Subungual melanoma with osteocartilaginous differentiation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Osteocartilaginous metaplasia is known to occur rarely in melanomas, particularly in subungual melanomas. We present a case of a calcified subungual soft tissue tumour in which biopsy of the lesion showed malignant round and spindle-shaped tumour cells, many of which were associated with the formation of cartilage and osteoid-like material. Subsequent resection showed clear histological evidence of a subungual melanoma. Tumour cells expressed S100, melan-A and neurone-specific enolase but were negative for HMB45. Diagnostic radiological and histological features and the nature of the osteocartilaginous differentiation within this lesion is discussed.
- Labrecque, (1976) Cancer 38: pp. 1205
- Bhuta, (1986) Am J Surg Pathol 10: pp. 203
- Urmacher, (1984) Am J Dermatopathol 6: pp. 331
- Lucas, (1993) Am J Surg Pathol 17: pp. 400
- Blessing, (1991) Histopathology 19: pp. 425
- Rigby, (1992) Br J Plast Surg 45: pp. 275
- O’Leary, (2000) Clin Orthop 378: pp. 206
- Kuchelmeister C, Schaumburg-Lever G, Garbe C. Acral cutaneous melanoma in Caucasians: clinical features, histopathology and prognosis in 112 patients. Br J Dermatol. 2000; 143: 275–280.
- Takematsu, (1985) Cancer 55: pp. 2725
- Cachia, (1999) Am J Dermatolpathol 21: pp. 165 CrossRef
- Brisigotti, (1989) Surg Pathol 2: pp. 73
- Moreno A, Lamarca J, Martinez R, Guix M. Osteoid and bone formation in desmoplastic malignant melanoma. J Cutan Pathol. 1986; 13: 128–134.
- Grunwald, (1985) Dermatologica 170: pp. 249
- Pellegrini AE, Scalamongna PA. Malignant melanoma with osteoid formation. Am J Dermatopathol. 1990; 12: 607.611.
- Weiss SW, Goldblu, JR. Enzinger and Weiss’s Soft tissue tumors. St Louis: Mosby. 2001.
- Toda, (1997) Histopathology 31: pp. 293
- Hendrickson, (1951) Am J Surg Pathol 5: pp. 109
- Mohrle, (2002) Dermatology 204: pp. 259 CrossRef
- McGonnell IM, Graham A. Trunk neural crest has skeletogenic potential. Curr Biol. 2002; 12:767–771.
- Helms, (2003) Nature 15: pp. 326 CrossRef
- Subungual melanoma with osteocartilaginous differentiation
Volume 32, Issue 12 , pp 724-727
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone and cartilage differentiation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Oxford, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
- 2. Department of Radiology, University of Oxford, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
- 1. Department of Pathology, University of Oxford, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK