Pre-therapeutic dosimetry with radiolabelled somatostatin analogues in patients with advanced neuroendocrine tumours
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Helisch and co-workers have reported important data on pre-therapeutic dosimetry with radiolabelled somatostatin analogues in patients with advanced neuroendocrine tumours (Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2004;31:1386–1392). They compared the dosimetry and biodistribution of [86Y-DOTA-d-Phe1-Tyr3]-octreotide (DOTA-TOC) with those of 111In-pentetreotide. They concluded that adequate dosimetry prior to 90Y-DOTA-TOC therapy is mandatory and that dosimetry with both compounds is possible, although dosimetry with 86Y-DOTA-TOC is more adequate. The latter finding is not surprising since 86Y is the almost perfect surrogate for 90Y and since dosimetry with 86Y-DOTA-TOC was defined as the gold standard by the authors.
The authors point out that dosimetry with 86Y-DOTA-TOC is not widely available owing to the limited access to the radionuclide and the elaborate correction algorithm required. Therefore in our opinion the aim should be to find a more widely feasible method for pre-therapeutic o ...
- Reubi JC, Schar JC, Waser B, Wenger S, Heppeler A, Schmitt JS, et al. Affinity profiles for human somatostatin receptor subtypes SST1-SST5 of somatostatin radiotracers selected for scintigraphic and radiotherapeutic use. Eur J Nucl Med 2000;27(3):273–82. CrossRef
- Froidevaux S, Heppeler A, Eberle AN, Meier AM, Hausler M, Beglinger C, et al. Preclinical comparison in AR4-2J tumor-bearing mice of four radiolabeled 1,4,7,10-tetraazacyclododecane-1,4,7,10-tetraacetic acid-somatostatin analogs for tumor diagnosis and internal radiotherapy. Endocrinology 2000;141(9):3304–12. CrossRef
- Waldherr C, Pless M, Maecke H, Schumacher T, Crazzolara A, Nitzsche E, et al. Tumor response and clincical benefit in neuroendocrine tumors after 7.4 GBq 90Y-DOTATOC. J Nucl Med 2002;43:610–6.
- Paganelli G, Bodei L, Handkiewicz Junak D, Rocca P, Papi S, Lopera Sierra M, et al. 90Y-DOTA-d-Phe1-Try3-octreotide in therapy of neuroendocrine malignancies. Biopolymers 2002;66:393–8. CrossRef
- Otte A, Herrmann R, Heppeler A, Behe M, Jermann E, Powell P, et al. Yttrium-90 DOTATOC: first clinical results. Eur J Nucl Med 1999;26:1439–47. CrossRef
- Waldherr C, Pless M, Maecke HR, Haldemann A, Mueller-Brand J. The clinical value of [90Y-DOTA]-d-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide (90Y-DOTATOC) in the treatment of neuroendocrine tumours: a clinical phase II study. Ann Oncol 2001;12(7):941–5. CrossRef
- Kwekkeboom D, Bakker W, Kam BLR, Teunissen J, Kooij P, Herder W, et al. Treatment of patients with gastro-entero-pancreatic (GEP) tumours with the novel radiolabelled somatostatin analogue [177Lu-DOTA0, Tyr3]octreotate. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2003;30:417–22.
- Konijnenberg MW. Is the renal dosimetry for [90Y-DOTA0,Tyr3]octreotide accurate enough to predict thresholds for individual patients? Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2003;18(4):619–25. CrossRef
- Teunissen J, Kwekkeboom D, Krenning E. Quality of life in patients with gastro-entero- pancreatic tumors treated with [177Lu- DOTA0,Tyr3]octreotate. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:2724–9. CrossRef
- Jamar F, Barone R, Mathieu I, Walrand S, Labar D, Carlier P, et al. 86Y-DOTA0-d-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide (SMT 487)—a phase 1 clinical study: pharmacokinetics, biodistribution and renal protective effect of different regimens of amino acid co-infusion. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2003;30:510–8.
- De Jong M, Valkema R, Van Gameren A, Van Boven H, Bex A, Van De Weyer EP, et al. Inhomogeneous localization of radioactivity in the human kidney after injection of [111In-DTPA]octreotide. J Nucl Med 2004;45(7):1168–71.
- Moll S, Nickeleit V, Mueller-Brand J, Brunner FP, Maecke HR, Mihatsch MJ. A new cause of renal thrombotic microangiopathy: yttrium-90-DOTATOC internal radiotherapy. Am J Kidney Dis 2001;37(4):847–51.
- Pre-therapeutic dosimetry with radiolabelled somatostatin analogues in patients with advanced neuroendocrine tumours
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 32, Issue 4 , pp 511-512
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links