A time of promise, a time of promises: ethical issues in advancing psychopharmacological research
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (1999) Treatment of depression—newer pharmacotherapies. Summary, Evidence Report/Technology Assessment: Number 7, March. US Government, Rockville, Md. http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/deprsumm.htm
- Beresin et al. (2003)
- Biesecker (2003)
- Brody B (1998) The ethics of biomedical research: an international perspective. Oxford University Press, New York
- Brody JL, Waldron HB (2000) Ethical issues in research on the treatment of adolescent substance abuse disorders. Addict Behav 25:217–228 CrossRef
- Bulger RE (1994) Toward a statement of the principles underlying responsible conduct in biomedical research. Acad Med 69:102–107
- Candilis (2003)
- Chen (2003)
- Department of Health and Human Services (1999) Mental health: a report of the surgeon general. US Government, Rockville, Md.
- Department of Health and Human Services (2003) President’s new freedom commission on mental health, achieving the promise: transforming mental health care in America. US Government: Rockville, Md.
- Dunn and Jeste (2003)
- Faden R (1996) The Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments. Reflections on a Presidential Commission. Hastings Cent Rep, 26:5–10
- Faraone S, Tsuang M, Tsuang D (1999) The future of psychiatric genetics. In: Genetics of mental disorders: a guide for students, clinicians, and researchers. Guilford Press, New York
- Frank et al. (2003)
- Geppert CM (2001) The stamp of sorrow: religious and ethical aspects of psychiatric genetics. Doctoral dissertation, Department of Philosophy, International Reform University, Garden Grove
- Geppert and Bogenschutz (2003)
- Gluck J, Bell (2003)
- Gluck J, DiPasquale T, Orlans F (eds) (2002) Applied ethics in animal research: philosophy, regulation, and laboratory applications. Purdue University Press, West Lafayette
- Hoagwood K, Jensen P, Fisher C (eds) (1996) Ethical issues in mental health research with children and adolescents. Erlbaum, Mahwah
- Jeste et al. (2003)
- Kaminsky A, Roberts LW, Brody JL (2003) Understanding the motivations and perspectives expressed by people with schizophrenia regarding participation in mental illness research: a qualitative analysis. Ethics Behav (in press)
- Kelch RP (2002) Maintaining the public trust in clinical research. N Engl J Med 346:285–287 CrossRef
- Kim (2003)
- Kleiman M (2003) The “brain disease” idea, drug policy and research ethics. Addiction 98:871–872 CrossRef
- Koski (2003)
- Levine RJ (1986) Ethics and regulation of clinical research. Urban & Schwartzenberg, Baltimore
- Mashke (2003)
- Maubach K (2003) Psychiatric drug discovery and development. Exp Opin Invest Drugs 12:1571–1575
- Miskimen et al. (2003)
- Moreno J (1995) Deciding together: bioethics and moral consensus. Oxford University Press, New York
- Moreno J (2003) Neuroethics: an agenda for neuroscience and society. Nat Rev Neurosci 4:149–153 CrossRef
- Murray JL, Lopez AD (eds) (1996) The global burden of disease. A comprehensive assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries, and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020, vol 1. Harvard School of Public Health, Cambridge, Mass.
- National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research (1979) The Belmont report: ethical principles and guidelines for the protection of human subjects of research. US Government Printing Office, Washington D.C.
- National Institutes of Health (2003) http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-99-079.html
- Okasha A, Arboleda-Florez J, Sartorius N (eds) (2000) Ethics culture and psychiatry: international perspectives. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C.
- Pincus H, Lieberman J, Ferris S (1999) Ethics in psychiatric research: a resources manual for human subjects protection. American Psychiatric Press, Washington D.C.
- Roberts LW (1999) Ethical dimensions of psychiatric research: a constructive, criterion- based approach to protocol preparation. The Research Protocol Ethics Assessment Tool (RePEAT). Biol Psychiatry 46:1106–1119
- Roberts LW (2000) Evidence-based ethics and informed consent in mental illness research. Arch Gen Psychiatry 57:540–542 CrossRef
- Roberts LW (2002a) Ethics as endeavor in psychiatry: principles, skills, and knowledge. Psychiatric Times XIX(12).
- Roberts LW (2002b) Addiction and consent. Am J Bioeth 2:58–60 CrossRef
- Roberts LW (2000c) Informed consent and the capacity for voluntarism. Am J Psychiatry 159:705–712 CrossRef
- Roberts LW, Warner TD, Brody JL (2000) Perspectives of patients with schizophrenia and psychiatrists regarding ethically important aspects of research participation. Am J Psychiatry 157:67–74
- Roberts LW, Geppert C, Brody JL (2001) A framework for considering the ethical aspects of psychiatric research protocols. Commun Psychiatry 42:351–363 CrossRef
- Roberts LW, Warner TD, Brody JL, Roberts B, Lauriello J, Lyketsos C (2002) Patient and psychiatrist ratings of hypothetical schizophrenia research protocols: assessment of harm potential and factors influencing participation decisions. Am J Psychiatry 159:573–584
- Roberts et al. (2003a)
- Roberts LW, Warner TD, Anderson C, Smithpeter M, Rogers M (2003b) Schizophrenia research participants’ responses to protocol safeguards: recruitment, informed consent, and debriefing. Schizophr Res (in press)
- Roberts LW, Warner TD, Brody JL, Nguyen K, Roberts B (2003c) What is ethically important in clinical research? A preliminary study of attitudes of 73 psychiatric faculty and residents. Schizophr Bull (in press)
- Rosenstein and Miller (2003)
- Ruiz P (ed) (2000) Ethnicity and psychopharmacology (Review of Psychiatry Series, vol 19, no. 4); Oldham JO, Riba MB, series eds). American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C.
- Shore D, Hyman S (1999) NIMH symptom challenge and medication discontinuation workshop (editorial). Biol Psychiatry 46:1009–1010
- Spece R, Shimm D, Buchanan A (1996) Conflicts of interest in clinical practice and research. Oxford University Press, New York
- Sugarman J, Sulmasy D (eds) (2001) Methods in medical ethics. Georgetown University Press, Washington, D.C.
- Tallman JF (1999) Neuropsychopharmacology at the new millennium: new industry directions. Neuropsychopharmacology 20:99–105 CrossRef
- Vitiello (2003)
- Warner and Gluck (2003)
- Warner TD, Roberts LW, Nguyen K (2003) Do psychiatrists understand research-related experiences, attitudes, and motivation of schizophrenia study participants? Comp Psychiatry 44:227–233 CrossRef
- A time of promise, a time of promises: ethical issues in advancing psychopharmacological research
Volume 171, Issue 1 , pp 1-5
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links