Some chemical characteristics of Pistacia vera varieties produced in Turkey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study, some chemical characteristics of Pistaciavera varieties grown in Turkey (Uzun, Kırmızı, Siirt, Ohadi, Halebi) were determined. Pistachio nuts were collected from large cities in the southeast part of Turkey. The total protein contents of pistachio nut samples were determined to be 20.18±0.23% to 23.62±0.37%. Fat contents of analyzed samples varied from 56.03±1.61% to 57.65±1.00%. Ohadi and Halebi varieties had the highest K content (766.74±2.67 and 764.23±5.53 mg/100 g respectively) and Uzun, Kırmızı, and Siirt varieties had similar K contents. Pistachio nut samples had Mg of 136.70±4.67 to 146.50±2.40 mg/100 g. Halebi had the highest Mg content. The lowest Mg content was found in the Uzun variety. The highest Na was determined in Uzun varieties folowed by Kırmızı, Siirt, and Ohadi. There were no statistical differences in Cu contents of analyzed samples (P>0.05). The fatty acid composition of the pistachio nuts varieties was: palmitic acid (8.22±0.07 to 9.67±0.07%), palmitoleic acid (0.56±0.13 to 0.68±0.10%), stearic acid (0.94±0.07 to 2.01±0.15%), oleic acid (56.66±2.90 to 74.01±1.92%), linoleic acid (14.37±2.52 to 22.67±0.54%) and linolenic acid (0.18±0.06 to 0.30±0.28%); these were detected in all samples. There were significant differences among pistachio nuts regarding fatty acid contents except for palmitic, palmitoleic and linolenic acids P<0.05).
- FAO (1999) FAO production year book, vol. 52, Rome
- Küçüköner E, Yurt B (2001) Türkiye'de Üretilen Antepfıstıklarının Kimyasal Bileşimi ve Yağ Asitleri Kompozisyonu. GAP II. Tarım Kongresi pp 345–352
- Küçüköner E, Yurt B (2000) Standard 39 (12): 38–42, Ankara
- Garcia JM, Ağar İT, Sterif J (1992) Gartenbauwissenschaft 57:130–133
- Ağar İT, Kafkas S, Kaşka N, Sheıbanı A (1997) Lipid characteristics of Turkish and Iranian pistachio kernels. International Society for Horticultural Science Second International Symposium on Pistachios and Almond. Presented August 24–29 in Davis, California, USA
- Agar IT, Kaska N, Kafkas S. (1995) Acta Hortic 419:411–415
- Yildiz M, Turcan GS, Ozdemir M. (1998) Fett/Lipid, 100:84–86
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (1990) Official methods of analysis. 15th AOAC International, Washington D.C.
- American Oil Chemist's Society (1989). Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemist's Society. American Oil Chemist's Society, Champaign, Method Ce-66
- S.A.S. (1990) SAS user's guide: statistics, version 6.0 edn. SAS, Cary, N.C.
- Steele RDG, Torrie JH (1980) Principles and procedures of statistics. McGraw-Hill, New York, N.Y.
- Kafkas S, Ağar İT, Kaşka N, Geçeker N (1995) Güneydoğu Anadolu Bölgesinde Yetiştirilen Bazı Türk ve İran Antepfıstığı Çeşitlerinin Lipid Karekteristiklerinin Karşılaştırılması. II. Ulusal Bahçe Bitkileri Kongresi. 3–6 Ekim 1995, Adana. 449–453
- Shokraii EH (1977) J Food Sci 42: 244–249
- Okay Y (2002) Gartenbauwissenschaft 67:107–113
- Karaca R, Köroğlu M (1995) Uzun ve Siirt Antepfıstığı Çeşitlerinin Farklı Depo Koşullarında ve Muhafaza Sürelerinde Kalite değişimlerinin Araştırılması. II. Ulusal Bahçe Bitkileri Kongresi. 3–6 Ekim 1995, Adana. 444–448
- Kamangar T, Farrahi F, Mehram M (1975) J Am Oil Chem Soc 52:512–515
- Kamangar T, Farsan H (1977) J Food Sci 42:1135–1138
- Some chemical characteristics of Pistacia vera varieties produced in Turkey
European Food Research and Technology
Volume 217, Issue 4 , pp 308-310
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pistachio nuts
- Fatty acids
- Industry Sectors