus augmentation using autologous fat grafts. Recently, Coleman  described autologous fat transplantation into the pectoralis major muscle for breast augmentation, followed by infiltration into the retropectoral and prepectoral spaces.
In addition to autologous ...
- Coleman S (2009) Augmentation of the breast with structural fat. In: Coleman SR, Mazzola RF (eds) Fat injection: from filling to regeneration. Quality Medical Publishing Inc, St. Louis
- Czerny V (1895) Plastischer Ersatz der Brustdrüde durch ein Lipom. Verh Dtsch Ges Chir (2):216
- Folkman J, Hochberg M (1973) Self-regulation of growth in three dimensions. J Exp Med 138(4):745–753 CrossRef
- Guerrerosantos J (2005) The fate of intramuscularly injected fat autografts: an experimental study. Aesth Plast Surg 29(1):62 CrossRef
- Guerrerosantos J, Gonzalez-Mendoza A, Masmela Y et al (1996) Long-term survival of free fat grafts in muscle: an experimental study in rats. Aesth Plastic Surg 2(5):403–408 CrossRef
- Peren PA, Gomez JB, Guerrerosantos J et al (2000) Gluteus augmentation with fat grafting. Aesth Plast Surg 24(6):412–417 CrossRef
- Yoshimura K, Sato K, Aoi N et al (2008) Cell-assisted lipotransfer for cosmetic breast augmentation: supportive use of adipose-derived stem/stromal cells. Aesth Plast Surg (1):48–55; discussion 56–47
- Does the Injection Plane Matter in Autologous Fat Transplantation?
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Volume 34, Issue 5 , pp 678-679
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors