CYP3A4*1G polymorphism is associated with lipid-lowering efficacy of atorvastatin but not of simvastatin
- Yuan GaoAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Zhengzhou University
- , Li-rong ZhangAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Zhengzhou University Email author
- , Qiang FuAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Zhengzhou University
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Our aim was to observe the impact of CYP3A4*1G genetic polymorphism on lipid-lowering efficacy of statins.
We studied 217 unrelated hyperlipidemic patients who prospectively received atorvastatin and 199 patients who received simvastatin as a single-agent therapy (20 mg day-1 p.o.) for 4 weeks. Genotyping of CYP3A4*1G was conducted by a polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) analysis. Serum triglyceride (TG), total cholesterol (TC), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) levels were determined before and after treatment by enzymatic assays.
The frequency of CYP3A4*1G in Chinese hyperlipidemic patients was 0.276. After atorvastatin treatment, the mean percentage reduction in serum TC was 16.8 ± 3.3% (*1/*1), 17.8 ± 3.8% (*1/*1G), and 20.9 ± 5.0% (*1G/*1G), respectively. The CYP3A4*1G polymorphism had a gene-dose-dependent effect on percentage reduction in serum TC (P < 0.01). Conversely, there was no significant association between lipid-lowering efficacy of simvastatin and CYP3A4*1G polymorphism.
Carrying CYP3A4*1G increase the lipid-lowering efficacy of atorvastatin and may have no significant effect on simvastatin treatment.
KeywordsCYP3A4 Polymorphisms Simvastatin Atorvastatin Lipid-lowering efficacy
- CYP3A4*1G polymorphism is associated with lipid-lowering efficacy of atorvastatin but not of simvastatin
European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 64, Issue 9 , pp 877-882
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Lipid-lowering efficacy
- Industry Sectors