MRI follow-up after free tendon graft reconstruction of the thumb ulnar collateral ligament
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Our aim was to analyse whether MRI is useful in the follow-up of reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb, to describe normal postoperative findings, and to evaluate different MR sequences.
Material and Methods
Our study material consists of 10 patients who, because of a chronic rupture of the ulnar collateral ligament of the thumb, had been operatively treated using a free tendon graft. The patients were, in addition to the clinical examination and radiographs, also imaged using MRI both pre- and postoperatively. The postoperative MRI controls, undertaken at 2, 12 and 24 months were analysed without knowledge of the clinical or radiographic findings.
The reconstructed UCL was well visualised on MRI. One graft rupture was diagnosed on MRI and was later operatively confirmed. No increase in osteoarthritis of the metacarpophalangeal (MP) joint of the thumb was seen during the follow-up. The single most informative MR sequence was T2TSE in the coronal plane.
Magnetic resonance imaging may provide a clinically valuable means of assessing graft integrity in patients with suspected postoperative graft failure after UCL reconstruction, although we do not consider MRI necessary in the routine follow-up of patients with an uneventful recovery.
- Diao E, Lintecum ND. Gamekeeper’s thumb. Curr Opin Orthop. 1996;7:10.
- Van Dommelen BA, Zvirbulis RA. Upper extremity injuries in snow skiers. Am J Sports Med. 1989;17(6):751–3. CrossRef
- Posner MA, Retaillaud JL. Metacarpophalangeal joint injuries of the thumb. Hand Clin. 1992;8(4):713–32.
- Stener B. Displacement of the ruptured ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb. A clinical and anatomical study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1962;44:869.
- Drey GE, Eaton RG. In: Green D, editor. Dislocations and ligament injuries in the digits. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 1993.
- Eaton RG, Lane LB, Littler JW, Keyser JJ. Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint: a long-term assessment. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1984;9(5):692–99.
- Eaton RG, Littler JW. Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint. J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1973;55(8):1655–66.
- Musharafieh RS, Bassim YR, Atiyeh BS. Ulnar collateral ligament rupture of the first metacarpophalangeal joint: a frequently missed injury in the emergency department. J Emerg Med. 1997;15(2):193–6. CrossRef
- Boyes J. Bunnell’s surgery of the hand. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1970.
- Joseph M, Fulkerson J, Nissen C, Sheehan TJ. Short-term recovery after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a prospective comparison of three autografts. Orthopedics. 2006;29(3):243–8.
- Agneskirchner JD, Galla M, Landwehr P, Lobenhoffer HP. Simplified MRI sequences for postoperative control of hamstring anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2004;124(4):215–20. CrossRef
- Hong SJ, Ahn JM, Ahn JH, Park SW. Postoperative MR findings of the healthy ACL grafts: correlation with second look arthroscopy. Clin Imaging. 2005;29(1):55–9.
- Cossey AJ, Kalairajah Y, Morcom R, Spriggins AJ. Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of biodegradable transfemoral fixation used in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy. 2006;22(2):199–204. CrossRef
- Chien AJ, Jacobson JA, Jamadar DA, Brigido MK, Femino JE, Hayes CW. Imaging appearances of lateral ankle ligament reconstruction. Radiographics. 2004;24(4):999–1008. CrossRef
- Palmer AK, Louis DS. Assessing ulnar instability of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1978;3(6):542–6.
- Downey Jr EF, Curtis DJ. Patient-induced stress test of the first metacarpophalangeal joint: a radiographic assessment of collateral ligament injuries. Radiology. 1986;158(3):679–83.
- Bowers WH, Hurst LC. Gamekeeper’s thumb. Evaluation by arthrography and stress roentgenography. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1977;59(4):519–24.
- Stothard J, Caird DM. Experience with arthrography of the first metacarpophalangeal joint. Hand. 1981;13(3):257–66. CrossRef
- Haramati N, Hiller N, Dowdle J, Jacobson M, Barax CN, Lieberfarb RI, et al. MRI of the Stener lesion. Skeletal Radiol. 1995;24(7):515–8. CrossRef
- Hergan K, Mittler C, Oser W. Ulnar collateral ligament: differentiation of displaced and nondisplaced tears with US and MR imaging. Radiology. 1995;194(1):65–71.
- Hinke DH, Erickson SJ, Chamoy L, Timins ME. Ulnar collateral ligament of the thumb: MR findings in cadavers, volunteers, and patients with ligamentous injury (gamekeeper’s thumb). AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994;163(6):1431–4.
- Spaeth HJ, Abrams RA, Bock GW, Trudell D, Hodler J, Botte MJ, et al. Gamekeeper thumb: differentiation of nondisplaced and displaced tears of the ulnar collateral ligament with MR imaging. Work in progress. Radiology. 1993;188(2):553–6.
- Ahn JM, Sartoris DJ, Kang HS, Botte MJ, Trudell D, Haghighi P, et al. Gamekeeper thumb: comparison of MR arthrography with conventional arthrography and MR imaging in cadavers. Radiology. 1998;206(3):737–44.
- Harper MT, Chandnani VP, Spaeth J, Santangelo JR, Providence BC, Bagg MA. Gamekeeper thumb: diagnosis of ulnar collateral ligament injury using magnetic resonance imaging, magnetic resonance arthrography and stress radiography. J Magn Reson Imaging. 1996;6(2):322–8. CrossRef
- Susic D, Hansen BR, Hansen TB. Ultrasonography may be misleading in the diagnosis of ruptured and dislocated ulnar collateral ligaments of the thumb. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 1999;33(3):319–20. CrossRef
- Watson-Jones R. Fractures and joint injuries. 3rd ed. Edinburgh: E & S Livingston; 1943.
- Helm RH. Hand function after injuries to the collateral ligaments of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb. J Hand Surg [Br]. 1987;12(2):252–5.
- MRI follow-up after free tendon graft reconstruction of the thumb ulnar collateral ligament
Volume 39, Issue 11 , pp 1081-1086
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Metacarpophalangeal joint
- Collateral ligament
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Helsinki University Hospital, PL 900, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
- 2. Department of Hand Surgery, Dextra Hospital, Raumantie 1 A, 00350, Helsinki, Finland
- 3. Department of Hand Surgery, Helsinki University Hospital, PL 900, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland