A Two-Way Continuous Buried-Suture Approach to the Creation of the Long-Lasting Double Eyelid: Surgical Technique and Long-Term Follow-Up in 51 Patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Although it is seldom reported in the Western literature, the buried-suture operation to create a double eyelid is very popular in Asia. However, the buried-suture methods are traditionally associated with a high recurrence rate. Corneal damage and exposed conjunctiva suture are also possible.
The two-way continuous buried-suture approach was applied in double-eyelid operations. With seven to nine stab skin wounds on the upper eyelids, a continuous single-armed suture is passed through the dermis as well as the superficial part of the tarsus. Then the needle is inserted in the opposite way. Both ends of the suture are tied within the far lateral incision. The operation takes no longer than 20 min. The scars of the stab incision were no longer visible after several months postoperation.
From August 2003 to January 2008, 51 patients underwent this technique. All patients have been satisfied with their appearance after their initial surgery except two patients who had minimal associated morbidity. No disappearance of the formed double eyelids or corneal damage occurred.
The two-way continuous buried-suture approach is a simple method for establishing a long-lasting double eyelid. The results are durable and the potential for corneal injury is reduced.
- Cheng J, Xu F (2001) Anatomic microstructure of the upper eyelid in the Oriental double eyelid. Plast Reconstr Surg 107:1665–1668 CrossRef
- Song RY, Song YG (1985) Double eyelid operations. Aesthetic Plast Surg 9:173–180 CrossRef
- Khoo B (1980) In: Barron JN, Saad MN (eds) Operative plastic and reconstructive surgery. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 764–768
- Maruo M (1977) In: Mutou Y (ed), Atlas of Aesthetic Surgery, 1st edn. Nan San Publishing Company, Tokyo, p 64
- Liao WC, Tung TC, Tsai TR, Wang CY, Lin CH (2005) Celebrity arcade suture blepharoplasty for double eyelid. Aesthetic Plast Surg 29:540–545 CrossRef
- Wu W (2007) Re: simple epicanthoplasty with minimal scar. Aesthetic Plast Surg 31:354–357 CrossRef
- Regional Conference in Dermotological Laser and Facial Cosmetic Surgery 2002, Hong Kong, 13–15 September 2002
- A Two-Way Continuous Buried-Suture Approach to the Creation of the Long-Lasting Double Eyelid: Surgical Technique and Long-Term Follow-Up in 51 Patients
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 421-425
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Buried suture
- Double eyelid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Plastic Surgery Department, Beijing Chao-yang Hospital, Capital Medical University, # 8 Baijiazhuang Road, Chao Yang District, Beijing, 100020, China
- 2. Center for Human Appearance, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 10 Penn Tower, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA