In vivo biodistribution of an androgen receptor avid PET imaging agent 7-α-fluoro-17 α-methyl-5-α-dihydrotestosterone ([18F]FMDHT) in rats pretreated with cetrorelix, a GnRH antagonist
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
For this study, we have assessed the in vivo distribution and androgen receptor (AR) seeking properties of an F-18-labeled androgen [18F]FMDHT in rats castrated with a GnRH antagonist.
Materials and methods
The radiochemical synthesis of [18F]FMDHT was performed using a previously published method. The radiochemical synthesis provided the desired product in good radiochemical yields and radiochemical purity. In vivo biodistribution studies were performed in chemically castrated rats. The animals were castrated using cetrorelix, a GnRH antagonist. To assess the specificity of [18F]FMDHT towards ARs, a separate group of animals was pretreated with a large dose of androgen before the [18F]FMDHT injection.
The in vivo biodistribution results show selective uptake of [18F]FMDHT in the prostate that ranged from 0.46 + 0.10 %ID/g at 1 h to 0.59 + 0.16 %ID/g at 3 h with prostate to muscle ratio ranging from 8.06 + 2.46 at 1 h to 18.81 + 4.90 at 3 h.
These in vivo distribution studies document a high selectivity and specificity of [18F]FMDHT towards AR rich tissues and suggests that [18F]FMDHT may be a useful in vivo PET imaging ligand.
- Mohler JL, Gregory CW, Ford OH 3rd, Kim D, Weaver CM, Petrusz P, et al. The androgen axis in recurrent prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2004;10:440–8. CrossRef
- Gelmann EP. Molecular biology of the androgen receptor. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:3001–15. CrossRef
- Garg PK, Labaree DC, Hoyte RM, Hochberg RB. [7a-18F]Fluoro-17a-methyl-5a-dihydrotestosterone: a ligand for androgen receptor-mediated imaging of prostate cancer. Nucl Med Biol 2001;28:85–90. CrossRef
- Garg PK, Labaree DC, Hoyte RM, Seibyl JP, Hochberg RB. An 18F labeled steroid for androgen receptor mediated imaging of prostate tumors and metasteses. J Labelled Comp Radiopharm 1999;42:S321–3.
- Labaree DC, Hoyte RM, Nazareth LV, Weigel NL, Hochberg RB. 7a-Iodo and fluoro steroids as androgen receptor mediated imaging agents. J Med Chem 1999;42:2021–34. CrossRef
- Salameh W, Bhasin S, Steiner B, McAdams LA, Peterson M, Swerdloff R. Marked suppression of gonadotropins and testosterone by an antagonist analog of gonadotropin-releasing hormone in men. Fertil Steril 1991;55:156–64.
- Klingmuller D, Schepke M, Enzweiler C, Bidlingmaier F. Hormonal responses to the new potent GnRH antagonist Cetrorelix. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1993;128:15–8.
- Garg S, Nichols KB, Black K, Labaree DC, Hochberg RB, Garg PK. Improved radiochemical synthesis and biodistribution of F-18 labeled androgen; [18F]FMDHT. Mol Imaging Biol 2005;7:178.
- Garg PK, Garg S, Zalutsky MR. Synthesis and preliminary evaluation of para- and meta-[18F]fluorobenzylguanidine. Nuc Med Biol 1994;21:97–103. CrossRef
- Dupont A, Labrie F, Giguere M, Borsanyi JP, Lacourciere Y, Bergeron N, et al. Combination therapy with flutamide and [D-Trp6]LHRH ethylamide for stage C prostatic carcinoma. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1988;24:659–66. CrossRef
- Trachtenberg J, Gittleman M, Steidle C, Barzell W, Friedel W, Pessis D, et al. A phase 3, multicenter, open label, randomized study of abarelix versus leuprolide plus daily antiandrogen in men with prostate cancer. J Urol 2002;167:1670–4. CrossRef
- Pinski J, Lamharzi N, Halmos G, Groot K, Jungwirth A, Vadillo-Buenfil M, et al. Chronic administration of the luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) antagonist cetrorelix decreases gonadotrope responsiveness and pituitary LHRH receptor messenger ribonucleic acid levels in rats. Endocrinology 1996;137:3430–6. CrossRef
- Lamharzi N, Schally AV, Koppan M. Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LH-RH) antagonist Cetrorelix inhibits growth of DU-145 human androgen-independent prostate carcinoma in nude mice and suppresses the levels and mRNA expression of IGF-II in tumors. Regul Pept 1998;77:185–92. CrossRef
- Horvath JE, Toller GL, Schally AV, Bajo AM, Groot K. Effect of long-term treatment with low doses of the LHRH antagonist Cetrorelix on pituitary receptors for LHRH and gonadal axis in male and female rats. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004;101:4996–5001. CrossRef
- Choe YS, Lidstrom PJ, Chi DY, Bonasera TA, Welch MJ, Katzenellenbogen JA. Synthesis of 11b-[18F]fluoro-5a-dihydrotestosterone and 11b-[18F]fluoro-19-nor-5a-dihydrotestosterone: Preparation via halofluorination-reduction, receptor binding, and tissue distribution. J Med Chem 1995;38:816–25. CrossRef
- Liu A, Dence CS, Welch MJ, Katzenellenbogen JA. Fluorine-18-labeled androgens: radiochemical synthesis and tissue distribution studies on six fluorine-substituted androgens, potential imaging agents for prostatic cancer. J Nucl Med 1992;33:724–34.
- Liu AJ, Katzenellenbogen JA, VanBrocklin HF, Mathias CJ, Welch MJ. 20-[18F]fluoromibolerone, a positron-emitting radiotracer for androgen receptors: synthesis and tissue distribution studies. J Nucl Med 1991;32:81–8.
- Brandes SJ, Katzenellenbogen JA. Fluorinated androgens and progestins: molecular probes for androgen and progesterone receptors with potential use in positron emission tomography. Mol Pharmacol 1987;32:391–403.
- Eagon PK, Seguiti SM, Rogerson BJ, McGuire TF, Porter LE, Seeley DH. Androgen receptor in rat liver: characterization and separation from a male-specific estrogen-binding protein. Arch Biochem Biophys 1989;268:161–75. CrossRef
- Sunahara GI, Finlayson MJ, Warren BL, Bellward GD. Characterization studies of a rat hepatic cytosolic androgen-binding protein. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1985;63:952–7.
- Fishman RB, Chism L, Firestone GL, Breedlove SM. Evidence for androgen receptors in sexually dimorphic perineal muscles of neonatal male rats. Absence of androgen accumulation by the perineal motoneurons. J Neurobiol 1990;21:694–704. CrossRef
- Cronauer MV, Schulz WA, Burchardt T, Anastasiadis AG, de la Taille A, Ackermann R, et al. The androgen receptor in hormone-refractory prostate cancer: relevance of different mechanisms of androgen receptor signaling (review). Int J Oncol 2003;23:1095–102.
- Henshall SM, Quinn DI, Lee CS, Head DR, Golovsky D, Brenner PC, et al. Altered expression of androgen receptor in the malignant epithelium and adjacent stroma is associated with early relapse in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 2001;61:423–7.
- Ricciardelli C, Choong CS, Buchanan G, Vivekanandan S, Neufing P, Stahl J, et al. Androgen receptor levels in prostate cancer epithelial and peritumoral stromal cells identify non-organ confined disease. Prostate 2005;63:19–28. CrossRef
- In vivo biodistribution of an androgen receptor avid PET imaging agent 7-α-fluoro-17 α-methyl-5-α-dihydrotestosterone ([18F]FMDHT) in rats pretreated with cetrorelix, a GnRH antagonist
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 35, Issue 2 , pp 379-385
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- F-18 FMDHT
- Androgen receptors
- Prostate cancer
- Tissue distribution in rats
- Positron emission tomography
- 7-α-fluoro-17 α-methyl-5-α-dihydrotestosterone
- Industry Sectors