EANM Dosimetry Committee guidance document: good practice of clinical dosimetry reporting
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Many recent publications in nuclear medicine contain data on dosimetric findings for existing and new diagnostic and therapeutic agents. In many of these articles, however, a description of the methodology applied for dosimetry is lacking or important details are omitted. The intention of the EANM Dosimetry Committee is to guide the reader through a series of suggestions for reporting dosimetric approaches. The authors are aware of the large amount of data required to report the way a given clinical dosimetry procedure was implemented. Another aim of this guidance document is to provide comprehensive information for preparing and submitting publications and reports containing data on internal dosimetry. This guidance document also contains a checklist which could be useful for reviewers of manuscripts submitted to scientific journals or for grant applications. In addition, this document could be used to decide which data are useful for a documentation of dosimetry results in individual patient records. This may be of importance when the approval of a new radiopharmaceutical by official bodies such as EMA or FDA is envisaged.
- Wahl RL. Tositumomab and 131I therapy in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J Nucl Med 2005;46 Suppl 1:128S–40S.
- Gaze MN, Chang YC, Flux GD, Mairs RJ, Saran FH, Meller ST. Feasibility of dosimetry-based high-dose 131I-meta-iodobenzylguanidine with topotecan as a radiosensitizer in children with metastatic neuroblastoma. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2005;20:195–9. CrossRef
- Noseda M, McLean GR. Where did the scientific method go? Nat Biotechnol 2008;26:28–9. CrossRef
- Busemann Sokole E, Plachcinska A, Britten A, Lyra Georgosopoulou M, Tindale W, Klett R. Routine quality control recommendations for nuclear medicine instrumentation. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2010;37:662–71. CrossRef
- Lassmann M, Luster M, Hanscheid H, Reiners C. Impact of 131I diagnostic activities on the biokinetics of thyroid remnants. J Nucl Med 2004;45:619–25.
- Jonsson L, Ljungberg M, Strand SE. Evaluation of accuracy in activity calculations for the conjugate view method from Monte Carlo simulated scintillation camera images using experimental data in an anthropomorphic phantom. J Nucl Med 2005;46:1679–86.
- He B, Du Y, Segars WP, Wahl RL, Sgouros G, Jacene H, et al. Evaluation of quantitative imaging methods for organ activity and residence time estimation using a population of phantoms having realistic variations in anatomy and uptake. Med Phys 2009;36:612–9. CrossRef
- Assié K, Dieudonne A, Gardin I, Buvat I, Tilly H, Vera P. Comparison between 2D and 3D dosimetry protocols in 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan radioimmunotherapy of patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2008;23:53–64. CrossRef
- Vriens D, Visser EP, de Geus-Oei LF, Oyen WJ. Methodological considerations in quantification of oncological FDG PET studies. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2010;37:1408–25. CrossRef
- Jaszczak RJ, Floyd CE, Coleman RE. Scatter compensation techniques for SPECT. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci 1985;32:786–93. CrossRef
- Ichihara T, Ogawa K, Motomura N, Kubo A, Hashimoto S. Compton scatter compensation using the triple-energy window method for single- and dual-isotope SPECT. J Nucl Med 1993;34:2216–21.
- Jentzen W. Experimental investigation of factors affecting the absolute recovery coefficients in iodine-124 PET lesion imaging. Phys Med Biol. 2010;55:2365–98. CrossRef
- Jentzen W, Weise R, Kupferschlager J, Freudenberg L, Brandau W, Bares R, et al. Iodine-124 PET dosimetry in differentiated thyroid cancer: recovery coefficient in 2D and 3D modes for PET(/CT) systems. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2008;35:611–23. CrossRef
- Hobbs RF, Baechler S, van Senthamizhchel S, Prideaux AR, Esaias CE, Reinhardt M, et al. A gamma camera count rate saturation correction method for whole-body planar imaging. Phys Med Biol 2010;55:817–31. CrossRef
- Chiesa C, Negri A, Albertini C, Azzeroni R, Setti E, Mainardi L, et al. (2009) A practical dead time correction method in planar activity quantification for dosimetry during radionuclide therapy. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2009;53:658–70
- Gregory RA, Hooker CA, Partridge M, Flux GD. Optimization and assessment of quantitative 124I imaging on a Philips Gemini dual GS PET/CT system. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2009;36:1037–48. CrossRef
- Walrand S, Jamar F, Mathieu I, De Camps J, Lonneux M, Sibomana M, et al. Quantitation in PET using isotopes emitting prompt single gammas: application to yttrium-86. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2003;30:354–61. CrossRef
- Lassmann M, Hänscheid H, Chiesa C, Hindorf C, Flux G, Luster M. EANM Dosimetry Committee series on standard operational procedures for pre-therapeutic dosimetry I: blood and bone marrow dosimetry in differentiated thyroid cancer therapy. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2008;35:1405–12. CrossRef
- Flux GD, Guy MJ, Beddows R, Pryor M, Flower MA. Estimation and implications of random errors in whole-body dosimetry for targeted radionuclide therapy. Phys Med Biol 2002;47:3211–23. CrossRef
- Divoli A, Spinelli A, Chittenden S, Dearnaley D, Flux G. Whole-body dosimetry for targeted radionuclide therapy using spectral analysis. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2005;20:66–71. CrossRef
- Glatting G, Kletting P, Reske SN, Hohl K, Ring C. Choosing the optimal fit function: comparison of the Akaike information criterion and the F-test. Med Phys 2007;34:4285–92. CrossRef
- Bolch WE, Eckerman KF, Sgouros G, Thomas SR. MIRD pamphlet No. 21: a generalized schema for radiopharmaceutical dosimetry – standardization of nomenclature. J Nucl Med 2009;50:477–84. CrossRef
- Divoli A, Chiavassa S, Ferrer L, Barbet J, Flux GD, Bardies M. Effect of patient morphology on dosimetric calculations for internal irradiation as assessed by comparisons of Monte Carlo versus conventional methodologies. J Nucl Med 2009;50:316–23. CrossRef
- International Commission on Radiation Units. Absorbed-dose specifications in nuclear medicine. J ICRU. 2002;2:5–110.
- Stabin MG, Sparks RB, Crowe E. OLINDA/EXM: the second-generation personal computer software for internal dose assessment in nuclear medicine. J Nucl Med 2005;46:1023–7.
- Grosev D, Loncaric S, Huic D, Dodig D. Geometric models in dosimetry of thyroid remnant mass. Nuklearmedizin 2008;47:120–6.
- Dale RG. Dose-rate effects in targeted radiotherapy. Phys Med Biol 1996;41:1871–84. CrossRef
- O'Donoghue JA. Implications of nonuniform tumor doses for radioimmunotherapy. J Nucl Med 1999;40:1337–41.
- EANM Dosimetry Committee guidance document: good practice of clinical dosimetry reporting
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 38, Issue 1 , pp 192-200
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Targeted radiotherapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Würzburg, Oberdürrbacher Str. 6, 97080, Würzburg, Germany
- 2. Nuclear Medicine Unit, Foundation IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
- 3. Joint Department of Physics, Royal Marsden Hospital & Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
- 4. INSERM, UMR892 – Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie, Nantes, France