Chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbon-induced degradation of trichloroethylene in Wautersia numadzuensis sp. nov.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two strains of trichloroethylene (TCE)-degrading bacteria were isolated from soils at polluted and unpolluted sites. The isolates, strains TE26T and K6, showed co-substrate-independent TCE-degrading activity. TCE degradation was accelerated by preincubation with tetrachloroethylene, cis-dichloroethylene (DCE) and 1,1-DCE. TCE-degrading activities of strains TE26T and K6 were 0.23, 0.24 μmol min−1 g−1 dry cells, respectively. 16S rDNA sequences of strains TE26T and K6 were almost identical (99.7% similarity), and most closely related to Ralstonia basilensis (ATCC17697T) (98.5% similarity). From the results of DNA–DNA hybridizations, strain TE26T was genetically coherent to strain K6 (94 and 88% hybridization), and exhibited lower relatedness to R. basilensis (DSM11853T) (44% and 15%). In addition, because of the differences in chemotaxonomic properties, strain TE26T and strain K6 appear to be distinct from all established species of the Ralstonia group. Based on these results and the proposal of transferring R. basilensis and related species to Wautersia gen. nov., we propose that these strains should be assigned to the genus Wautersia as Wautersia numadzuensis sp. nov.
- Chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbon-induced degradation of trichloroethylene in Wautersia numadzuensis sp. nov.
Archives of Microbiology
Volume 183, Issue 1 , pp 56-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbon
- Trichloroethylene degradation
- Wautersia numadzuensis sp. nov.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Numazu Industrial Research Institute of Shizuoka Prefecture, Ohoka, Numazu, Shizuoka, 410-0022, Japan
- 2. Shizuoka Agricultural experiment station, 678-1 Tomioka, Toyoda-cho, Iwata-gun, Shizuoka, 438-0803, Japan
- 3. Shizuoka Industrial Research Institute of Shizuoka Prefecture, 2078, Makigaya, Shizuoka-shi, 421-1298, Japan
- 4. Living Environment Office, Shizuoka Prefectural Government, 9-6 Otemachi, Shizuoka City, 420-8601, Japan