X-ray microscopy: methods and perspectives
- Gerd Schneider
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the last decade advances in nanostructuring technology led to rapid progress of the diffractive x-ray optics quality, e.g., Fresnel zone plates which became the key elements for high resolution and energy resolving x-ray imaging techniques performed at synchrotron sources [1, 2, 3]. With current nanostructuring technology zone structures with about 20 nm width can be manufactured. Using such zone plates in the soft x-ray range, a spatial resolution of about 25 nm is obtained. Presently, zone plates for multi-keV photons achieve a resolution of about 50 nm. Some selected synchrotron facilities which operate high resolution X-ray microscopes with zone plates as x-ray lenses are listed in Table 1.
Many different contrast mechanism like phase contrast imaging, dichroic effects, XANES imaging and X-ray fluorescence have been performed with diffractive x-ray optics and demonstrated the potential of X-ray probing techniques [1, 4, 5]. Due to the high penetration power of x-rays through matt ...
- J. Kirz, C. Jacobsen, M. Howells (1995) Soft X-ray microscopes and their biological applications. Q Re. Biophys 28:33–130
- G. Schneider, T. Schliebe, H. Aschoff (1995) J Vac Sci Technol B 13(6), Nov/Dec 2809–2812
- D. Attwood (1999) Soft X-rays and extreme ultraviolet radiation: principles and applications. Cambridge University Press
- G. Schmahl, D. Rudolph, G. Schneider, P. Guttmann, B. Niemann (1994) Optik 97(4):181–182
- G. Schneider (1998) Ultramicroscopy 75:85–104
- D. Weiß, G. Schneider, B. Niemann, P. Guttmann, D. Rudolph, G. Schmahl (2000) Ultramicroscopy 84:185–197
- S. Vogt et al. (2000) J Struct Biol 132:123–132
- W. Meyer-Ilse et al. (2001) Jf Microsc 201(3):395–403.
- G. Schneider et al. (2002) Surf Rev Lett 9(1):177–183.
- W. T. Lynch, L. A. Arledge (1998) Proc Mater Res Soc Symp 514:11
- G. Schneider, G. Denbeaux, E.H. Anderson, B. Bates, A. Pearson, M.A. Meyer, E. Zschech, E.A. Stach(2002) Appl Phys Lett 81(14):2535–2537
- G. Schneider(1997) Appl Phys Lett 71(16):2242–2244
- D. Hambach, G. Schneider, E. Gullikson (2001) Optics Lett 26:1200
- X-ray microscopy: methods and perspectives
Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry
Volume 376, Issue 5 , pp 558-561
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Gerd Schneider (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for X-ray Optics, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, One Cyclotron Rd, MS 2–400, 94720, Berkeley, CA, U.S.A.
- 2. Bessy m.b.H., Albert-Einstein-Str. 15, 12489, Berlin, Germany