Hepatic artery injection of 131I-labelled metuximab combined with chemoembolization for intermediate hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective nonrandomized study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the fifth and seventh most common cause of cancer in men and women, respectively. Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization (TACE) is the standardized therapy for the intermediate stage of HCC. However, the 3-year overall survival remains low (<30 %) in these patients. Thus, there is a critical need for the development of treatment modalities to improve the survival rate. This study aimed to evaluate whether the combination of 131I-metuximab with chemoembolization could improve treatment efficiency.
Between January 2009 and January 2010, a prospective two-arm nonrandomized study was performed in patients with intermediate HCC. Of 138 patients, 68 (combination therapy group) received 132 courses of intraarterial 131I-metuximab injections combined with chemoembolization (mean 1.94 per patient, median 2, range 1–2), followed by 152 sessions of TACE (mean 2.24 per patient, median 2, range 0–4). The remaining 70 patients (monotherapy group) received 296 sessions of TACE (mean 4.23 per patient, median 4, range 1–7).
The overall median survival times for the combination therapy group and the group treated only with TACE were 26.7 months (95 % CI 20.7–31.3 months) and 20.6 months (95 % CI 15.3–24.7 months), respectively. The combination therapy group had a significantly higher survival rate than the TACE-only group (P = 0.038). Age ≥65 years, serum albumin ≤35 g/l, and treatment category (combination therapy or TACE only) were independent prognostic factors for survival according to multivariate analysis.
The combination of 131I-metuximab and chemoembolization extended survival in patients with intermediate HCC compared with TACE only, and was well tolerated by patients with Child-Pugh class A or B disease. This combination seems to be a promising treatment modality for patients with intermediate HCC.
- Jemal, A, Bray, F, Center, MM, Ferlay, J, Ward, E, Forman, D (2011) Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 61: pp. 69-90 CrossRef
- Bruix, J, Llovet, JM (2009) Major achievements in hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet 373: pp. 614-616 CrossRef
- El-Serag, HB (2011) Hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med 365: pp. 1118-1127 CrossRef
- Llovet, JM, Bruix, J (2003) Systematic review of randomized trials for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: chemoembolization improves survival. Hepatology 37: pp. 429-442 CrossRef
- Andreana, L, Burroughs, AK (2010) Treatment of early hepatocellular carcinoma: how to predict and prevent recurrence. Dig Liver Dis 42: pp. S249-S257 CrossRef
- Zeng, ZC, Tang, ZY, Yang, BH, Liu, KD, Wu, ZQ, Fan, J (2002) Comparison between radioimmunotherapy and external beam radiation therapy for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29: pp. 1657-1668 CrossRef
- Hawkins, MA, Dawson, LA (2006) Radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: from palliation to cure. Cancer 106: pp. 1653-1663 CrossRef
- Feng, M, Ben-Josef, E (2011) Radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Semin Radiat Oncol 21: pp. 271-277 CrossRef
- Dawson, LA (2011) Overview: where does radiation therapy fit in the spectrum of liver cancer local-regional therapies?. Semin Radiat Oncol 21: pp. 241-246 CrossRef
- Chen, ZN, Mi, L, Xu, J, Song, F, Zhang, Q, Zhang, Z (2006) Targeting radioimmunotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma with iodine (131I)metuximab injection: clinical phase I/II trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65: pp. 435-444 CrossRef
- Steiner, M, Neri, D (2011) Antibody-radionuclide conjugates for cancer therapy: historical considerations and new trends. Clin Cancer Res 17: pp. 6406-6416 CrossRef
- Zhang, Z, Bian, H, Feng, Q, Mi, L, Mo, T, Kuang, A (2006) Biodistribution and localization of iodine-131-labeled metuximab in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Biol Ther 5: pp. 318-322 CrossRef
- Toole, BP (2003) Emmprin (CD147), a cell surface regulator of matrix metalloproteinase production and function. Curr Top Dev Biol 54: pp. 371-389 CrossRef
- Chen ZN SP, Li Y, Qian AR, Zhu P, Xing JL, inventor; NTD Patent & Trademark Agency Ltd., Beijing office, assignee. HAb18G/CD147, its agonist and application. Chinese 2001 Sep 28; PCT international patent WO02/094875. 2002 May 27.
- Zhang, Q, Chen, X, Zhou, J, Zhang, L, Zhao, Q, Chen, G (2006) CD147, MMP-2, MMP-9 and MVD-CD34 are significant predictors of recurrence after liver transplantation in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Cancer Biol Ther 5: pp. 808-814 CrossRef
- Xu, J, Shen, ZY, Chen, XG, Zhang, Q, Bian, HJ, Zhu, P (2007) A randomized controlled trial of Licartin for preventing hepatoma recurrence after liver transplantation. Hepatology 45: pp. 269-276 CrossRef
- Wu, L, Yang, YF, Ge, NJ, Shen, SQ, Liang, J, Wang, Y (2010) Hepatic arterial iodine-131-labeled metuximab injection combined with chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: interim safety and survival data from 110 patients. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 25: pp. 657-663 CrossRef
- Bruix, J, Sherman, M, Llovet, JM, Beaugrand, M, Lencioni, R, Burroughs, AK (2001) Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL conference. European Association for the Study of the Liver. J Hepatol 35: pp. 421-430 CrossRef
- Llovet, JM, Bisceglie, AM, Bruix, J, Kramer, BS, Lencioni, R, Zhu, AX (2008) Design and endpoints of clinical trials in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 100: pp. 698-711 CrossRef
- Colli, A, Fraquelli, M, Casazza, G, Massironi, S, Colucci, A, Conte, D (2006) Accuracy of ultrasonography, spiral CT, magnetic resonance, and alpha-fetoprotein in diagnosing hepatocellular carcinoma: a systematic review. Am J Gastroenterol 101: pp. 513-523 CrossRef
- Llovet, JM, Real, MI, Montana, X, Planas, R, Coll, S, Aponte, J (2002) Arterial embolisation or chemoembolisation versus symptomatic treatment in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 359: pp. 1734-1739 CrossRef
- Senthilnathan, S, Memon, K, Lewandowski, RJ, Kulik, L, Mulcahy, MF, Riaz, A (2012) Extrahepatic metastases occur in a minority of hepatocellular carcinoma patients treated by locoregional therapies: analyzing patterns of progression in 285 patients. Hepatology 55: pp. 1432-1442 CrossRef
- Katyal, S, Oliver, JH, Peterson, MS, Ferris, JV, Carr, BS, Baron, RL (2000) Extrahepatic metastases of hepatocellular carcinoma. Radiology 216: pp. 698-703
- Chen ZN XJ, Zhang SH, inventor; NTD Patent & Trademark Agency Ltd., Beijing office, assignee. Anti-human hepatoma monoclonal antibody HAb18 light/heavy chain variable region gene, and use thereof. Chinese 2002 March 15; PCT international patent WO03/078469. 2003 March 17.
- Miller, AB, Hoogstraten, B, Staquet, M, Winkler, A (1981) Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer 47: pp. 207-214 CrossRef
- Li, Y, Shang, P, Qian, AR, Wang, L, Yang, Y, Chen, ZN (2003) Inhibitory effects of antisense RNA of HAb18G/CD147 on invasion of hepatocellular carcinoma cells in vitro. World J Gastroenterol 9: pp. 2174-2177
- Hepatic artery injection of 131I-labelled metuximab combined with chemoembolization for intermediate hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective nonrandomized study
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 39, Issue 8 , pp 1306-1315
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The First Department of Interventional Radiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200438, China
- 2. The Second Department of Hepatic Surgery, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
- 3. The Third Department of Hepatic Surgery, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
- 4. Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China