Pain reduction following vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To evaluate the clinical efficacy, especially the pain reduction, of vertebroplasty and balloon kyphoplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (OVCFs).
Eighty-six patients with OVCFs were treated with vertebroplasty or balloon kyphoplasty. All patients were followed up for seven–36 months. Visual analog scale (VAS), vertebral height, and local kyphotic angle were evaluated at pre-operation, postoperation, and final follow-up.
The VAS pain score decreased significantly after surgery in both kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty groups (p < 0.001), and the improvement of VAS score had no significant difference between the two groups (p = 0.826). There was a significant difference in the improvement of vertebral height (p < 0.001) and local kyphotic angle (p < 0.001) between the two groups. Improvement of VAS score had no correlation with improvement of vertebral height (vertebroplasty: r = −0.029, p = 0.869; kyphoplasty: r = 0.175, p = 0.219) or local kyphotic angle (vertebroplasty: r = 0.159, p = 0.361; kyphoplasty: r = 0.144, p = 0.312) in either group.
Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty are effective procedures for the reduction of pain in OVCFs, and they have the same efficient effect on pain reduction. Correction of vertebral height and local kyphosis may have minimal effect on pain reduction.
- Guan HQ, Yang HL, Mei X et al (2012) Early or delayed operation, which is more optimal for kyphoplasty? A retrospective study on cement leakage during kyphoplasty. Injury 43:1698–1703 CrossRef
- Galibert P, Deramond H, Rosat P, Le Gars D (1987) Preliminary note on the treatment of vertebral angioma by percutaneous acrylic vertebroplasty (in French). Neurochirurgie 33:166–168
- Calmels V, Vallée JN, Rose M, Chiras J (2007) Osteoblastic and mixed spinal metastases: evaluation of the analgesic efficacy of percutaneous vertebroplasty. Am J Neuroradiol 28:570–574
- Serra L, Kermani FM, Panagiotopoulos K et al (2007) Vertebroplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: results and functional outcome in a series of 175 consecutive patients. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 50:12–17 CrossRef
- Yang HL, Zhao L, Liu J et al (2007) Changes of pulmonary function for patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures after kyphoplasty. J Spinal Disord Tech 20(3):221–225 CrossRef
- Dong RB, Chen L, Gu Y et al (2009) Improvement in respiratory function after vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty. Int Orthop 33(6):1689–1694 CrossRef
- Liu JT, Liao WJ, Tan WC et al (2010) Balloon kyphoplasty versus vertebroplasty for treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: a prospective, comparative, and randomized clinical study. Osteoporos Int 21(2):359–364 CrossRef
- Robinson Y, Olerud C (2012) Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty—A systematic review of cement augmentation techniques for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures compared to standard medical therapy. Maturitas 72:42–49 CrossRef
- Ha KY, Lee JS, Kim KW, Chon JS (2006) Percutaneous vertebroplasty for vertebral compression fractures with and without intravertebral clefts. J Bone Joint Surg 88:629–633 CrossRef
- Endres S, Badura A (2012) Shield kyphoplasty through a unipedicular approach compared to vertebroplasty and balloon kyphoplasty in osteoporotic thoracolumbar fracture: A prospective randomized study. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 98(3):334–340 CrossRef
- Kim KH, Kuh SU, Chin DK et al (2012) Kyphoplasty Versus Vertebroplasty: Restoration of Vertebral Body Height and Correction of Kyphotic Deformity With Special Attention to the Shape of the Fractured Vertebrae. J Spinal Disord Tech 25(6):338–344 CrossRef
- Barr JD, Barr MS, Lemley TJ, McCann RM (2000) Percutaneous vertebroplasty for pain relief and spinal stabilization. Spine 25:923–928 CrossRef
- Chen L, Ni CF, Liu YZ et al (2005) Experimental and clinical study on barium used to increase radiopacity of bone cement for vertebroplasty. Chin J Med Imaging Technol 21(7):1085–1088
- Ma R, Chow R, Shen FH (2010) Kummell's disease: delayed post-traumatic osteonecrosis of the vertebral body. Eur Spine J 19(7):1065–1070 CrossRef
- Kim KT, Suk KS, Kim JM, Lee SH (2003) Delayed vertebral collapse with neurological deficits secondary to osteoporosis. Int Orthop 27(2):65–69
- Santiago FR, Abela AP, Alvarez LG et al (2010) Pain and functional outcome after vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty. A comparative study. Eur J Radiol 75(2):e108–e113 CrossRef
- Yeh JH, Yang SC, Kao YH et al (2011) Clinical and radiographic evaluation of balloon kyphoplasty using VCFX for osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture. Formos J Musculoskelet Disord 2:94–98 CrossRef
- Shah RV (2012) Sacral kyphoplasty for the treatment of painful sacral insufficiency fractures and metastases. Spine J 12:113–120 CrossRef
- Yang CT, Hou SM, Hou CH et al (2011) Does the complication rate and treatment effect of balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty differ in countries or specialties of operators? Formos J Musculoskelet Disord 2:79–84 CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR et al (2009) A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 361:557–568 CrossRef
- Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ et al (2009) A randomized controlled trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spine fractures. N Engl J Med 361:569–579 CrossRef
- Ettinger B, Black DM, Nevitt MC et al (1992) Contribution of vertebral deformities to chronic back pain and disability. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. J Bone Miner Res 7:449–456 CrossRef
- Ryan PJ, Blake G, Herd R, Fogelman I (1994) A clinical profile of back pain and disability in patients with spinal osteoporosis. Bone 15:27–30 CrossRef
- Symmons DP, Hemert AM, Vandenbroucke JP, Valkenburg HA (1991) A longitudinal study of back pain and radiological changes in the lumbar spines of middle aged women. II. Radiographic findings. Ann Rheum Dis 50:162–166 CrossRef
- Pain reduction following vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty
Volume 37, Issue 1 , pp 83-87
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links