Clinical features and 123 I-FP-CIT SPECT imaging in drug-induced parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine clinical predictors and accuracy of 123I-FP-CIT SPECT imaging in the differentiation of drug-induced parkinsonism (DIP) and Parkinson’s disease (PD).
Several clinical features and 123I-FP-CIT SPECT images in 32 patients with DIP, 25 patients with PD unmasked by antidopaminergic drugs (PDu) and 22 patients with PD without a previous history of antidopaminergic treatment (PDc) were retrospectively evaluated.
DIP and PD shared all clinical features except symmetry of parkinsonian signs which was more frequently observed in patients with DIP (46.9%) than in patients with PDu (16.0%, p<0.05) or PDc (4.5%, p<0.01). Qualitatively 123I-FP-CIT SPECT images were normal in 29 patients with DIP (90.6%) and abnormal in all patients with PD, and this imaging technique showed high levels of accuracy.
DIP and PD are difficult to differentiate based on clinical signs. The precision of clinical diagnosis could be reliably enhanced by 123I-FP-CIT SPECT imaging.
- Clinical features and 123I-FP-CIT SPECT imaging in drug-induced parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 556-564
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Drug-induced parkinsonism
- Parkinson’s disease
- 123I-FP-CIT SPECT imaging
- Dopamine transporter
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Unidad de Trastornos del Movimiento, Servicio de Neurología, Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío/CSIC/Universidad de Sevilla, Seville, Spain
- 2. Unidad Diagnóstica de Medicina Nuclear, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Seville, Spain
- 3. Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas (CIBERNED), Seville, Spain
- 4. Unidad de Trastornos del Movimiento. Servicio de Neurología, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío, Av. Manuel Siurot s/n., 41013, Seville, Spain