Distribution of primary osteoarthritis in the ulnar aspect of the wrist and the factors that are correlated with ulnar wrist osteoarthritis: a cross-sectional study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose of this cross-sectional study was to identify the distribution of primary osteoarthritis (OA) in the ulnar aspect of the wrist, and analyze the factors correlated with OA at this site.
Materials and methods
A total of 1,128 cases of skeletally mature Japanese patients were collected over a 3-year period. We analyzed the posteroanterior and lateral wrist radiographs of these patients for the presence of primary OA in the ulnar aspect of the wrist, including the distal radioulnar (DRUJ), radiolunate, ulnolunate, lunotriquetral, triquetrohamate, lunohamate, and lunocapitate joints. All joints were examined for the frequency of primary OA. Multivariate logistic regression was used to investigate the factors correlated with the presence of degenerative arthritis in the ulnar aspect of the wrist joint.
Primary OA of the ulnar wrist was identified in 145 out of 1,128 cases (12.8 %). Degenerative changes were most frequently identified in the DRUJ (12.3 %), followed by the ulnolunate joint (8.1 %). Variations in radial inclination (RI), carpal height ratio (CHR), and ulnar variance (UV) correlated with OA of the ulnar aspect of the wrist, with variations in UV showing the highest correlation.
Primary OA of the ulnar wrist was most frequent in the DRUJ and second most frequent in the ulnolunate joint. UV correlated most with OA in the ulnar aspect of the wrist.
- Vezeridis PS, Yoshioka H, Han R, Blazar P. Ulnar-sided wrist pain. I. Anatomy and physical examination. Skeletal Radiol. 2010;39:733–45. CrossRef
- Watanabe A, Souza F, Vezeridis PS, Blazar P, Yoshioka H. Ulnar-sided wrist pain. II. Clinical imaging and treatment. Skeletal Radiol. 2010;39:837–57. CrossRef
- Grenberg JA. Reconstruction of the distal ulna: instability, impaction, impingement, and arthrosis. J Hand Surg. 2009;34A:351–6.
- Sachar K. Ulnar-sided wrist pain: evaluation and treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears, ulnocarpal impaction syndrome, and lunotriquetral ligament tears. J Hand Surg. 2012;37A:1489–500.
- Palmer AK. Triangular fibrocartilage complex lesions: a classification. J Hand Surg. 1989;14A:594–606.
- Szabo RM. Distal radioulnar joint instability. J Bone Joint Surg. 2006;88A:884–94.
- Watson HK, Ballet FL. The SLAC wrist: scapholunate advanced collapse pattern of degenerative arthritis. J Hand Surg. 1984;9A:358–65.
- Wollstein R, Clavijo J, Gilula LA. Osteoarthritis of the wrist STT joint and radiocarpal joint. Arthritis. 2012;2012:1–5. CrossRef
- Palmer AK, Glisson RR, Werner FW. Ulnar variance determination. J Hand Surg. 1982;7A:376–9.
- Nakamura R, Horii E, Imaeda T, Tsunoda K, Nakao E. Distal radioulnar joint subluxation and dislocation diagnosed by standard roentgenography. Skeletal Radiol. 1995;24:91–4. CrossRef
- Kallman DA, Wigley FM, Scott Jr WW, Hochberg MC, Tobin JD. New radiographic grading scales for osteoarthritis of the hand. Reliability for determining prevalence and progression. Ann Rheum Dis. 1989;32:1584–91.
- Jewell FM, Watt I, Doberty M. Plain radiographic features of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis. New York: Oxford University Press; 1998. p. 217–37.
- Kreder HJ, Hanel DP, Mckee M, Jupiter J, McGillivary G, Swiontkowski MF. X-ray film measurements for healed distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg. 1996;21A:31–9.
- Youm Y, McMurtry RY, Flatt AE, Gillespie TE. Kinematics of the wrist. I. An experimental study of radio-ulnar deviation and flexion-extension. J Bone Joint Surg. 1978;60A:423–31.
- Gartland JJ, Werley CW. Evaluation of healed Colles’ fractures. J Bone Joint Surg. 1951;33A:895–907.
- Friberg S, Lundstrom B. Radiographic measurements of the radio-carpal joint in normal adults. Acta Radiol Diagn. 1976;17:249–56.
- Landis JR, Koch GG. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics. 1977;33:159–74. CrossRef
- Yamazaki H, Kato H, Uchiyama S, Hata Y. Radiographic evaluation of the osteoarthritis in the distal radio ulnar joint between extensor tendon rupture and asymptomatic cases. J Jpn Sci Surg Hand. 2010;27:223–6 (in Japanese).
- Kellgren JH, Lawrence JS. Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 1957;16:494–502. CrossRef
- Nakamura R, Tanaka Y, Imaeda T, Miura T. The influence of age and sex on ulnar variance. J Hand Surg. 1991;16B:84–8.
- Werner FW, Murphy DJ, Palmer AK. Pressures in the distal radioulnar joint: effects of surgical procedures used for Kienbock’s disease. J Orthop Res. 1989;7:445–50. CrossRef
- Palmer AK, Werner FW. Biomechanics of the distal radioulnar joint. Clin Orthop. 1984;187:26–35.
- Fernandez DL. Correction of post-traumatic wrist deformity in adults by osteotomy, bone-grafting, and internal fixation. J Bone Joint Surg. 1982;64A:1164–78.
- Schuind FA, Linscheid RL, An KN, Chao E. A normal database of posteroanterior roentgenographic measurements of the wrist. J Bone Joint Surg. 1992;17A:24–30.
- Feipel V, Rinnen D, Rooze M. Postero-anterior radiography of the wrist. Normal database of carpal measurements. Surg Radiol Anat. 1998;20:221–6.
- Larsen CF, Mathiesen FK, Lindequist S. Measurements of carpal bone angles on lateral wrist radiographs. J Hand Surg. 1991;16A:888–93.
- Iida A, Omokawa S, Akahane M, Kawamura K, Takayama K, Tanaka Y. Distal radioulnar joint stress radiography for detecting radioulnar ligament injury. J Hand Surg Am. 2012;37A:968–74. CrossRef
- Distribution of primary osteoarthritis in the ulnar aspect of the wrist and the factors that are correlated with ulnar wrist osteoarthritis: a cross-sectional study
Volume 42, Issue 9 , pp 1253-1258
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Ulnar aspect
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kokuho Central Hospital, 404-1 Miyako, Tawaramoto, Nara, 636-0302, Japan
- 2. Department of Public Health, Health Management and Policy, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
- 3. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan