[Tc(CO)3]+ chemistry: a promising new concept for SPECT?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this commentary we will discuss some of the reasons why the [Tc(CO)3]+ approach to technetium radiopharmaceuticals has not obtained a place in the commercial arena. We do not disagree with the chemical achievements that were made in preparing bioactive technetium-labeled molecules utilizing the [Tc(CO)3]+ or [Re(CO)3]+ approach. For example, it is almost a decade since this approach was used in the synthesis of rhenium-labeled estrogen derivatives with high affinity for the estrogen receptor [1, 2]. One of us was a co-investigator on the evaluation of a technetium-labeled octreotide compound . This agent showed specific uptake in tissues containing elevated levels of somatostatin receptors. As stated in the conclusion of this article, it also possessed other key features of an imaging agent, namely in vivo stability, retention by target tissues and low background accumulation in non-target tissues. Many receptor-specific agents have been labeled utilizing the [Tc(CO)3]+ or [Re(CO
- Top S, El Hafa H, Vessiees A, et al. Rhenium carbonyl complexes of β-estradiol derivatives with high affinity for the estradiol receptor: an approach to selective organometallic radiopharmaceuticals. J Am Chem Soc 1995; 117:8372–8380.
- Top S, Vessieres A, Jaouen G. Synthetic strategy for organometallic complexes of rhenium with exceptionally high affinity for the oestradiol receptor; their potential use as imaging and therapeutic agents. J Chem Soc Chem Commun 1994; 453–454.
- Spradau TW, Edwards WB, Anderson CJ, Welch MJ, Katzenellenbogen JA. Synthesis and biological evaluation of Tc-99m-cyclopentadienyltricarbonytechnetium-labeled octreotide. Nucl Med Biol 1999; 26:1–7. CrossRef
- Nicolini M, Mazzi U. Technetium, rhenium and other metals in chemistry and nuclear medicine 6. Padova: SGEditoriali, 2002.
- Alberto R, Ortner K, Wheatley N, Schibli R, Schubiger AP. Synthesis and properties of boranocarbonate: a convenient in situ CO source for the aqueous preparation of [99mTc(OH2)3(CO)3]+. J Am Chem Soc 2001; 123:3135–3136.
- Albergo R, Schibli R, Egli A. Method for the preparation of facial metal tricarbonyl compounds and their use in the labeling of biologically active substrates. U.S. Patent 6 344 178. February 2002.
- Uetake M, Koizumi K, Yagawa A, Nogata H, Tezuka T, Kono H, Ozawa T, Kusano T, Miyabukuro M, Hosaka M. Use of Tc-99m DTPA galactosyl human serum albumin to predict postoperative residual liver function. Clin Nucl Med 1999; 24:428–434. CrossRef
- Hwang EH, Taki J, Shuke N, Nakajima K, Kinuya S, Konishi S, Michigishi T, Aburano T, Tonami N. Preoperative assessment of residual hepatic functional reserve using99mTc-DTPA-galactosyl-human serum albumin dynamic SPECT. J Nucl Med 1999; 40:1644–1651.
- Mitomo, Tsunoda T, Nakamura K, Kuwabara H. Quantification of intrahepatic non-uniform distributions for assessing impaired function of liver using99mTc-DTPA-galactosyl serum albumin liver SPECT scintigraphy. Nucl Med Commun 2001; 22:505–512. CrossRef
- [Tc(CO)3]+ chemistry: a promising new concept for SPECT?
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 30, Issue 9 , pp 1302-1304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links