Optimizing interventions for preventing uptake in the brown adipose tissue in FDG-PET
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
With the increasing use of 18-fluoro-deoxy-glucose-positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) in the practice of medicine, enhanced glycolysis in brown adipose tissue (BAT) has posed a major concern for accurate interpretation of the images [1, 2]. Brown fat is a sub-type of adipose tissue and regulates body temperature by non-shivering thermogenesis. This has been termed “USA Fat” by some investigators . Histologically, it is characterized by high vascularity, dense mitochondria in the cells, and abundant sympathetic noradrenergic innervation. The usual distribution of BAT includes neck and shoulder region, axillae, mediastinum, retrocrural and paravertebral sites [1–4]. FDG uptake in BAT has been noted to occur more frequently in cold months . Recent data suggests that FDG uptake in BAT occurs more often as a result of acute response to cold weather rather than the prolonged periods of average cold weather . Significant localization of FDG in BAT has been particularly problemati ...
- Hany TF, Gharehpapagh E, Kamel EM, Buck A, Himms-Hagen J, von Schulthess GK. Brown adipose tissue: a factor to consider in symmetrical tracer uptake in the neck and upper chest region. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2002;29(10):1393–98. CrossRef
- Cohade C, Osman M, Pannu HK, Wahl RL. Uptake in supraclavicular area fat (“ USA-Fat”): description on 18F-FDG PET/CT. J Nucl Med 2003;44(2):170–76.
- Yeung HW, Grewal RK, Gonen M, Schoder H, Larson SM. Patterns of (18)F-FDG uptake in adipose tissue and muscle: a potential source of false-positives for PET. J Nucl Med 2003;44(11):1789–96.
- Wehrli NE, Bural G, Houseni M, Alkhawaldeh K, Alavi A, Torigian DA. Determination of age-related changes in structure and function of skin, adipose tissue, and skeletal muscle with computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and positron emission tomography. Semin Nucl Med 2007;37(3):195–205. CrossRef
- Cohade C, Mourtzikos KA, Wahl RL. “USA-Fat”: prevalence is related to ambient outdoor temperature—evaluation with 18F-FDG PET/CT. J Nucl Med 2003;44:1267–70.
- Kim S, Krynyckyi BR, Machac J, Kim CK. Temporal relation between temperature change and FDG uptake in brown adipose tissue. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2007 Dec 22 (in press).
- Clarke JR, Brglevska S, Lau EW, Ramdave S, Hicks RJ. Atypical brown fat distribution in young males demonstrated on PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med 2007;32(9):679–82. CrossRef
- Dobert N, Menzel C, Hamscho N, Wordehoff W, Kranert WT, Grunwald F. Atypical thoracic and supraclavicular FDG-uptake in patients with Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2004;48(1):33–8.
- Lele RD. Fat and muscle component of body mass index (BMI): relation with hyperinsulinemia. J Assoc Phys India 2007;55:203–10.
- Nedergaard J, Bengtsson T, Cannon B. Unexpected evidence for active brown adipose tissue in adult humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007;293(2):E444–E52. CrossRef
- Thackeray JT, Beanlands RS, Dasilva JN. Presence of specific 11C-meta-Hydroxyephedrine retention in heart, lung, pancreas, and brown adipose tissue. J Nucl Med 2007;48(10):1733–40. CrossRef
- Baba S, Tatsumi M, Ishimori T, Lilien DL, Engles JM, Wahl RL. Effect of nicotine and ephedrine on the accumulation of 18F-FDG in brown adipose tissue. J Nucl Med 2007;48(6):981–86. CrossRef
- Hadi M, Chen CC, Whatley M, Pacak K, Carrasquillo JA. Brown fat imaging with (18)F-6-fluorodopamine PET/CT, (18)F-FDG PET/CT, and (123)I-MIBG SPECT: a study of patients being evaluated for pheochromocytoma. J Nucl Med 2007;48(7):1077–83. CrossRef
- Yamaga LY, Thom AF, Wagner J, Baroni RH, Hidal JT, Funari MG. The effect of catecholamines on the glucose uptake in brown adipose tissue demonstrated by (18)F-FDG PET/CT in a patient with adrenal pheochromocytoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2007 Oct 2 (in press).
- Tatsumi M, Engles JM, Ishimori T, Nicely O, Cohade C, Wahl RL. Intense (18)F-FDG uptake in brown fat can be reduced pharmacologically. J Nucl Med 2004;45(7):1189–93.
- Soderlund V, Larsson SA, Jacobsson H. Reduction of FDG uptake in brown adipose tissue in clinical patients by a single dose of propranolol. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2007;34(7):1018–22. CrossRef
- Parysow O, Mollerach AM, Jager V, Racioppi S, San Roman J, Gerbaudo VH. Low-dose oral propranolol could reduce brown adipose tissue F-18 FDG uptake in patients undergoing PET scans. Clin Nucl Med 2007;32(5):351–57. CrossRef
- Gelfand MJ, O, hara SM, Curtwright LA, Maclean JR. Pre-medication to block [(18)F]FDG uptake in the brown adipose tissue of pediatric and adolescent patients. Pediatr Radiol 2005;35(10):984–90. CrossRef
- Christensen CR, Clark PB, Morton KA. Reversal of hypermetabolic brown adipose tissue in F-18 FDG PET imaging. Clin Nucl Med 2006;31(4):193–6. CrossRef
- Garcia CA, Van Nostrand D, Atkins F, Acio E, Butler C, Esposito G, et al. Reduction of brown fat 2-deoxy-2-[F-18]fluoro-D-glucose uptake by controlling environmental temperature prior to positron emission tomography scan. Mol Imaging Biol 2006;8(1):24–9. CrossRef
- Truong MT, Erasmus JJ, Munden RF, Marom EM, Sabloff BS, Gladish GW, et al. Focal FDG uptake in mediastinal brown fat mimicking malignancy: a potential pitfall resolved on PET/CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004;183(4):1127–32.
- Rousseau C, Bourbouloux E, Campion L, Fleury N, Bridji B, Chatal JF, Campone M, et al. Brown fat in breast cancer patients: analysis of serial (18)F-FDG PET/CT scans. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2006;33(7):785–91. CrossRef
- Shimizu Y, Satoh S, Yano H, Minokoshi Y, Cushman SW, Shimazu T. Effects of noradrenaline on the cell-surface glucose transporters in cultured brown adipocytes: novel mechanism for selective activation of GLUT1 glucose transporters. Biochem J 1998;330:397–403.
- Alkhawadeh K, Bural G, El-Haddad G, Houseni M, et al. Quantitative assessment of FDG uptake in brown fat using standardized uptake value and dual time point imaging. J Nucl Med 2006;47(Suppl 1):343P.
- Optimizing interventions for preventing uptake in the brown adipose tissue in FDG-PET
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 35, Issue 8 , pp 1421-1423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Brown adipose tissue
- Brown fat
- Industry Sectors