Rapid involution of proliferative fasciitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A process of evolution and involution is a characteristic feature of reactive fibrous lesions, but has not been emphasized in either the radiology or pathology literature. We report a case of proliferative fasciitis, pseudotumorous fibrous proliferation similar to nodular fasciitis, showing evolution and involution during a 1-month period. A 35-year-old Japanese woman presented with a tender soft tissue mass in the forearm that had grown over a 2-week period. MR imaging revealed a soft tissue mass of nonspecific signal intensity on the muscle fascia. Needle biopsy revealed diffuse proliferation of fibroblastic spindle cells representing proliferative fasciitis. Two weeks after biopsy the mass had rapidly decreased in size, and the pain subsided. MR imaging obtained 1 month later demonstrated only minimal residual reactive change along the fascia. Conservative treatment may be a reasonable treatment option for this condition.
- Ohgi S, Ehara S, Satoh T, Kato S, Shimosegawa K, Ishida Y. Spontaneous regression of malignant lymphoma of the lumbar spine. Skeletal Radiol 2002; 31:99–102. CrossRef
- Wong NL. Fine needle aspiration cytology of pseudosarcomatous reactive proliferative lesions of soft tissue. Acta Cytol 2002; 46:1049–1055.
- Chung EB, Entinger FM. Proliferative fasciitis. Cancer 1975; 36:1450–1458.
- Samaratunga H, Searle J, O’Loughlin B. Nodular fasciitis and related pesudosarcomatous lesions of soft tissues. Aust N Z J Surg 1996; 66:22–25.
- Kitano M, Iwasaki H, Enjoji M. Proliferative fasciitis: a variant of nodular fasciitis. Acta Pathol Japon 1977; 27:485–493.
- Honda Y, Oh-i T, Koga M, Serizawa H. A case of proliferative fasciitis in the abdominal region. J Dermatol 2001; 28:753–758.
- Meyer CA, Kransdorf MJ, Jelinek JS, Moser RP Jr. MR and CT appearance of nodular fasciitis. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1991; 15:276–279.
- Wang XL, De Schepper AM, Vanhoennacker F, De Raeve H, Gielen J, Aparisi F, Rausin L, Somville J. Nodular fasciitis: correlation of MRI findings and histopathology. Skeletal Radiol 2002; 31:155–161.
- Rapid involution of proliferative fasciitis
Volume 33, Issue 5 , pp 300-302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Proliferative fasciitis
- Spontaneous regression
- Soft tissue tumor
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, 19-1 Uchimaru, 020-8505, Morioka, Japan
- 2. Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, 020-8505, Morioka, Japan
- 3. Department of Pathology II, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, 020-8505, Morioka, Japan