Human biodistribution and dosimetry of 18F-JNJ42259152, a radioligand for phosphodiesterase 10A imaging
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Phosphodiesterase 10A (PDE10A) is a cAMP/cGMP-hydrolysing enzyme with a central role in striatal signalling and implicated in neuropsychiatric disorders such as Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, schizophrenia and addiction. We have developed a novel PDE10A PET ligand, 18F-JNJ42259152, and describe here its human dynamic biodistribution, safety and dosimetry.
Six male subjects (age range 23–67 years) underwent ten dynamic whole-body PET/CT scans over 6 h after bolus injection of 175.5 ± 9.4 MBq 18F-JNJ42259152. Source organs were delineated on PET/CT and individual organ doses and effective dose were determined using the OLINDA software.
F-JNJ42259152 was readily taken up by the brain and showed exclusive retention in the brain, especially in the striatum with good washout starting after 20 min. The tracer was cleared through both the hepatobiliary and the urinary routes. No defluorination was observed. Organ absorbed doses were largest for the gallbladder (239 μSv/MBq) and upper large intestine (138 μSv/MBq). The mean effective dose was 24.9 ± 4.1 μSv/MBq. No adverse events were encountered.
In humans, 18F-JNJ42259152 has an appropriate distribution, brain kinetics and safety. The estimated effective dose was within WHO class IIb with low interindividual variability. Therefore, the tracer is suitable for further kinetic evaluation in humans.
- Fujishige K, Kotera J, Omori K. Striatum- and testis-specific phosphodiesterase PDE10A isolation and characterization of a rat PDE10A. Eur J Biochem. 1999;266(3):1118–27. CrossRef
- Fujishige K, Kotera J, Michibata H, Yuasa K, Takebayashi S, Okumura K, et al. Cloning and characterization of a novel human phosphodiesterase that hydrolyzes both cAMP and cGMP (PDE10A). J Biol Chem. 1999;274(26):18438–45. CrossRef
- Seeger TF, Bartlett B, Coskran TM, Culp JS, James LC, Krull DL, et al. Immunohistochemical localization of PDE10A in the rat brain. Brain Res. 2003;985(2):113–26. CrossRef
- Schmidt CJ, Chapin DS, Cianfrogna J, Corman ML, Hajos M, Harms JF, et al. Preclinical characterization of selective phosphodiesterase 10A inhibitors: a new therapeutic approach to the treatment of schizophrenia. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;325(2):681–90. CrossRef
- Siuciak JA, Chapin DS, Harms JF, Lebel LA, McCarthy SA, Chambers L, et al. Inhibition of the striatum-enriched phosphodiesterase PDE10A: a novel approach to the treatment of psychosis. Neuropharmacology. 2006;51(2):386–96. CrossRef
- Siuciak JA, McCarthy SA, Chapin DS, Fujiwara RA, James LC, Williams RD, et al. Genetic deletion of the striatum-enriched phosphodiesterase PDE10A: evidence for altered striatal function. Neuropharmacology. 2006;51(2):374–85. CrossRef
- Kleiman RJ, Kimmel LH, Bove SE, Lanz TA, Harms JF, Romegialli A, et al. Chronic suppression of phosphodiesterase 10A alters striatal expression of genes responsible for neurotransmitter synthesis, neurotransmission, and signaling pathways implicated in Huntington’s disease. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;336(1):64–76. CrossRef
- Giorgi M, Melchiorri G, Nuccetelli V, D’Angelo V, Martorana A, Sorge R, et al. PDE10A and PDE10A-dependent cAMP catabolism are dysregulated oppositely in striatum and nucleus accumbens after lesion of midbrain dopamine neurons in rat: a key step in parkinsonism physiopathology. Neurobiol Dis. 2011;43(1):293–303. CrossRef
- Liddie S, Anderson K, Paz A, Itzhak Y. The effect of phosphodiesterase inhibitors on extinction of cocaine-induced conditioned place preference in mice. J Psychopharmacol. 2012;26(10):1375–82. CrossRef
- Tu Z, Fan J, Li S, Jones LA, Cui J, Padakanti PK, et al. Radiosynthesis and in vivo evaluation of [11C]MP-10 as a PET probe for imaging PDE10A in rodent and non-human primate brain. Bioorg Med Chem. 2011;19(5):1666–73. CrossRef
- Tu Z, Xu J, Jones LA, Li S, Mach RH. Carbon-11 labeled papaverine as a PET tracer for imaging PDE10A: radiosynthesis, in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Nucl Med Biol. 2010;37(4):509–16. CrossRef
- Plisson C, Salinas C, Weinzimmer D, Labaree D, Lin SF, Ding YS, et al. Radiosynthesis and in vivo evaluation of [(11)C]MP-10 as a positron emission tomography radioligand for phosphodiesterase 10A. Nucl Med Biol. 2011;38(6):875–84. CrossRef
- Celen S, Koole M, De Angelis M, Sannen I, Chitneni SK, Alcazar J, et al. Preclinical evaluation of 18F-JNJ41510417 as a radioligand for PET imaging of phosphodiesterase-10A in the brain. J Nucl Med. 2010;51(10):1584–91. CrossRef
- Andres JI, De Angelis M, Alcazar J, Iturrino L, Langlois X, Dedeurwaerdere S, et al. Synthesis, in vivo occupancy, and radiolabeling of potent phosphodiesterase subtype-10 inhibitors as candidates for positron emission tomography imaging. J Med Chem. 2011;54(16):5820–35. CrossRef
- Lassmann M, Chiesa C, Flux G, Bardies M. EANM Dosimetry Committee guidance document: good practice of clinical dosimetry reporting. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011;38(1):192–200. CrossRef
- Stamm G, Nagel HD. CT-expo – a novel program for dose evaluation in CT. Rofo. 2002;174(12):1570–6. CrossRef
- Terry GE, Hirvonen J, Liow JS, Seneca N, Tauscher JT, Schaus JM, et al. Biodistribution and dosimetry in humans of two inverse agonists to image cannabinoid CB1 receptors using positron emission tomography. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2010;37(8):1499–506. CrossRef
- Bolch WE, Eckerman KF, Sgouros G, Thomas SR. MIRD pamphlet No. 21: a generalized schema for radiopharmaceutical dosimetry – standardization of nomenclature. J Nucl Med. 2009;50(3):477–84. CrossRef
- ICRP. Limits for intakes of radionuclides by workers. ICRP Publication 30 (Part 1). Ann ICRP. 1979;2(3-4)
- Cloutier RJ, Smith SA, Watson EE, Snyder WS, Warner GG. Dose to the fetus from radionuclides in the bladder. Health Phys. 1973;25(2):147–61. CrossRef
- Stabin MG, Sparks RB, Crowe E. OLINDA/EXM: the second-generation personal computer software for internal dose assessment in nuclear medicine. J Nucl Med. 2005;46(6):1023–7.
- Coskran TM, Morton D, Menniti FS, Adamowicz WO, Kleiman RJ, Ryan AM, et al. Immunohistochemical localization of phosphodiesterase 10A in multiple mammalian species. J Histochem Cytochem. 2006;54(11):1205–13. CrossRef
- Human biodistribution and dosimetry of 18F-JNJ42259152, a radioligand for phosphodiesterase 10A imaging
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 254-261
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Phosphodiesterase 10A
- Brain kinetics
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Leuven and KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
- 4. Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Leuven - Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
- 3. Laboratory for Radiopharmacy, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
- 2. Janssen Research & Development, Division of Janssen Pharmaceuticals NV, Beerse, Belgium