Separation of the convulsions and antidepressant-like effects produced by the delta-opioid agonist SNC80 in rats
- Emily M. JutkiewiczAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School Email author
- , Kenner C. RiceAffiliated withNIH
- , John R. TraynorAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School
- , James H. WoodsAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Delta-opioid agonists produce a number of behavioral effects, including convulsions, antinociception, locomotor stimulation, and antidepressant-like effects. The development of these compounds as treatments for depression is limited by their convulsive effects. Therefore, determining how to separate the convulsive and antidepressant-like characteristics of these compounds is essential for their potential clinical use.
The present study tests the hypothesis that the rate of delta-opioid agonist administration greatly contributes to the convulsive properties, but not the antidepressant-like effects, of delta-opioid agonists.
Materials and methods
The delta-opioid agonist SNC80 (1, 3.2, and 10 mg kg−1 or vehicle) was administered to Sprague–Dawley rats by intravenous infusion over different durations of time (20 s, 20, or 60 min). Convulsions were measured by observation prior to determining antidepressant-like effects in the forced swim test.
Slowing the rate of SNC80 administration minimized delta agonist-induced convulsions without altering the effects of SNC80 in the forced swim test.
These data suggest that delta agonist-induced antidepressant properties are independent of convulsive effects, and that it may be possible to eliminate the convulsions produced by delta agonists, further promoting their potential clinical utility.
KeywordsDelta-opioid receptor Antidepressants Convulsions Forced swim test Rats SNC80 Infusion rate
- Separation of the convulsions and antidepressant-like effects produced by the delta-opioid agonist SNC80 in rats
Volume 182, Issue 4 , pp 588-596
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Delta-opioid receptor
- Forced swim test
- Infusion rate
- Industry Sectors