How early? ASAP: molecular and functional imaging!
- Giovanni Lucignani
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The term “early” is used to mean near the beginning of a period of time, of a course, process, or series, as well as before the usual or expected time . In terms of the medical profession, it means that doctors are expected to diagnose and initiate a treatment near the beginning of the disease as well as to monitor the treatment response near the beginning of its course, during the progression/remission of the disease and, if this is the case, at intervals when a series of treatments are required. Early also means that all such interventions are required before the usual or expected time.
Therefore, during the course of applying diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, one of the key challenges is time and, in particular, the anticipation of the usual or expected time to achieve a diagnosis, to initiate a therapy, and to proceed to a response assessment and patient revaluation. Can molecular and functional imaging be synonymous of early and accurate?
Early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disea ...
- Mosconi L, Sorbi S, de Leon MJ, Li Y, Nacmias B, Myoung PS, et al. Hypometabolism exceeds atrophy in presymptomatic early-onset familial Alzheimer’s disease. J Nucl Med 2006;47 11:1778–86.
- Mondadori CR, Buchmann A, Mustovic H, Schmidt CF, Boesiger P, Nitsch RM, et al. Enhanced brain activity may precede the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease by 30 years. Brain 2006;129 Pt 11:2908–22. CrossRef
- Small GW, Kepe V, Ercoli LM, Siddarth P, Bookheimer SY, Miller KJ, et al. PET of brain amyloid and tau in mild cognitive impairment. N Engl J Med 2006;355 25:2652–63. CrossRef
- Juweid ME, Cheson BD. Positron-emission tomography and assessment of cancer therapy. N Engl J Med 2006;354 5:496–507. CrossRef
- Su H, Bodenstein C, Dumont RA, Seimbille Y, Dubinett S, Phelps ME, et al. Monitoring tumor glucose utilization by positron emission tomography for the prediction of treatment response to epidermal growth factor receptor kinase inhibitors. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12 19:5659–67. CrossRef
- Linden HM, Krohn KA, Livingston RB, Mankoff DA. Monitoring targeted therapy: is fluorodeoxylucose uptake a marker of early response? Clin Cancer Res 2006;12 19:5608–10. CrossRef
- Chaise C, Itti E, Petegnief Y, Wirquin E, Copie-Bergman C, Farcet JP, et al. [F-18]-Fluoro-2-deoxy-D: -glucose positron emission tomography as a tool for early detection of immunotherapy response in a murine B cell lymphoma model. Cancer Immunol Immunother DOI 10.1007/s00262-006-0265-02006 (Epub ahead of print).
- Kostakoglu L, Goldsmith SJ, Leonard JP, Christos P, Furman RR, Atasever T, et al. FDG-PET after 1 cycle of therapy predicts outcome in diffuse large cell lymphoma and classic Hodgkin disease. Cancer 2006;107 11:2678–87. CrossRef
- Rousseau C, Devillers A, Sagan C, Ferrer L, Bridji B, Campion L, et al. Monitoring of early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in stage II and III breast cancer by [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. J Clin Oncol 2006;24 34:5366–72. CrossRef
- Szyszko T, Al-Nahhas A, Canelo R, Habib N, Jiao L, Wasan H, et al. Assessment of response to treatment of unresectable liver tumours with 90Y microspheres: Value of FDG PET versus computed tomography. Nucl Med Commun 2007;28 1:15–20. CrossRef
- Mulder WJ, van der Schaft DW, Hautvast PA, Strijkers GJ, Koning GA, Storm G, et al. Early in vivo assessment of angiostatic therapy efficacy by molecular MRI. FASEB J Jan. 2007 (Epub ahead of print).
- Jingu K, Kaneta T, Nemoto K, Ichinose A, Oikawa M, Takai Y, et al. The utility of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography for early diagnosis of radiation-induced myocardial damage. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006;66 3:845–51.
- Mahmarian JJ, Shaw LJ, Filipchuk NG, Dakik HA, Iskander SS, Ruddy TD, et al. INSPIRE Investigators. A multinational study to establish the value of early adenosine technetium-99m sestamibi myocardial perfusion imaging in identifying a low-risk group for early hospital discharge after acute myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;48 12:2448–57. CrossRef
- How early? ASAP: molecular and functional imaging!
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 34, Issue 4 , pp 596-601
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Radiological Sciences, University of Milan, Unit of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital San Paolo, Via Antonio di Rudinì, 8, 20142, Milan, Italy