Sonography of the iliopsoas tendon and injection of the iliopsoas Bursa for diagnosis and management of the painful snapping hip
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose of this study was to compare sonographic evaluations of patients referred with suspected snapping of their iliopsoas tendon with the pain relief achieved from anesthetic injection of the iliopsoas bursa, and with the subsequent surgical outcome. This study also assessed the effectiveness of Kenalog injection into the iliopsoas bursa for long-term pain relief.
Patients and methods
Dynamic and static sonography was performed in 40 patients with clinically diagnosed snapping hips. The iliopsoas bursa was injected with Bupivicaine and Lidocaine in the first 22 patients, and an additional 1 ml Kenalog-40 was added to this mixture in the last 18 patients. We compared the static and dynamic sonographic findings with change in the patients’ level of pain at 2 days after anesthetic injection. The sonographic findings and response to anesthetic injection were also compared to the response to Kenalog injection and the results of any subsequent surgery.
Static sonography of the iliopsoas tendon was normal in 38 patients, and detected iliopsoas bursitis in one patient and iliopsoas tendinopathy in another. Snapping of the iliopsoas tendon was observed using dynamic sonography in 9 of the 40 patients. Following anesthetic injection of the iliopsoas bursa, 29 patients had complete or partial pain relief, and 11 patients had no pain relief. Eight of the nine patients with a snapping iliopsoas tendon had complete or partial pain relief from the bursal injection. Twelve of the 29 patients with pain relief after anesthetic injection later had an arthroscopic iliopsoas tendon release, and all of these 12 patients had a good postoperative result. Of the 18 patients who had Kenalog-40 injected into the iliopsoas bursa and did not have iliopsoas surgery, 16 had sustained pain relief following the injection.
Patients with groin pain and a clinically suspected snapping iliopsoas tendon can benefit from injection into the iliopsoas bursa even if the snapping tendon is not visualized sonographically. The use of a corticosteroid may provide long-term pain relief, and pain relief after injection is a predictor of good outcome after surgical release of the iliopsoas tendon.
- Allen WC, Cope R. Coxa saltans: the snapping hip revisited. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1995;3(5):303–308
- Schaberg JE, Harper MC, Allen WC. The snapping hip syndrome. Am J Sports Med 1984;12:361–3365 CrossRef
- Idjadi J, Meislin R. Symptomatic snapping hip: targeted treatment for maximum pain relief. Phys Sports Med 2004;32(1):25–31
- Janzen DL, Partridge E, Logan M, Connell DG, Duncan CP. The snapping hip: clinical and imaging findings in transient subluxation of the iliopsoas tendon. Can Assoc Radio J 1996;47(3):202–208
- Johnston CAM, Wiley DM, Wiseman DA. Iliopsoas bursitis and tendonitis. Sports Med 1998;25:271–283 CrossRef
- Pelsser V, Cardinal E, Hobden R, Aubin B, Lafortune M. Extraarticular snapping hip: sonographic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2001;176:67–73
- Wahl CJ, Warren RF, Adler RS, Hannafin JA, Hansen B. Internal coxa saltans (snapping hip) as a result of overtraining. Am J Sports Med 2004;32(5):1302–1309 CrossRef
- White RA, Hujghes MS, Burd T, Hamann J, Allen WC. A new operative approach in the correction of external coxa saltans. Am J Sports Med 2004;32(6):1504–1508 CrossRef
- Lyons JC, Peterson LF. The snapping iliopsoas tendon. Mayo Clin Proc 1984;59:327–329
- Cardinal E, Buckwalter KA, Capello WN, Duval N. US of the snapping iliopsoas tendon. Radiology 1996;198:521–522
- Vaccaro JP, Sauser DD, Beals RK. Iliopsoas bursa imaging: efficacy in depicting abnormal iliopsoas tendon motion in patients with internal snapping hip syndrome. Radiology 1995;197:853–856
- Jacobson T, Allen WC. Surgical correction of the snapping iliopsoas tendon. Am J Sports Med 1990;18:470–474 CrossRef
- Brignall CG, Stainby GD. The snapping hip: treatment by Z-plasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1991;73:253–254
- Beals RK. Painful snapping hip in young adults. West J Med 1993;49:481–482
- Rezig R, Copercini M, Montet X, Martinoli C, Bianchi S. Ultrasound diagnosis of anterior iliopsoas impingement in total hip replacement. Skeletal Radiol 2004;33:112–116 CrossRef
- Adler RS, Buly R, Ambrose R, Sculco T. Diagnostic and therapeutic use of sonography-guided iliopsoas peritendinous injections. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2005;185:940–943 CrossRef
- Sonography of the iliopsoas tendon and injection of the iliopsoas Bursa for diagnosis and management of the painful snapping hip
Volume 35, Issue 8 , pp 565-571
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Therapeutic/diagnostic injection
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, E3/311 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI, 53792-3252, USA
- 2. Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI, 53792-3252, USA