Use of fluroquinolone and risk of Achilles tendon rupture: a population-based cohort study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several case-control studies have reported that the use of fluoroquinolone increases the risk of rupture of the Achilles tendon. Our aim was to estimate this risk by means of a population-based cohort approach.
Data on Achilles tendon ruptures and fluoroquinolone use were retrieved from three population-based databases that include information on residents of Funen County (population: 470,000) in primary and secondary care during the period 1991–1999. A study cohort of all 28,262 first-time users of fluoroquinolone and all incident cases of Achilles tendon ruptures were identified.
Main outcome measures
The incidence rate of Achilles tendon ruptures among users and non-users of fluoroquinolones and the standardised incidence rate ratio associating fluoroquinolon use with Achilles tendon rupture were the main outcome measures.
Between 1991 and 2002 the incidence of Achilles tendon rupture increased from 22.1 to 32.6/100,000 person-years. Between 1991 and 1999 the incidence of fluoroquinolone users was 722/100,000 person-years, with no apparent trend over time. Within 90 days of their first use of fluoroquinolone, five individuals had a rupture of the Achilles tendon; the expected number was 1.6, yielding an age- and sex-standardised incidence ratio of 3.1 [(95% confidence interval (95%CI): 1.0–7.3). The 90-day cumulative incidence of Achilles tendon ruptures among fluoroquinolone users was 17.7/100,000 (95%CI: 5.7–41.3), which is an increase of 12.0/100,000 (95%CI: 0.0–35.6) compared to the background population.
Fluoroquinolone use triples the risk of Achilles tendon rupture, but the incidence among users is low.
- Jarvinen TA, Kannus P, Paavola M et al (2001) Achilles tendon injuries. Curr Opin Rheumatol 13(2):150–155 CrossRef
- Jarvinen TA, Kannus P, Maffulli N et al (2005) Achilles tendon disorders: etiology and epidemiology. Foot Ankle Clin 10(2):255–266 CrossRef
- Leppilahti J, Puranen J, Orava S (1996) Incidence of Achilles tendon rupture. Acta Orthop Scand 67(3):277–279 CrossRef
- Maffulli N, Waterston SW, Squair J et al (1999) Changing incidence of Achilles tendon rupture in Scotland: a 15-year study. Clin J Sport Med 9(3):157–160 CrossRef
- Houshian S, Tscherning T, Riegels-Nielsen P (1998) The epidemiology of Achilles tendon rupture in a Danish county. Injury 29(9):651–654 CrossRef
- Levi N (1997) The incidence of Achilles tendon rupture in Copenhagen. Injury 28(4):311–313 CrossRef
- Suchak AA, Bostick G, Reid D et al (2005) The incidence of Achilles tendon ruptures in Edmonton, Canada. Foot Ankle Int 26(11):932–936
- Melhus A (2005) Fluoroquinolones and tendon disorders. Expert Opin Drug Saf 4(2):299–309 CrossRef
- Khaliq Y, Zhanel GG (2003) Fluoroquinolone-associated tendinopathy: a critical review of the literature. Clin Infect Dis 36(11):1404–1410 CrossRef
- van der Linden PD, Sturkenboom MC, Herings RM et al (2002) Fluoroquinolones and risk of Achilles tendon disorders: case-control study. BMJ 324(7349):1306–1307 CrossRef
- van der Linden PD, Sturkenboom MC, Herings RM et al (2003) Increased risk of Achilles tendon rupture with quinolone antibacterial use, especially in elderly patients taking oral corticosteroids. Arch Intern Med 163(15):1801–1807 CrossRef
- van der Linden PD, van de LJ, Nab HW et al (1999) Achilles tendinitis associated with fluoroquinolones. Br J Clin Pharmacol 48(3):433–437 CrossRef
- Shakibaei M, Pfister K, Schwabe R et al (2000) Ultrastructure of Achilles tendons of rats treated with ofloxacin and fed a normal or magnesium-deficient diet. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44(2):261–266 CrossRef
- Shakibaei M, de Souza P, van Sickle D et al (2001) Biochemical changes in Achilles tendon from juvenile dogs after treatment with ciprofloxacin or feeding a magnesium-deficient diet. Arch Toxicol 75(6):369–374 CrossRef
- Frank L (2000) Epidemiology. When an entire country is a cohort. Science 287(5462):2398–2399 CrossRef
- Gaist D, Sorensen HT, Hallas J (1997) The Danish prescription registries. Dan Med Bull 44(4):445–448
- Rotmann KJ (2006) Epidemiology – an introduction. Oxford Press, Oxford
- Maclure M (1991) The case-crossover design: a method for studying transient effects on the risk of acute events. Am J Epidemiol 133(2):144–153
- van der Linden PD, Nab HW, Simonian S et al (2001) Fluoroquinolone use and the change in incidence of tendon ruptures in the Netherlands. Pharm World Sci 23(3):89–92 CrossRef
- Goossens H, Ferech M, Vander SR et al (2005) Outpatient antibiotic use in Europe and association with resistance: a cross-national database study. Lancet 365(9459):579–587
- Use of fluroquinolone and risk of Achilles tendon rupture: a population-based cohort study
European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 63, Issue 5 , pp 499-503
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Achilles tendon
- Cohort study
- Industry Sectors