Potential impact of 68Ga-DOTATOC PET/CT on stereotactic radiotherapy planning of meningiomas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Since meningiomas show a high expression of somatostatin receptor subtype 2, PET with 68Ga-DOTATOC was proposed as an additional imaging modality beside CT and MRI for planning radiotherapy. We investigated the input of 68Ga-DOTATOC-PET/CT on the definition of the “gross tumour volume” (GTV) in meningiomas, in order to assess the potential value of this method.
Prior to radiotherapy, 42 patients with meningiomas (26 f, 16 m, mean age 55) underwent MRI and 68Ga-DOTATOC-PET/CT examinations. History: operated n = 24, radiotherapy n = 1, operation and radiotherapy n = 8, no treatment n = 9. PET/CT and MRI data were co-registered using a BrainLAB workstation. For comparison, the GTV was defined first under consideration of CT and MRI data, then using PET data.
3/42 patients were excluded from the analysis (two with negative PET results, one with an extensive tumour, not precisely delineable by MRI or PET/CT). The average GTVCT/MRI was 22(±19)cm³; GTVPET was 23(±20)cm³. Additional GTV, obtained as a result of PET was 9(±10)cm³ and was observed in patients with osseous infiltration. In some pre-treated patients there were intratumoural areas (as identified in CT/MRI) without SR-expression (7(±11)cm³). Common GTV as obtained by both CT/MRI and PET was 15(±14)cm³. The mean bi-directional difference between the GTVCT/MRI and GTVPET accounted to 16(±15)cm³ (93%, p < 0.001). In a subgroup of seven patients with multiple meningiomas, PET showed a total of 19 lesions; nine of them were not recognizable by CT or MRI.
68Ga-DOTATOC-PET enables delineation of SR-positive meningiomas and delivers additional information to both CT and MRI regarding the planning of stereotactic radiotherapy. The acquisition on a PET/CT scanner helps to estimate the relation of PET findings to anatomical structures and is especially useful for detection of osseous infiltration. 68Ga-DOTATOC-PET also allows detection of additional lesions in patients with multiple meningiomas.
- Preston-Martin S. Descriptive epidemiology of primary tumors of the brain, cranial nerves and cranial meninges in Los Angeles County. Neuroepidemiology. 1989;8:283–95. CrossRef
- Simpson D. The recurrence of intracranial meningiomas after surgical treatment. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1957;20:22–39. CrossRef
- Khoo VS, Adams EJ, Saran F, Bedford JL, Perks JR, Warrington AP, et al. A comparison of clinical target volumes determined by CT and MRI for the radiotherapy planning of base of skull meningiomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000;46:1309–17.
- Tomura N, Hirano H, Sashi R, Hashimoto M, Kato K, Takahashi S, et al. Comparison of MR imaging and CT in discriminating tumour infiltration of bone and bone marrow in the skull base. Comput Med Imaging Graph. 1998;22:41–51. CrossRef
- Paling MR, Black WC, Levine PA, Cantrell RW. Tumor invasion of the anterior skull base: a comparison of MR and CT studies. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1987;11:824–30. CrossRef
- Weingarten K, Ernst RJ, Jahre C, Zimmerman RD. Detection of residual or recurrent meningioma after surgery: value of enhanced vs. unenhanced MR imaging. Am J Roentgenol. 1992;158:645–50.
- Schörner W, Schubeus P, Henkes H, Lanksch W, Felix R. “Meningeal sign”: a characteristic finding of meningiomas on contrast-enhanced MR images. Neuroradiology. 1990;32:90–3. CrossRef
- Dutour A, Kumar U, Panetta R, Ouafik L, Fina F, Sasi R, et al. Expression of somatostatin receptor subtypes in human brain tumors. Int J Cancer. 1998;76:620–7. CrossRef
- Schulz S, Pauli SU, Schulz S, Händel M, Dietzmann K, Firsching R, et al. Immunohistochemical determination of five somatostatin receptors in meningioma reveals frequent over expression of somatostatin receptor subtype sst2A. Clin Cancer Res. 2000;6:1865–74.
- Schmidt M, Scheidhauer K, Luyken C, Voth E, Hildebrandt G, Klug N, et al. Somatostatin receptor imaging in intracranial tumours. Eur J Nucl Med. 1998;25:675–86. CrossRef
- Bohuslavizki KH, Brenner W, Braunsdorf WE, Behnke A, Tinnemeyer S, Hugo HH, et al. Somatostatin receptor scintigraphy in the differential diagnosis of meningioma. Nucl Med Commun. 1996;17:302–10. CrossRef
- Reubi JC, Schär JC, Waser B, Wenger S, Heppeler A, Schmitt JS, et al. Affinity profiles for human somatostatin receptor subtypes SST1-SST5 of somatostatin radiotracers selected for scintigraphic and radiotherapeutic use. Eur J Nucl Med. 2000;27:273–82. CrossRef
- Zhernosekov KP, Filosofov DV, Baum RP, Aschoff P, Bihl H, Razbash AA, et al. Processing of generator-produced 68Ga for medical application. J Nucl Med. 2007;48:1741–8. CrossRef
- Henze M, Schuhmacher J, Hipp P, Kowalski J, Becker DW, Doll J, et al. PET imaging of somatostatin receptors using [68GA]DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide: first results in patients with meningiomas. J Nucl Med. 2001;42:1053–6.
- Grosu AL, Lachner R, Wiedenmann N, Stärk S, Thamm R, Kneschaurek P, et al. Validation of a method for automatic image fusion (BrainLAB System) of CT data and 11C-methionine-PET data for stereotactic radiotherapy using a LINAC: first clinical experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003;56:1450–63. CrossRef
- ICRU Report 50. Prescribing, recording and reporting photon beam therapy. Bethesda, MD: International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements; 1993.
- ICRU Report 62. Prescribing, recording and reporting photon beam therapy. Supplement to ICRU Report 50. Bethesda, MD: International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements; 1999.
- Astner ST, Dobrei-Ciuchendea M, Essler M, Bundschuh RA, Sai H, Schwaiger M, et al. Effect of 11C-Methionine-Positron emission tomography on gross tumor volume delineation in stereotactic radiotherapy of skull base meningiomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008;15:1161–7.
- Nael K, Fenchel M, Salamon N, Duckwiler GR, Laub G, Finn JP, et al. Three-dimensional cerebral contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance venography at 3.0 Tesla: initial results using highly accelerated parallel acquisition. Invest Radiol. 2006;41(10):763–8. CrossRef
- Milker-Zabel S, Zabel-du Bois A, Henze M, Huber P, Schulz-Ertner D, Hoess A, et al. Improved target volume definition for fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy in patients with intracranial meningiomas by correlation of CT, MRI, and [68Ga]-DOTATOC-PET. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;65:222–7.
- Henze M, Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss A, Milker-Zabel S, Schuhmacher J, Strauss LG, Doll J, et al. Characterization of 68Ga-DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide kinetics in patients with meningiomas. J Nucl Med. 2005;46:763–9.
- Grosu AL, Weber WA, Astner ST, Adam M, Krause BJ, Schwaiger M, et al. 11C-methionine PET improves the target volume delineation of meningiomas treated with stereotactic fractionated radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006;66:339–44.
- Rutten I, Cabay JE, Withofs N, Lemaire C, Aerts J, Baart V, et al. PET/CT of skull base meningiomas using 2–18F-fluoro-L-tyrosine: initial report. J Nucl Med. 2007;48:720–5. CrossRef
- Iuchi T, Iwadate Y, Namba H, Osato K, Saeki N, Yamaura A, et al. Glucose and methionine uptake and proliferative activity in meningiomas. Neurol Res. 1999;21:640–4.
- Nyberg G, Bergstrom M, Enblad P, Lilja A, Muhr C, Langstrom B. PET-methionine of skull base neuromas and meningiomas. Acta Otolaryngol. 1997;117:482–9. CrossRef
- Gudjonsson O, Blomquist E, Lilja A, Ericson H, Bergström M, Nyberg G. Evaluation of the effect of high-energy proton irradiation treatment on meningiomas by means of 11C-L-methionine PET. Eur J Nucl Med. 2000;27:1793–9. CrossRef
- Weber W, Wester HJ, Grosu AL, Herz M, Dzewas B, Feldmann HJ, et al. O-(2-[18F] fluoroethyl)-L-tyrosine and L-[methyl-11C] methionine uptake in brain tumours: initial results of a comparative study. Eur J Nucl Med. 2000;27:542–9. CrossRef
- Pauleit D, Floeth F, Hamacher K, et al. O-(2-[18F]fluoroethyl)-L-tyrosine PET combined with MRI improves the diagnostic assessment of cerebral gliomas. Brain. 2005;128:678–87. CrossRef
- Stockhammer F, Plotkin M, Amthauer H, van Landeghem FK, Woiciechowsky C. Correlation of F-18-fluoro-ethyl-tyrosin uptake with vascular and cell density in non-contrast-enhancing gliomas. J Neuro Oncol. 2008;88:205–10. CrossRef
- Potential impact of 68Ga-DOTATOC PET/CT on stereotactic radiotherapy planning of meningiomas
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 37, Issue 2 , pp 310-318
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Somatostatin receptor
- Target volume definition
- Stereotactic radiotherapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department for Nuclear Medicine, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Charitéplatz 1, 10117, Berlin, Germany
- 3. Department for Radiation Therapy, Campus Virchow, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- 2. Department for Radiology, Campus Virchow, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- 4. Department for Radiation Safety and Medical Physics, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
- 5. Department for Radiation Therapy and Radiooncology, Klinikum Frankfurt (Oder), Frankfurt, Germany