Vertebroplasty: where do we go from here?
- Peter L. Munk
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Vertebroplasty has been a remarkable success story in the field of musculoskeletal interventional radiology. First devised in France in 1985 by Herve Deramond to treat cervical spine hemangiomas, it was soon being used to solve a variety of spinal problems that had previously been difficult to treat. Soon after its introduction it was used in the palliative treatment of spinal column metastases with great success. It was quickly recognized that percutaneous vertebroplasty was a relatively straightforward and simple solution to problems that had previously proven to be very complex, requiring in many instances surgery that had considerable morbidity and mortality. Not long afterwards vertebroplasty was applied to the solution of a less dramatic, but far more common problem that produced considerable morbidity—osteoporotic compression fractures.
Until the advent of vertebroplasty, osteoporotic compression fractures often proved to be a difficult therapeutic challenge. Although approximate
- Kallmes D, Comstock B, Heagerty P, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Eng J Med. 2009;361:569–79. CrossRef
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling P, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:557–68. CrossRef
- Esses, SI for the AAOS Treatment of Symptomatic Osteoporotic Spinal Compression Fractures Work Group http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/SCFguideline.asp
- OHTAC e-BULLETIN October 2010 Issue 11. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for the treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Balloon Kyphoplasty for treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: An evidence update. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/mas/mas_ohtac_rss.html.
- Baerlocher MO, Munk PL, Liu DM, Tomnlinson G, Badii M, Kee ST, et al. Clinical utility of vertebroplasty: need for better evidence. Radiology. 2010;255(3):669–74. CrossRef
- Baerlocher MO, Munk PL, Liu DM. Trials of vertebroplasty for vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(21):2098; author reply 2099–100.
- Baerlocher MO, Munk PL, Radvany MG, Murphy TP, Murphy KJ. Vertebroplasty, research design, and critical analysis. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2009;20(10):1277–8. CrossRef
- Munk PL, Liu DM, Murphy KP, Baerlocher MO. Effectiveness of vertebroplasty; a recent controversy. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2009;60(4):170–1. Comment in: Can Assoc Radiol J. 2010;61(2):121–2. CrossRef
- Gangi A, Clark WA. Have recent vertebroplasty trials changed the indications for vertebroplasty? Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2010;33:677–80. CrossRef
- Clark W, Goh AC. Vertebroplasty for acute osteoporotic spinal fractures—best evidence? J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010;21:1330–3. CrossRef
- Bogduk N, MacVicar J, Borowczyk J. The pain of vertebral compression fractures can arise in the posterior elements. Pain Med. 2010;11(11):1666–73. CrossRef
- Miller FG, Kallmes DF. The case of vertebroplasty trials: promoting a culture of evidence-based procedural medicine. Spine. 2010;35(23):2023–6.
- Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J, Jansen FH, Tielbeek AV, Blonk MC, et al. Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet. 2010;376(9746):1085–92. CrossRef
- Rousing R, Anderson M, Jespersen S, Thomsen K, Lauritsen J. Percutaneous vertebroplasty compared to conservative treatment in patients with painful acute or subacute osteoporotic vertebral fractures: three months follow up in a clinical randomized study. Spine. 2009;34:1349–54. CrossRef
- Vertebroplasty: where do we go from here?
Volume 40, Issue 4 , pp 371-373
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Peter L. Munk (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Vancouver General Hospital & The University of British Columbia, 899 west 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1M9, Canada