Nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging with a novel cadmium-zinc-telluride detector SPECT/CT device: first validation versus invasive coronary angiography
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We evaluated the diagnostic accuracy of attenuation corrected nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging (MPI) with a novel hybrid single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)/CT device consisting of an ultrafast dedicated cardiac gamma camera with cadmium-zinc-telluride (CZT) solid-state semiconductor detectors integrated onto a multislice CT scanner to detect coronary artery disease (CAD). Invasive coronary angiography served as the standard of reference.
The study population included 66 patients (79% men; mean age 63 ± 11 years) who underwent 1-day 99mTc-tetrofosmin pharmacological stress/rest examination and angiography within 3 months. Sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV) and negative predictive value (NPV) as well as accuracy of the CT X-ray based attenuation corrected CZT MPI for detection of CAD (≥50% luminal narrowing) was calculated on a per-patient basis.
The prevalence of angiographic CAD in the study population was 82%. Sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV and accuracy were 87, 67, 92, 53 and 83%, respectively.
In this first report on CZT SPECT/CT MPI comparison versus angiography we confirm a high accuracy for detection of angiographically documented CAD.
- Madsen MT. Recent advances in SPECT imaging. J Nucl Med 2007;48:661–73. CrossRef
- Sharir T, Ben-Haim S, Merzon K, Prochorov V, Dickman D, Ben-Haim S, et al. High-speed myocardial perfusion imaging initial clinical comparison with conventional dual detector anger camera imaging. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2008;1:156–63. CrossRef
- Herzog BA, Buechel RR, Husmann L, Pazhenkottil AP, Burger IA, Wolfrum M, et al. Validation of CT attenuation correction for high-speed myocardial perfusion imaging using a novel cadmium-zinc-telluride detector technique. J Nucl Med 2010;51:1539–44. CrossRef
- Buechel RR, Herzog BA, Husmann L, Burger IA, Pazhenkottil AP, Treyer V, et al. Ultrafast nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging on a new gamma camera with semiconductor detector technique: first clinical validation. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2010;37:773–8. CrossRef
- Pazhenkottil AP, Buechel RR, Herzog BA, Nkoulou RN, Valenta I, Fehlmann U, et al. Ultrafast assessment of left ventricular dyssynchrony from nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging on a new high-speed gamma camera. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2010;37:2086–92. CrossRef
- Herzog BA, Buechel RR, Katz R, Brueckner M, Husmann L, Burger IA, et al. Nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging with a cadmium-zinc-telluride detector technique: optimized protocol for scan time reduction. J Nucl Med 2009;51:46–51. CrossRef
- Hesse B, Tägil K, Cuocolo A, Anagnostopoulos C, Bardiés M, Bax J, et al. EANM/ESC procedural guidelines for myocardial perfusion imaging in nuclear cardiology. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2005;32:855–97. CrossRef
- Schepis T, Gaemperli O, Koepfli P, Rüegg C, Burger C, Leschka S, et al. Use of coronary calcium score scans from stand-alone multislice computed tomography for attenuation correction of myocardial perfusion SPECT. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2007;34:11–9. CrossRef
- Berman DS, Kiat H, Friedman JD, Wang FP, van Train K, Matzer L, et al. Separate acquisition rest thallium-201/stress technetium-99m sestamibi dual-isotope myocardial perfusion single-photon emission computed tomography: a clinical validation study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;22:1455–64. CrossRef
- Pazhenkottil AP, Nkoulou RN, Ghadri JR, Herzog BA, Buechel RR, Küest SM, et al. Prognostic value of cardiac hybrid imaging integrating single-photon emission computed tomography with coronary computed tomography angiography. Eur Heart J 2011;32:1465–71. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehr047. CrossRef
- Gaemperli O, Husmann L, Schepis T, Koepfli P, Valenta I, Jenni W, et al. Coronary CT angiography and myocardial perfusion imaging to detect flow-limiting stenoses: a potential gatekeeper for coronary revascularization? Eur Heart J 2009;30:2921–9. CrossRef
- Tonino PA, De Bruyne B, Pijls NH, Siebert U, Ikeno F, van’t Veer M, et al. Fractional flow reserve versus angiography for guiding percutaneous coronary intervention. N Engl J Med 2009;360:213–24. CrossRef
- Rozanski A, Diamond GA, Berman D, Forrester JS, Morris D, Swan HJ. The declining specificity of exercise radionuclide ventriculography. N Engl J Med 1983;309:518–22. CrossRef
- Klocke FJ, Baird MG, Lorell BH, Bateman TM, Messer JV, Berman DS, et al. ACC/AHA/ASNC guidelines for the clinical use of cardiac radionuclide imaging–executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (ACC/AHA/ASNC Committee to Revise the 1995 Guidelines for the Clinical Use of Cardiac Radionuclide Imaging). Circulation 2003;108:1404–18. CrossRef
- European Association for Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions, Wijns W, Kolh P, Danchin N, Di Mario C, Falk V, et al. Guidelines on myocardial revascularization: The Task Force on Myocardial Revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur Heart J 2010;31:2501–55. CrossRef
- Gaemperli O, Kaufmann PA. Multimodality cardiac imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2010;17:4–7. CrossRef
- Tonino PA, Fearon WF, De Bruyne B, Oldroyd KG, Leesar MA, Ver Lee PN, et al. Angiographic versus functional severity of coronary artery stenoses in the FAME study fractional flow reserve versus angiography in multivessel evaluation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:2816–21. CrossRef
- Pazhenkottil AP, Ghadri JR, Nkoulou RN, Wolfrum M, Buechel RR, Küest SM, et al. Improved outcome prediction by SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging after CT attenuation correction. J Nucl Med 2011;52:196–200. CrossRef
- Garcia EV, Faber TL, Esteves FP. Cardiac dedicated ultrafast SPECT cameras: new designs and clinical implications. J Nucl Med 2011;52:210–7. CrossRef
- Nkoulou RN PA, Kuest SM, Ghadri JR, Wolfrum M, Husmann L, Fiechter M, Buechel RR, Herzog BA, Koepfli P, Burger C, Gaemperli O, Kaufmann PA. Semiconductor detectors allow low-dose/low-dose one-day SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Med 2011; in press.
- Buechel RR, Pazhenkottil AP, Herzog BA, Husmann L, Nkoulou RN, Burger IA, et al. Real-time breath-hold triggering of myocardial perfusion imaging with a novel cadmium-zinc-telluride detector gamma camera. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2010;37:1903–8. CrossRef
- Giorgetti A, Rossi M, Stanislao M, Valle G, Bertolaccini P, Maneschi A, et al. Feasibility and diagnostic accuracy of a gated SPECT early-imaging protocol: a multicenter study of the Myoview Imaging Optimization Group. J Nucl Med 2007;48:1670–5. CrossRef
- Nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging with a novel cadmium-zinc-telluride detector SPECT/CT device: first validation versus invasive coronary angiography
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 38, Issue 11 , pp 2025-2030
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Invasive coronary angiography
- Attenuation correction
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Cardiac Imaging, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2. Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology (ZIHP), University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland