Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis preceded by Kikuchi disease in children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kikuchi disease (KD) is a type of benign, self-limiting lymphadenitis, but it has also been associated with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). To date, only a few reports have suggested an association between HLH and KD.
To report the imaging findings and clinical characteristics of KD accompanied by HLH in children.
Materials and methods
Five children with a prolonged fever and cervical lymphadenopathy were diagnosed as having HLH accompanied by KD. The authors retrospectively analyzed the clinical characteristics and the imaging findings in these children. The histology of excision biopsy samples of cervical lymph nodes in all children confirmed the diagnosis of KD. HLH was confirmed by bone marrow biopsy and laboratory criteria provided by the Histiocyte Society.
The greatest dimension of the enlarged nodes ranged from 0.5 cm to 2.5 cm and the nodes were most frequently located at level V. CT scans visualized perinodal infiltrates in most of the affected cervical nodes (four of five children) and extracervical nodes (three of three children). On enhanced CT scans, nonenhancing necrosis within the affected cervical nodes was noted in three children.
KD might be related to HLH in children. Systemic evaluations and follow-up of children with KD might help to identify HLH related to KD.
- Lee KY, Yeon YH, Lee BC (2004) Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease with prolonged fever in children. Pediatrics 114:752–756 CrossRef
- Lin HC, Su CY, Huang SC (2005) Kikuchi’s disease in Asian children. Pediatrics 115:e92–e96 CrossRef
- Fitzgerald NE, MacClain KL (2003) Imaging characteristics of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Pediatr Radiol 33:392–401
- Lindemann TL, Greene JC (2005) Persistent cervical lymphadenopathy in an adolescent with Epstein-Barr induced hemophagocytic syndrome: manifestations or a rare but often fatal disease. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1011–1014
- Lin YW, Horiuchi H, Ueda I et al (2007) Recurrent hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis accompanied by Kikuchi’s disease. Leuk Lymphoma 48:2447–2451 CrossRef
- Mahadeva U, Allport T, Bain B et al (2000) Haemophagocytic syndrome and histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis (Kikuchi’s disease). J Clin Pathol 53:636–638 CrossRef
- Khan FY, Morad NA, Fawzy Z (2007) Kikuchi’s disease associated with hemophagocytosis. Chang Gung Med J 30:370–373
- Kim YM, Lee YJ, Nam SO et al (2003) Hemophagocytic syndrome associated with Kikuchi’s disease. J Korean Med Sci 18:592–594 CrossRef
- Chen JS, Chang KC, Cheng CN et al (2000) Childhood hemophagocytic syndrome associated with Kikuchi’s disease. Hemagologica 85:998–1000
- Gerritsen A, Lam K, Schneider ME et al (2006) An exclusive case of juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia in association with Kikuchi’s disease and hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis and a review of the literature. Leuk Res 30:1299–1303 CrossRef
- Kwon SY, Kim TK, Kim YS et al (2004) Findings in Kikuchi disease: analysis of 96 cases. AJNR 25:1099–1102
- Kelly J, Kelleher K, Khan MK et al (2000) A case of haemophagocytic syndrome and Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease occurring concurrently in a 17-year-old female. Int J Clin Pract 54:547–549
- Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis preceded by Kikuchi disease in children
Volume 38, Issue 7 , pp 756-761
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Kikuchi disease
- Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis
- Histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis
- Industry Sectors