A simple characterization of majority rule
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Assuming an odd number of voters, E. S. Maskin recently provided a characterization of majority rule based on full transitivity. This paper characterizes majority rule with a set of axioms that includes two of Maskin's, dispenses with another, and contains weak versions of his other two axioms. It allows the number of voters to be odd or even.
- A simple characterization of majority rule
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 689-700
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Keywords and Phrases: IIA, Majority, Pareto, Single-peaked, Transitivity.
- JEL Classification Numbers: D60, D63, D71, D74.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Department of Economics and The Program in Public Policy, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795, USA (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), US
- A2. Department of Economics, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-1090, USA (e-mail: email@example.com), US