Differential induction of enzymes involved in anaerobic metabolism of aromatic compounds in the denitrifying bacterium Thauera aromatica
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Differential induction of enzymes involved in anaerobic metabolism of aromatic substrates was studied in the denitrifying bacterium Thauera aromatica. This metabolism is divided into (1) peripheral reactions transforming the aromatic growth substrates to the common intermediate benzoyl-CoA, (2) the central benzoyl-CoA pathway comprising ring-reduction of benzoyl-CoA and subsequent β-oxidation to 3-hydroxypimelyl-CoA, and (3) the pathway of β-oxidation of 3-hydroxypimelyl-CoA to three acetyl-CoA and CO2. Regulation was studied by three methods.
1. Determination of protein patterns of cells grown on different substrates. This revealed several strongly substrate-induced polypeptides that were missing in cells grown on benzoate or other intermediates of the respective metabolic pathways.
2. Measurement of activities of known enzymes involved in this metabolism in cells grown on different substrates. The enzyme pattern found is consistent with the regulatory pattern deduced from simultaneous adaptation of cells to utilisation of other aromatic substrates.
3. Immunological detection of catabolic enzymes in cells grown on different substrates. Benzoate-CoA ligase and 4-hydroxybenzoate-CoA ligase were detected only in cells yielding the respective enzyme activity. However, presence of the subunits of benzoyl-CoA reductase and 4-hydroxybenzoyl-CoA reductase was also recorded in some cell batches lacking enzyme activity. This possibly indicates an additional level of regulation on protein level for these two reductases.
- Differential induction of enzymes involved in anaerobic metabolism of aromatic compounds in the denitrifying bacterium Thauera aromatica
Archives of Microbiology
Volume 170, Issue 2 , pp 120-131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Key words Anaerobic aromatic metabolism
- Benzoyl-CoA reductase
- Phenylphosphate carboxylase
- 4-Hydroxybenzoyl-CoA reductase
- CoA ligase
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Institut für Biologie II, Universität Freiburg, Schänzlestrasse 1, D-79 104 Freiburg, Germany e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. +49-761-203-2774; Fax +49-761-203-2626, DE
- A2. Institut für Genetik und Biochemie, Universität Greifswald, D-17 487 Greifswald, Germany, DE