Ectopic pregnancy: MRI findings and clinical utility
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To assess the utility of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in patients with clinically suspected ectopic pregnancy (EP).
We retrospectively reviewed MRIs of 26 consecutive patients who were clinically suspected of having an EP. The diagnostic utility of MRI features of EP was analyzed retrospectively as follows: (1) Direct sign detection of ectopic gestational sac (GS); (2) Indirect signs tubal dilatation with hemosalpinx, adnexal hematoma, and hemorrhagic ascites. The diagnostic accuracy of each sign and their combination was compared to surgical records. The MRI findings of an ectopic GS were reviewed as follows: size, shape, signal intensity, and enhancement pattern.
Of 26 patients, 24 had a tubal pregnancy; 22 of these 24 patients (92%) had a direct sign (sensitivity: 91.3%; specificity: 100%; positive predictive value: 100%). The diagnostic accuracy of the direct sign was 92%; this was more accurate than that of any single indirect sign (39%, 54%, and 50%, respectively). However, the diagnostic accuracy of EP increased to 100% when diagnostic criteria required the presence of a direct sign or at least two indirect signs.
MRI is an effective modality for diagnosing EP with a high detection rate of extrauterine GSs. The combination of direct and indirect signs is useful for establishing the correct diagnosis.
- Yoshigi J, Yashiro N, Kinoshita T, O’Uchi T, Kitagaki H (2006) Diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy with MRI: efficacy of T2*-weighted imaging. Magn Reson Med Sci 5(1):25–32 CrossRef
- Kinoshita T, Ishii K, Higashiiwai H (1999) MR appearance of ruptured tubal ectopic pregnancy. Eur J Radiol 32(2):144–147 CrossRef
- Ha HK, Jung JK, Kang SJ, et al. (1993) MR imaging in the diagnosis of rare forms of ectopic pregnancy. AJR Am J Roentgenol 160(6):1229–1232 CrossRef
- Kataoka ML, Togashi K, Kobayashi H, et al. (1999) Evaluation of ectopic pregnancy by magnetic resonance imaging. Hum Reprod 14(10):2644–2650 CrossRef
- Tamai K, Koyama T, Togashi K (2007) MR features of ectopic pregnancy. Eur Radiol 17(12):3236–3246 CrossRef
- Atri M, Leduc C, Gillett P, et al. (1996) Role of endovaginal sonography in the diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Radiographics 16(4):755–774 ((discussion 75))
- Lubner M, Menias C, Rucker C, et al. (2007) Blood in the belly: CT findings of hemoperitoneum. Radiographics 27(1):109–125 CrossRef
- Skubisz MM, Tong S (2012) The evolution of methotrexate as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy and gestational trophoblastic neoplasia: a review. ISRN Obstet Gynecol 2012:637094
- Banz C, Chalvatzas N, Kelling K, et al. (2010) Laparoscopic management of ectopic pregnancy during a 9-year period. Fertil Steril 94(7):2780–2782 CrossRef
- Farquhar CM (2005) Ectopic pregnancy. Lancet 366(9485):583–591 CrossRef
- Luciano DE, Jain A, Roy G, Solima E, Luciano AA (2004) Ectopic pregnancy—from surgical emergency to medical management. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 11(1):107–121 (quiz 22) CrossRef
- Rabischong B, Tran X, Sleiman AA, et al. (2011) Predictive factors of failure in management of ectopic pregnancy with single-dose methotrexate: a general population-based analysis from the Auvergne Register, France. Fertil Steril 95(1):401-404, 4 e1.
- Levine D (2007) Ectopic pregnancy. Radiology 245(2):385–397 CrossRef
- Laing FC (1990) Sonographic determination of tubal rupture in patients with ectopic pregnancy: is it feasible? Radiology 177(2):330–331
- Tongsong T, Pongsatha S (1993) Transvaginal sonographic features in diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 43(3):277–283 CrossRef
- Pham H, Lin EC (2007) Adnexal ring of ectopic pregnancy detected by contrast-enhanced CT. Abdom Imaging 32(1):56–58 CrossRef
- Nishino M, Hayakawa K, Kawamata K, Iwasaku K, Takasu K (2002) MRI of early unruptured ectopic pregnancy: detection of gestational sac. J Comput Assist Tomogr 26(1):134–137 CrossRef
- Ectopic pregnancy: MRI findings and clinical utility
Volume 38, Issue 4 , pp 844-850
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Extrauterine gestational sac
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Nara Medical University, 840 Shijo-cho, Kashihara City, Nara, 634-8522, Japan
- 2. Department of Radiology, Heisei Memorial Hospital, 827 Shijo-cho, Kashihara City, Nara, 634-0813, Japan
- 3. Department of Radiology, Social Insurance Nara Hospital, 1-62 Asahi-cho, Yamatokoriyama City, Nara, 639-1013, Japan