Reliability of the Crowe und Hartofilakidis classifications used in the assessment of the adult dysplastic hip
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To assess the inter-observer and intra-observer reliability of two commonly used radiographic classification systems in the evaluation of hip dysplasia in skeletally mature adults.
Three observers with different levels of training independently classified 62 dysplastic hips on 51 standard anteriorposterior pelvis radiographs according to the criteria defined by Crowe and by Hartofilakidis. To assess intra-observer reliability, the same radiographs were reviewed 3 months later by the same observers.
At the time of the radiographic examination, the mean age of the 51 patients had been 54 years (range 18–82 years).
A high correlation concerning the inter- and intra-observer reliability of both systems was demonstrated. Inter-observer reliability displayed a weighted kappa coefficient of 0.82 for the Crowe and 0.75 for the Hartofilakidis classification. Intra-observer reliability showed a kappa coefficient of 0.86 and 0.79, respectively.
Both classification systems can be recommended to compare collectives of adult patients with congenital dysplasia of the hip. However, for future clinical practice, it would be advisable to agree on one universally accepted system as a standard in the literature.
- Cameron, HU, Botsford, DJ, Park, YS (1996) Influence of the Crowe rating on the outcome of total hip arthroplasty in congenital hip dysplasia. J Arthroplasty 11: pp. 582-587 CrossRef
- Hartofilakidis, G, Karachalios, T (2004) Total hip arthroplasty for congenital hip disease. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86-A(2): pp. 242-250
- Crowe, JF, Mani, VJ, Ranawat, CS (1979) Total hip replacement in congenital dislocation and dysplasia of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 61: pp. 15-23
- Eftekhar, NS (1978) Principles of total hip arthroplasty. Mosby, St. Louis
- Hartofilakidis, G, Stamos, K, Ioannidis, TT (1988) Low friction arthroplasty for old untreated congenital dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 70: pp. 182-186
- Kerboull, M, Mathieu, M, Sauzieres, P Total hip replacement for congenital dysplasia of the hip. In: Postel, M, Kerboull, M, Evrard, J, Courpied, JP eds. (1987) Total hip replacement. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp. 51-66
- Mendes, DG, Said, MS, Aslan, K (1996) Classification of adult congenital hip dysplasia for total hip arthroplasty. Orthopedics 19: pp. 881-887
- Hartofilakidis, G, Stamos, K, Karachalios, T, Ioannidis, TT, Zacharakis, N (1996) Congenital hip disease in adults. Classification of acetabular deficiencies and operative treatment with acetabuloplasty combined with total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 78: pp. 683-692
- Cicchelli, DV, Allison, T (1971) A new procedure for assessing reliability of scoring EEG sleep recordings. Am J EEG Technol 11: pp. 101-109
- Fleiss, JL (1981) Statistical methods for rates and proportions, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York
- Landis, JR, Koch, GG (1977) The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33: pp. 159-174 CrossRef
- Svanholm, H, Starklint, H, Gundersen, HJ, Fabricius, J, Barlebo, H, Olsen, S (1989) Reproducibility of histomorphologic diagnoses with special reference to the kappa statistic. Apmis 97: pp. 689-698 CrossRef
- Rasmussen, S, Madsen, PV, Bennicke, K (1993) Observer variation in the Lauge-Hansen classification of ankle fractures. Precision improved by instruction. Acta Orthop Scand 64: pp. 693-694 CrossRef
- Sidor, ML, Zuckerman, JD, Lyon, T, Koval, K, Cuomo, F, Schoenberg, N (1993) The Neer classification system for proximal humeral fractures. An assessment of interobserver reliability and intraobserver reproducibility. J Bone Joint Surg Am 75: pp. 1745-1750
- Sharp, IK (1961) Acetabular dysplasia: the acetabular angle. J Bone Joint Surg Br 43: pp. 268-272
- Nelitz, M, Guenther, KP, Gunkel, S, Puhl, W (1999) Reliability of radiological measurements in the assessment of hip dysplasia in adults. Br J Radiol 72: pp. 331-334
- Ward, WT, Vogt, M, Grudziak, JS, Tumer, Y, Cook, PC, Fitch, RD (1997) Severin classification system for evaluation of the results of operative treatment of congenital dislocation of the hip. A study of intraobserver and interobserver reliability. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79: pp. 656-663
- Smith, SW, Meyer, RA, Connor, PM, Smith, SE, Hanley, EN (1996) Interobserver reliability and intraobserver reproducibility of the modified Ficat classification system of osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J Bone Joint Surg Am 78: pp. 1702-1706
- Thomsen, NO, Overgaard, S, Olsen, LH, Hansen, H, Nielsen, ST (1991) Observer variation in the radiographic classification of ankle fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Br 73: pp. 676-678
- Bobak, P, Wroblewski, BM, Siney, PD, Fleming, PA, Hall, R (2000) Charnley low-friction arthroplasty with an autograft of the femoral head for developmental dysplasia of the hip. The 10- to 15-year results. J Bone Joint Surg Br 82: pp. 508-511 CrossRef
- Haddad, FS, Masri, BA, Garbuz, DS, Duncan, CP (1999) Primary total hip replacement of the dysplastic hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am 81-A(10): pp. 1462-1482
- Reliability of the Crowe und Hartofilakidis classifications used in the assessment of the adult dysplastic hip
Volume 35, Issue 5 , pp 282-287
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Orthopaedic Department, RKU, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
- 2. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University School of Medicine, Mainz, Germany
- 3. Department of Orthopaedics, University-Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden, Germany