An unusual presentation of muscular sarcoidosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sarcoidosis is a noncaseating granulomatous disease that involves multiple organs, most commonly the lungs, lymph nodes, skin, and eyes, but may be clinically evident in any organ system. Symptomatic muscular sarcoidosis is very rare and has been reported in only 1.4% of known sarcoidosis cases, while skeletal involvement has been reported in 1–13%. Different types of muscular and osseous sarcoidosis have been described in the literature. We present a case of muscular sarcoidosis, which is unique in its clinical presentation and imaging findings. The presence of the marked periosteal reaction, which has never been described with muscular sarcoidosis, also makes this case unique.
- Mayock RL, Bertrand P, Morrison CE, Scott JH. Manifestations of sarcoidosis: analysis of 145 patients, with a review of nine series selected from the literature. Am J Med 1963;35: 67–89. CrossRef
- James DG, Neville E, Carstairs LS. Bone and joint sarcoidosis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1976;6: 53–81. CrossRef
- Licharew A. Moskauer venerologische und dermatologische Gesellschaft. Dermatol Zentralbl 1908;11: 253–254.
- Hinterbuchner CN, Hinterbuchner LP. Myopathic syndrome in muscular sarcoidosis. Brain 1964;87: 355–366. CrossRef
- Hewlett RH, Brownell B. Granulomatous myopathy: its relationship to sarcoidosis and polymyositis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1975;38: 1090–1099. CrossRef
- Silverstein A, Siltzbach LE. Muscle involvement in sarcoidosis. Asymptomatic, myositis, and myopathy. Arch Neurol 1969;21: 235–241.
- Otake S, Banno T, Ohba S, Noda M, Yamamoto M. Muscular sarcoidosis: findings at MR imaging. Radiology 1990;176: 145–148.
- Otake S. Sarcoidosis involving skeletal muscle: imaging findings and relative value of imaging procedures. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1994;162: 369–375.
- Moore SL, Teirstein AE. Musculoskeletal sarcoidosis: spectrum of appearances at MR imaging. Radiographics 2003;23: 1389–1399. CrossRef
- Yaghmai I. Radiographic, angiographic and radionuclide manifestations of osseous sarcoidosis. Radiographics 1983;3: 375–396.
- Beasley EW III, Peterman SB, Hertzler GL. An unusual form of tibial sarcoidosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1987;149: 754–756.
- Fujimoto H, Ikeda M, Shimofusa R, Terauchi M, Eguchi M. Sarcoidosis breaching the fascia and mimicking a sarcoma. Skeletal Radiol 2002;31: 706–708. CrossRef
- An unusual presentation of muscular sarcoidosis
Volume 36, Issue 10 , pp 995-998
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors