18F-FDG PET/CT for early prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to prospectively evaluate 18F-FDG PET/CT in predicting response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in large primary breast cancer.
Fifty consecutive patients underwent PET/CT at baseline and after the second cycle. Baseline MRI was performed to establish tumour size. All findings were confirmed by histopathological analysis. Changes in maximum standardized uptake value (SUVmax) between baseline study and after two cycles of neoadjuvant chemotherapy (epirubicin + cyclophosphamide + taxanes) were compared using response evaluation criteria in solid tumours (RECIST) criteria and the Miller and Payne (M&P) scale.
The mean tumour size was 4.3 ± 1.4 cm. Forty patients were considered responders and ten as non-responders. SUVmax changes in patients with good prognosis (M&P grades 4–5) were higher than in patients with bad prognosis (M&P grades 1–3) (p = 0.025). SUVmax changes between responders and non-responders following RECIST criteria were also statistically significant (p = 0.0028). A cut-off ΔSUV value of 40% differentiates both groups, with a sensitivity of 77% and a specificity of 80%.
18F-FDG PET/CT can predict response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy at an early stage.
- Koscielny S, Tubiana M, Le MG, Valleron AJ, Mouriesse H, Contesso G, et al. Breast cancer: relationship between the size of the primary tumour and the probability of metastatic dissemination. Br J Cancer 1984;49:709–15.
- Schwarz JD, Bader M, Jenicke L, Hemminger G, Jänicke F, Avril N. Early prediction of response to chemotherapy in metastatic breast cancer using sequential 18F-FDG PET. J Nucl Med 2005;46:1144–50.
- Kuerer HM, Newman LA, Smith TL, Ames FC, Hunt KK, Dhingra K, et al. Clinical course of breast cancer patients with complete pathological primary tumour and axillary lymph node response to doxorubicin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 1999;17:460–9.
- Bonadonna G, Valagussa P, Brambilla C, Ferrari L, Moliterni A, Terenziani M, et al. Primary chemotherapy in operable breast cancer: eight-year experience at the Milan Cancer Institute. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:93–100.
- Verril MW, Ashley SE, Walsh GA, Ellis P, Sacks N, Gui G, et al. Pathological complete response (pCR) in patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy for operable breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998;50:328.
- Weber WA, Ott K, Becker K, Dittler HJ, Helmberger H, Avril NE, et al. Prediction of response to preoperative chemotherapy in adenocarcinomas of the esophagogastric junction by metabolic imaging. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:3058–65.
- Spaepen K, Stroobants S, Dupont P, Vandenberghe P, Thomas J, de Groot T, et al. Early restaging positron emission tomography with (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose predicts outcome in patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2002;13:1356–63. CrossRef
- Weber WA, Petersen V, Schmidt B, Tyndale-Hines L, Link T, Peschel C, et al. Positron emission tomography in non-small-cell lung cancer: prediction of response to chemotherapy by quantitative assessment of glucose use. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:2651–7. CrossRef
- Ott K, Fink U, Becker K, Stahl A, Dittler HJ, Busch R, et al. Prediction of response to preoperative chemotherapy in gastric carcinoma by metabolic imaging: results of a prospective trial. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:4604–10. CrossRef
- Wieder H, Brücher BL, Zimmermann F, Becker K, Lordick F, Beer A, et al. Time course of tumor metabolic activity during chemoradiotherapy of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and response to treatment. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:900–8. CrossRef
- Westerterp M, van Westreenen HL, Reitsma JB, Hoekstra OS, Stoker J, Fockens P, et al. Esophageal cancer: CT, endoscopic US and FDG PET for assessment of response to neoadjuvant therapy—systematic review. Radiology 2005;236:841–51. CrossRef
- Kalff V, Duong C, Drummond EG, Matthews JP, Hicks RJ. Findings of 18F-FDG PET scans after neoadjuvant chemoradiation provides prognostic stratification in patients with locally advanced rectal carcinoma subsequently treated by radical surgery. J Nucl Med 2006;47:14–22.
- Yamamoto Y, Nishiyama Y, Monden T, Sasakawa Y, Ohkawa M, Gotoh M, et al. Correlation of FDG PET findings with histopathology in the assessment of response to induction chemoradiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2006;33:140–7. CrossRef
- Wahl RL, Zasadny K, Helvie M, Hutchins GD, Weber B, Cody R. Metabolic monitoring of breast cancer chemohormonotherapy using positron emission tomography: initial evaluation. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:2101–11.
- Schelling M, Avril N, Nährig J, Kuhn W, Römer W, Sattler D, et al. Positron emission tomography using [F-18]fluorodeoxyglucose for monitoring primary chemotherapy in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:1689–95.
- Baum RP, Przetak C. Evaluation of therapy response in breast and ovarian cancer patients by positron emission tomography (PET). Q J Nucl Med 2001;45:257–68.
- Erdi YE, Macapinlac H, Rosenzweig KE, Humm JL, Larson SM, Erdi AK, et al. Use of PET to monitor the response of lung cancer to radiation treatment. Eur J Nucl Med 2000;27:861–6. CrossRef
- Findlay M, Young H, Cunningham D, Iveson A, Cronin B, Hickish T, et al. Noninvasive monitoring of tumor metabolism using fluorodeoxyglucose and positron emission tomography in colorectal cancer liver metastases: correlation with tumor response to fluorouracil. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:700–8.
- Smith JC, Welch AE, Hutcheon AW, Miller ID, Payne S, Chilcott F, et al. Positron emission tomography using [(18)F]-fluorodeoxy-D-glucose to predict the pathologic response of breast cancer to primary chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:1676–88.
- Jansson T, Westlin JE, Ahlström H, Lilja A, Långström B, Bergh J. Positron emission tomography studies in patients with locally advanced and/or metastatic breast cancer: a method for early therapy evaluation? J Clin Oncol 1995;13:1470–77.
- Berriolo-Riedinger A, Touzery C, Riedinger JM, Toubeau M, Coudert B, Arnould L, et al. [(18)F]FDG-PET predicts complete pathological response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2007;34:1915–24. CrossRef
- Rousseau C, Devillers A, Sagan C, Ferrer L, Bridji B, Campion L, et al. Monitoring of early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in stage II and III breast cancer by [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:5366–72. CrossRef
- Ogston KN, Miller ID, Payne S, Hutcheon AW, Sarkar TK, Smith L, et al. A new histological grading system to assess response of breast cancers to primary chemotherapy: prognostic significance and survival. Breast 2003;12:320–7. CrossRef
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, Wanders J, Kaplan RS, Rubinstein L, et al. New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000;92:205–16. CrossRef
- Therasse P, Eisenhauer EA, Verweij J. RECIST revisited: a review of validation studies on tumour assessment. Eur J Cancer 2006;42:1031–39. CrossRef
- Yamashiro H, Toi M. Update of evidence in chemotherapy for breast cancer. Int J Clin Oncol 2008;13:3–7. CrossRef
- Huber S, Wagner M, Zuna I, Medl M, Czembirek H, Delorme S. Locally advanced breast carcinoma: evaluation of mammography in the prediction of residual disease after induction chemotherapy. Anticancer Res 2000;20:553–8.
- Ciray I, Lindman H, Aström KG, Bergh J, Ahlström KH. Early response of breast cancer bone metastases to chemotherapy evaluated with MR imaging. Acta Radiol 2001;42:198–206. CrossRef
- Coronado M, Couto RM, Rodado S, Martín LM. (18)F-FDG PET/CT semiology (in Spanish). Rev Esp Med Nucl 2008;27:284–306. CrossRef
- Cortés-Funes H. Contribution of PET-CT in diagnostic-therapeutic decisions in medical oncology (in Spanish). Rev Esp Med Nucl 2008;27:79–82. CrossRef
- Minn H, Soini I. [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose scintigraphy in diagnosis and follow up of treatment in advanced breast cancer. Eur J Nucl Med 1989;15:61–6. CrossRef
- Fuster D, Duch J, Paredes P, Velasco M, Muñoz M, Santamaría G, et al. Preoperative staging of large primary breast cancer with [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography compared with conventional imaging procedures. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:4746–51. CrossRef
- Patz EF Jr, Lowe VJ, Hoffman JM, Paine SS, Burrowes P, Coleman RE, et al. Focal pulmonary abnormalities: evaluation with F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose PET scanning. Radiology 1993;188:487–90.
- Ueda S, Tsuda H, Asakawa H, Shigekawa T, Fukatsu K, Kondo N, et al. Clinicopathological and prognostic relevance of uptake level using 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography fusion imaging (18F-FDG PET/CT) in primary breast cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2008;38:250–8. CrossRef
- Young H, Baum R, Cremerius U, Herholz K, Hoekstra O, Lammertsma AA, et al. Measurement of clinical and subclinical tumour response using [18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose and positron emission tomography: review and 1999 EORTC recommendations. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) PET Study Group. Eur J Cancer 1999;35:1773–82. CrossRef
- Tiling R, Linke R, Untch M, Richter A, Fieber S, Brinkbäumer K, et al. 18F-FDG PET and 99mTc-sestamibi scintimammography for monitoring breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: a comparative study. Eur J Nucl Med 2001;28:711–20. CrossRef
- Sataloff DM, Mason BA, Prestipino AJ, Seinige UL, Lieber CP, Baloch Z. Pathologic response to induction chemotherapy in locally advanced carcinoma of the breast: a determinant of outcome. J Am Coll Surg 1995;180:297–306.
- Gralow JR, Burstein HJ, Wood W, Hortobagyi GN, Gianni L, von Minckwitz G, et al. Preoperative therapy in invasive breast cancer: pathologic assessment and systemic therapy issues in operable disease. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:814–9. CrossRef
- Kim SJ, Kim SK, Lee ES, Ro J, Kang S. Predictive value of [18F] FDG PET for pathological response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Ann Oncol 2004;15:1352–7. CrossRef
- 18F-FDG PET/CT for early prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 36, Issue 10 , pp 1551-1557
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Early prediction response
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Nuclear Medicine Department, Hospital Clínic de Barcelona, Villarroel, 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain