Aspirin for elective hip and knee arthroplasty: a multimodal thromboprophylaxis protocol
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Multimodal thromboprophylaxis includes preoperative thromboembolic risk stratification and autologous blood donation, surgery performed under regional anaesthesia, postoperative rapid mobilisation, use of pneumatic compression devices and chemoprophylaxis tailored to the patient’s individual risk. We determined the 90-day rate of venous thromboembolism (VTE), other complications and mortality in patients who underwent primary elective hip and knee replacement surgery with multimodal thromboprophylaxis.
A total of 1,568 consecutive patients undergoing hip and knee replacement surgery received multimodal thromboprophylaxis: 1,115 received aspirin, 426 received warfarin and 27 patients received low molecular weight heparin and warfarin with or without a vena cava filter.
The rate of VTE, pulmonary embolism, proximal deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and distal DVT was 1.2, 0.36, 0.45 and 0.36 %, respectively, in patients who received aspirin. The rates in those who received warfarin were 1.4, 0.9, 0.47 and 0.47 %, respectively. The overall 90-day mortality rate was 0.2 %.
Multimodal thromboprophylaxis in which aspirin is administered to low-risk patients is safe and effective following primary total joint replacement.
- Freedman KB, Brookenthal KR, Fitzgerald RH Jr, Williams S, Lonner JH (2000) A meta-analysis of thromboembolic prophylaxis following elective total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg 82:929–938
- Falck-Ytter Y, Francis CW, Johanson NA et al (2012) Prevention of VTE in orthopedic surgery patients: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 141(2 Suppl):e278S–e325S CrossRef
- Treasure T, Chong LY, Sharpin C, Wonderling D, Head K, Hill J (2010) Developing guidelines for venous thromboembolism for The National Institute for Clinical Excellence: involvement of the orthopaedic surgical panel. J Bone Joint Surg Br 92(5):611–616 CrossRef
- Butt AJ, McCarthy T, Kelly IP, Glynn T, McCoy G (2005) Sciatic nerve palsy secondary to postoperative haematoma in primary total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:1465–1467 CrossRef
- Callaghan JJ, Dorr LD, Engh GA, Hanssen AD, Healy WL, Lachiewicz PF, Lonner JH, Lotke PA, Ranawat CS, Ritter MA, Salvati EA, Sculco TP, Thornhill TS, American College of Chest Physicians (2005) Prophylaxis for thromboembolic disease: recommendations from the American College of Chest Physicians–are they appropriate for orthopaedic surgery? J Arthroplasty 20:273–274 CrossRef
- Salvati EA, Sharrock NE, Westrich G, Potter HG, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Sculco TP (2007) The 2007 ABJS Nicolas Andry Award: three decades of clinical, basic, and applied research on thromboembolic disease after THA: rationale and clinical results of a multimodal prophylaxis protocol. Clin Orthop Relat Res 459:246–254 CrossRef
- Beksaç B, González Della Valle A, Anderson J, Sharrock NE, Sculco TP, Salvati EA (2007) Symptomatic thromboembolism after one-stage bilateral THA with a multimodal prophylaxis protocol. Clin Orthop Relat Res 463:114–119
- Beksaç B, González Della Valle A, Salvati EA (2006) Thromboembolic disease after total hip arthroplasty: who is at risk? Clin Orthop Relat Res 453:211–224 CrossRef
- Sharrock NE, Go G, Harpel PC, Ranawat CS, Sculco TP, Salvati EA (1995) The John Charnley Award. Thrombogenesis during total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 319:16–27
- Westrich GH, Farrell C, Bono JV, Ranawat CS, Salvati EA, Sculco TP (1999) The incidence of venous thromboembolism after total hip arthroplasty: a specific hypotensive epidural anesthesia protocol. J Arthroplasty 14(4):456–463 CrossRef
- Bae H, Westrich G, Sculco TP, Salvati EA, Reich LM (2001) The effect of preoperative donation of autologous blood on deep-vein thrombosis after total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br 83(5):676–679 CrossRef
- González Della Valle A, Serota A, Go G, Sorriaux G, Sculco TP, Sharrock NE, Salvati EA (2006) Venous thromboembolism is rare with a multimodal prophylaxis protocol after total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 444:146–153 CrossRef
- Gesell M, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Haas S, Salvati E (2011) Safety and efficacy of multimodal thromboprophylaxis following elective total knee arthroplasty. A comparative study with selective versus routine use of coumadin for chemoprophylaxis. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, 21st Annual Meeting, poster presentation
- Memtsoudis SG, González Della Valle A, Besculides MC, Gaber L, Sculco TP (2008) In-hospital complications and mortality of unilateral, bilateral, and revision TKA: based on an estimate of 4,159,661 discharges. Clin Orthop Relat Res 466(11):2617-2627 CrossRef
- Asnis PD, Gardner MJ, Ranawat A, Leitzes AH, Peterson MG, Bass AR (2007) The effectiveness of warfarin dosing from a nomogram compared with house staff dosing. J Arthroplasty 22(2):213–218 CrossRef
- Parvizi J, Smith EB, Pulido L, Mamelak J, Morrison WB, Purtill JJ, Rothman RH (2007) The rise in the incidence of pulmonary embolus after joint arthroplasty: is modern imaging to blame? Clin Orthop Relat Res 463:107–113
- Sharrock NE, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Go G, Lyman S, Salvati EA (2008) Potent anticoagulants are associated with a higher all-cause mortality rate after hip and knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 466(3):714–721 CrossRef
- Jameson SS, Charman SC, Gregg PJ, Reed MR, van der Meulen JH (2011) The effect of aspirin and low-molecular-weight heparin on venous thromboembolism after hip replacement: a non-randomised comparison from information in the National Joint Registry. J Bone Joint Surg Br 93(11):1465–1470 CrossRef
- Auer RC, Schulman AR, Tuorto S, Gönen M, Gonsalves J, Schwartz L, Ginsberg MS, Fong Y (2009) Use of helical CT is associated with an increased incidence of postoperative pulmonary emboli in cancer patients with no change in number of fatal pulmonary emboli. J Am Coll Surg 208(5):871–878 CrossRef
- Poultsides LA, Gonzalez Della Valle A, Memtsoudis SG, Ma Y, Roberts T, Sharrock N, Salvati E (2012) Meta-analysis of cause of death following total joint replacement using different thromboprophylaxis regimens. J Bone Joint Surg Br 94(1):113–121 CrossRef
- Geerts WH, Bergqvist D, Pineo GF, Heit JA, Samama CM, Lassen MR, Colwell CW, American College of Chest Physicians (2008) Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest 133(6 Suppl):381S–453S CrossRef
- Aspirin for elective hip and knee arthroplasty: a multimodal thromboprophylaxis protocol
Volume 36, Issue 10 , pp 1995-2002
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery and Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
- 2. Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
- 3. Department of Biostatistics, Hospital for Special Surgery and Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
- 4. Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital for Special Surgery and Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA