Granulomatous salmonella osteomyelitis associated with anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy in a non-sickle cell patient: a case report
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Salmonella osteomyelitis is seen most commonly in patients with sickle cell disease and in those with compromised immune systems. We report on the clinical, histological and imaging findings of salmonella osteomyelitis with intraosseous abscess formation occurring in a non-sickle cell patient receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha therapy.
- Swanson SJ, Snider C, Braden CR, et al. Multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium associated with pet rodents. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:21–8. CrossRef
- Maki DG. Coming to grips with foodborne infection—peanut butter, peppers and nationwide salmonella outbreaks. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:949–53. CrossRef
- Sanchez AA, Mazurek MT, Clapper MF. Salmonella osteomyelitis presenting as fibrous dysplasia: a case report. Clin Orthop. 1996;330:185–9. CrossRef
- Ortiz-Neu C, Marr JS, Cherubin CE, Neu HC. Bone and joint infections due to Salmonella. J Infect Dis. 1978;138:820–8.
- Arora A, Singh S, Aggarwal A, Aggarwal PK. Salmonella osteomyelitis in an otherwise healthy adult male—successful management with conservative treatment: a case report. J Orthop Surg. 2003;11:217–20.
- Cohen JI, Bartlett JA, Corey GR. Extra-intestinal manifestations of salmonella infections. Medicine (Baltimore). 1987;66:349–88.
- Sultan PG, Ganley TJ, Carpentieri DF, Harty MP. Draining sinus of the upper arm in a 12-year-old girl. Clin Orthop. 2000;378:312–6; 319–22.
- Wu PC, Khin MM, Pang SW. Salmonella osteomyelitis. An important differential diagnosis of granulomatous osteomyelitis. Am J Surg Pathol. 1985;9:531–7. CrossRef
- Van Cappelle HGJ, Veenendaal D, de Vogel PL. Salmonella panama osteomyelitis in an otherwise healthy patient. Clin Orthop. 1995;321:235–8.
- Nestle FO, Kaplan DH, Barker J. Psoriasis. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:496–509. CrossRef
- Weinblatt ME, Abbott GF, Koreishi AF. Case 13-2009: a 54-year-old woman with respiratory failure and a cavitary lesion in the lung. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:1770–9. CrossRef
- Wallis RS, Broder MS, Wong JY, Hanson ME, Beenhouwer DO. Granulomatous infectious diseases associated with tumor necrosis factor antagonists. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:1261–5. CrossRef
- Rubin EJ. The granuloma in tuberculosis- friend or foe? N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2471–3. CrossRef
- Furst DE, Wallis RS, Broder MS, Beenhouwer DO. Tumor necrosis factor antagonists: different kinetics and/or mechanisms of action may explain differences in the risk for developing granulomatous infection. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2006;36:159–67. CrossRef
- Burnett MW, Bass JW, Cook BA. Etiology of osteomyelitis complicating sickle cell disease. Pediatrics. 1998;101:296–7. CrossRef
- Dixon WG, Watson K, Lunt M, Hyrich KL, Silman AJ, Symmons DP. Rates of serious infection, including site-specific and bacterial intracellular infection, in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving anti–tumor necrosis factor therapy. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:2368–76. CrossRef
- Netea MG, Radstake T, Joosten LA, Van der Meer JWM, Barrera P, Kullberg BJ. Salmonella septicemia in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy. Association with decreased interferon gamma production and Toll-like receptor 4 expression. Arthritis Rheum. 2003;48:1853–7. CrossRef
- Cunnane G, Doran M, Bresnihan B. Infliximab and biological therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheum. 2003;17:345–63. CrossRef
- Orenstein R. Travel in patients receiving TNF-alpha inhibitors. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2005;3:105–9. CrossRef
- Granulomatous salmonella osteomyelitis associated with anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy in a non-sickle cell patient: a case report
Volume 39, Issue 8 , pp 821-825
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Salmonella osteomyelitis
- Industry Sectors