The future of MSK interventions
- Daniel I. Rosenthal
- … show all 1 hide
Interventional radiology has become so successful that it is easy to forget that it is a relative newcomer. Prior to 1980, arthrography was the only musculoskeletal intervention that was performed in most radiology departments.
Arthrography is an old procedure, first introduced in 1905 when air was used as the injected contrast agent . Positive contrast was introduced three decades later, and the introduction of fluoroscopic control took several decades more. Members of the society made significant contributions to the development of arthrography. One of the pioneers in this work was Dr. Robert Frieberger of the Hospital for Special Surgery (New York).
Percutaneous bone biopsy is also an old procedure, although it was largely the province of orthopedic surgeons for many years. Invention of the trephine needles (such as the Ackerman needle and the Craig needle) in the late 1950s, and the recognition of the value of image guidance, made it feasible for radiologists to perform this proce
- Cornelis JP. Arthrography of the knee joint. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1979. p. 1.
- Callstrom MR, Carboneau JW, Goetz MP, Rubin J, Atwell TD, Farrell MA, et al. Image-guided ablation of painful metastatic bone tumors: a new and effective approach to a difficult problem. Skelet Radiol. 2006;35:1–15. CrossRef
- Rosenthal DI, Springfield DS, Gebhardt MC, Rosenberg AE, Mankin HJ. Osteoid osteoma: percutaneous radio-frequency ablation. Radiology. 1995;197:451–4.
- Rybak LD, Rosenthal DI, Wittig JC. Chondroblastoma: radiofrequency ablation- alternative to surgical resection in selected cases. Radiology. 2009;251:599–604. CrossRef
- Restrepo-Garces CE, Marinov A, McHardy P, Faclier G, Avila A. Pulsed radiofrequency under ultrasound guidance for persistent stump neuroma pain. Pain Pract. 2011;11(1):98–102. CrossRef
- Finney W, Wiener SN, Catanzariti F. Treatment of Morton's neuroma using percutaneous electrocoagulation. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1989;79:615–8.
- Davalos RV, Mir LM, Rubinsky B. Tissue ablation with irreversible electroporation. J Biomed Eng. 2005;33:223–31. CrossRef
- Hynynenm K, Darkazanli A, Unger E, Schenck JF. MRI-guided noninvasive ultrasound surgery. Med Phys. 1993;20(1):107–15. CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, PR Ebeling m, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. NEJM. 2009;361:6. CrossRef
- Kallmes DF, Comstoc BA, Heagerty JA, et al. A Randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. NEJM. 2009;361:6. CrossRef
- Munk PL. Vertebroplasty: where do we go from here? Skelet Radiol. 2011;40:371–3. CrossRef
- Elshaug aG, Garber AM. How CER could pay for itself- insights from vertebral fracture treatments. NEJM. 2011;364:1390–3. CrossRef
- Betz OB, Betz VM, Nazarian A, Pilapil C, et al. Direct percutaneous gene delivery to enhance healing of segmental bone defects. J Bone Jt Surg. 2006;88-A:355–65. CrossRef
- Einhorn TA, Majeska RJ, Mohaideen A, Kagel EM, Bouxsein ML, Turek TJ, et al. A single percutaneous injection of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 accelerates fracture repair. J Bone Jt Surg. 2003;85-A:1425–35.
- Vandermeer JS, Kamiya N, Aya-ay J, Garces A, Browne R, Kim HKW. Local administration of ibandronate and bone morphogenetic protein-2 after ischemic osteonecrosis of the immature femoral head. J Bone Jt Surg. 2011;93-A:905–13. CrossRef
- Brown R, Orchard J, Kinchington M, Hooper A, Nalder G. Aprotinin in the management of Achilles tendinopathy: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40:275–9. CrossRef
- Mathis JM, Ortiz AO, Zoarski GH. Vertebroplasty versus kyphoplasty: a comparison and contrast. Am J Neuroradiol. 2004;25(5):840–5.
- The cost conundrum: what a Texas town can teach us about health care. Atul Gawande, The New Yorker, June 1, 2009.
- Abraham M, Mashkevich G. Monopolar radiofrequency skin tightening. Facial plastic surgery clinics of North America 15(2):169–177
- Vazquez J, Rosenthal D. Bilateral, symmetrical soft tissue calcifications in the face. Skelet Radiol. 2010;39(4):387–9. CrossRef
- The future of MSK interventions
Volume 40, Issue 9 , pp 1133-1136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA