Diagnostic 131I whole-body scintigraphy 1 year after thyroablative therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: correlation of results to the individual risk profile and long-term follow-up
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
131I whole-body scan (WBS) and serum thyroglobulin (TG) are important in detecting thyroid remnants or recurrent disease in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Usually, a diagnostic WBS is carried out 6 months after ablation to exclude residual disease. We retrospectively analysed results of a second routine diagnostic WBS and TG measurements at 1 year after thyroablation and correlated these to the risk profile of patients with long-term follow-up.
A total of 197 patients were followed up after thyroidectomy and ablative 131I therapy. Follow-up included clinical examination, radioiodine WBS and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), free thyroxine and TG measurements at 3–6 months and 1 year after ablation. WBS (+) patients received a therapeutic activity of 131I. The risk profile of patients was defined according to clinical results before the 1-year control. Clinical results at 1 year after ablation were analysed in correlation to the patient risk profile and long-term follow-up data (mean 7.2 years).
One year after thyroablation, 95.8% of low-risk patients had no residual disease when diagnostic WBS was carried out using 370 MBq 131I; 4.2% of low-risk patients had residual disease at this time point. In the high-risk group of this cohort, 54.5% were disease-free 1 year after ablation, but 45.5% demonstrated residual disease. After the 1-year control, 94% of all applied radioiodine therapies were executed in the high-risk group, compared with 6% in the low-risk group (p < 0.01).
A second routine WBS 1 year after thyroablation is not indicated in low-risk patients. Risk stratification according to the early clinical course effectively identified patients with higher likelihood of persistent or recurrent disease in the long-term follow-up.
- Reiners C, Dietlein M, Luster M. Radio-iodine therapy in differentiated thyroid cancer: indications and procedures. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008;22:989–1007. CrossRef
- Junginger T. Leitlinien der Deutschen Krebsgesellschaft e.V. zur Therapie maligner Schilddrüsentumoren. Forum Dtsch Krebsgesellschaft 1997;2:14–21.
- Dietlein M, Dressler J, Eschner W, Grünwald F, Lassmann M, Leisner B, et al. Procedure guideline for iodine-131 whole-body scintigraphy for differentiated thyroid cancer (version 3). Nuklearmedizin 2007;46:206–12. German.
- Black EG, Sheppard MC, Hoffenberg R. Serial serum thyroglobulin measurements in the management of differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1987;27:115–20. CrossRef
- Charles MA, Dodson Jr LE, Waldeck N, Hofeldt F, Ghaed N, Telepak R, et al. Serum thyroglobulin levels predict total body iodine scan findings in patients with treated well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Am J Med 1980;69:401–7. CrossRef
- Ozata M, Suzuki S, Miyamoto T, Liu RT, Fierro-Renoy F, DeGroot LJ. Serum thyroglobulin in the follow-up of patients with treated differentiated thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994;79:98–105. CrossRef
- Ronga G, Fiorentino A, Paserio E, Signore A, Todino V, Tummarello MA, et al. Can iodine-131 whole-body scan be replaced by thyroglobulin measurement in the post-surgical follow-up of differentiated thyroid carcinoma? J Nucl Med 1990;31:1766–71.
- Tuttle RM. Risk-adapted management of thyroid cancer. Endocr Pract 2008;14:764–74.
- Tuttle RM, Leboeuf R, Shaha AR. Medical management of thyroid cancer: a risk adapted approach. J Surg Oncol 2008;97:712–6. CrossRef
- Schlumberger M, Fragu P, Gardet P, Lumbroso J, Violot D, Parmentier C. A new immunoradiometric assay (IRMA) system for thyroglobulin measurement in the follow-up of thyroid cancer patients. Eur J Nucl Med 1991;18:153–7. CrossRef
- Schlumberger MJ. Papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. N Engl J Med 1998;338:297–306. CrossRef
- Cailleux AF, Baudin E, Travagli JP, Ricard M, Schlumberger M. Is diagnostic iodine-131 scanning useful after total thyroid ablation for differentiated thyroid cancer? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:175–8. CrossRef
- Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Dralle H, Elisei R, Smit JW, Wiersinga W, et al. European consensus for the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium. Eur J Endocrinol 2006;154:787–803. CrossRef
- Schlumberger M, Berg G, Cohen O, Duntas L, Jamar F, Jarzab B, et al. Follow-up of low-risk patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a European perspective. Eur J Endocrinol 2004;150:105–12. CrossRef
- Mazzaferri EL, Kloos RT. Clinical review 128: current approaches to primary therapy for papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:1447–63. CrossRef
- Brierley JD, Tsang RW. External beam radiation therapy for thyroid cancer. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2008;37:497–509, xi. CrossRef
- Roelants V, Nayer PD, Bouckaert A, Beckers C. The predictive value of serum thyroglobulin in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid cancer. Eur J Nucl Med 1997;24:722–7.
- Spencer CA, Lopresti JS. Measuring thyroglobulin and thyroglobulin autoantibody in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2008;4:223–33. CrossRef
- Waxman A, Ramanna L, Chapman N, Chapman D, Brachman M, Tanasescu D, et al. The significance of 1-131 scan dose in patients with thyroid cancer: determination of ablation: concise communication. J Nucl Med 1981;22:861–5.
- Phan TT, van Tol KM, Links TP, Piers DA, de Vries EG, Dullaart RP, et al. Diagnostic I-131 scintigraphy in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: no additional value of higher scan dose. Ann Nucl Med 2004;18:641–6. CrossRef
- Pineda JD, Lee T, Ain K, Reynolds JC, Robbins J. Iodine-131 therapy for thyroid cancer patients with elevated thyroglobulin and negative diagnostic scan. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1995;80:1488–92. CrossRef
- Diagnostic 131I whole-body scintigraphy 1 year after thyroablative therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: correlation of results to the individual risk profile and long-term follow-up
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 451-458
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Diagnostic 131I whole-body scintigraphy
- Thyroablative therapy
- Differentiated thyroid cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Clinical Radiology, Ludwig-Maximilians University of Munich, Grosshadern Campus, Marchioninistr. 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
- 1. Department of Nuclear Medicine, Ludwig-Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany