Hip fracture incidence is decreasing in the high incidence area of Oslo, Norway
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study reports a significant decrease in age-adjusted incidence rates of hip fracture for women in Oslo, Norway, even compared with data from 1978/1979. Use of bisphosphonate may explain up to one third of the decline in the incidence.
The aims of the present study were to report the current incidence of hip fractures in Oslo and to estimate the influence of bisphosphonates on the current incidence.
Using the electronic diagnosis registers and lists from the operating theaters of the hospitals of Oslo, all patients with ICD-10 codes S72.0 and S72.1 (hip fracture) in 2007 were identified. Medical records of all identified patients were reviewed to verify the diagnosis. Age- and gender-specific annual incidence rates were calculated using the population of Oslo on January 1, 2007 as the population at risk. Data on the use of bisphosphonates were obtained from official registers.
A total number of 1,005 hip fractures, 712 (71%) in women, were included. The age-adjusted fracture rates per 10,000 for the age group >50 years were 82.0 for women and 39.1 for men in 2007, compared with 110.8 and 41.4 in 1996/1997, 116.5 and 42.9 in 1988/1989, and 97.5 and 34.5 in 1978/1979, respectively. It was estimated that the use of bisphosphonates may explain up to 13% of the decline in incidence in women aged 60–69 years and up to 34% in women aged 70–79 years.
The incidence of hip fractures in women in Oslo has decreased significantly during the last decade and is now at a lower level than in 1978/1979. This reduction was not evident in men. The incidence of hip fractures in Oslo is, however, still the highest in the world.
- Osnes, EK, Lofthus, CM, Meyer, HE, Falch, JA, Nordsletten, L, Cappelen, I, Kristiansen, IS (2004) Consequences of hip fracture on activities of daily life and residential needs. Osteoporos Int 15: pp. 567-574 CrossRef
- Lu-Yao, GL, Keller, RB, Littenberg, B, Wennberg, JE (1994) Outcomes after displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A meta-analysis of one hundred and six published reports. J Bone Joint Surg Am 76: pp. 15-25
- Shi, N, Foley, K, Lenhart, G, Badamgarav, E (2009) Direct healthcare costs of hip, vertebral, and non-hip, non-vertebral fractures. Bone 45: pp. 1084-1090 CrossRef
- Lofthus, CM, Osnes, EK, Falch, JA, Kaastad, TS, Kristiansen, IS, Nordsletten, L, Stensvold, I, Meyer, HE (2001) Epidemiology of hip fractures in Oslo, Norway. Bone 29: pp. 413-418 CrossRef
- Leslie, WD, O’Donnell, S, Jean, S, Lagace, C, Walsh, P, Bancej, C, Morin, S, Hanley, DA, Papaioannou, A (2009) Trends in hip fracture rates in Canada. JAMA 302: pp. 883-889 CrossRef
- Ahlborg, HG, Rosengren, BE, Jarvinen, TL, Rogmark, C, Nilsson, JA, Sernbo, I, Karlsson, MK (2010) Prevalence of osteoporosis and incidence of hip fracture in women—secular trends over 30 years. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11: pp. 48 CrossRef
- Statistics Norway; available at www.ssb.no. 2009-02-10
- Lyles, KW, Colon-Emeric, CS, Magaziner, JS, Adachi, JD, Pieper, CF, Mautalen, C, Hyldstrup, L, Recknor, C, Nordsletten, L, Moore, KA, Lavecchia, C, Zhang, J, Mesenbrink, P, Hodgson, PK, Abrams, K, Orloff, JJ, Horowitz, Z, Eriksen, EF, Boonen, S (2007) Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture. N Engl J Med 357: pp. 1799-1809 CrossRef
- Wells GA, Cranney A, Peterson J, Boucher M, Shea B, Robinson V, Coyle D, Tugwell P (2008) Alendronate for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD001155.
- Siris, ES, Selby, PL, Saag, KG, Borgstrom, F, Herings, RM, Silverman, SL (2009) Impact of osteoporosis treatment adherence on fracture rates in North America and Europe. Am J Med 122: pp. 3-13 CrossRef
- Devold, HM, Doung, GM, Tverdal, A, Furu, K, Meyer, HE, Falch, JA, Sogaard, AJ (2010) Prescription of anti-osteoporosis drugs during 2004–2007—a nationwide register study in Norway. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 66: pp. 299-306 CrossRef
- Falch, JA, Ilebekk, A, Slungaard, U (1985) Epidemiology of hip fractures in Norway. Acta Orthop Scand 56: pp. 12-16 CrossRef
- Falch, JA, Kaastad, TS, Bohler, G, Espeland, J, Sundsvold, OJ (1993) Secular increase and geographical differences in hip fracture incidence in Norway. Bone 14: pp. 643-645 CrossRef
- Wholesale based drug statistics; available at www.legemiddelforbruk.no. 2010-08-10.
- Norwegian Prescription Database; available at www.norpd.no. 2010-08-10.
- Falch, JA (1996) Meyer HE [Bone mineral density measured by dual X-ray absorptiometry. A reference material from Oslo]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 116: pp. 2299-2302
- Kanis, JA, Johnell, O, Oden, A, Jonsson, B, De, LC, Dawson, A (2000) Risk of hip fracture according to the World Health Organization criteria for osteopenia and osteoporosis. Bone 27: pp. 585-590 CrossRef
- Black, DM, Thompson, DE, Bauer, DC, Ensrud, K, Musliner, T, Hochberg, MC, Nevitt, MC, Suryawanshi, S, Cummings, SR (2000) Fracture risk reduction with alendronate in women with osteoporosis: the Fracture Intervention Trial. FIT Research Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: pp. 4118-4124 CrossRef
- Armitage P, Berry G (1994) Statistical methods in medical research.
- Icks, A, Haastert, B, Wildner, M, Becker, C, Meyer, G (2008) Hip fracture incidence in Germany: analysis of the national hospital discharge registry 2004. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133: pp. 125-128 CrossRef
- Holt, G, Smith, R, Duncan, K, Hutchison, JD, Gregori, A (2008) Gender differences in epidemiology and outcome after hip fracture: evidence from the Scottish Hip Fracture Audit. J Bone Joint Surg Br 90: pp. 480-483 CrossRef
- Moayyeri, A, Soltani, A, Larijani, B, Naghavi, M, Alaeddini, F, Abolhassani, F (2006) Epidemiology of hip fracture in Iran: results from the Iranian multicenter study on accidental injuries. Osteoporos Int 17: pp. 1252-1257 CrossRef
- El, MA, Koumba, BA, Jroundi, I, Achemlal, L, Bezza, A, Tazi, MA (2005) Epidemiology of hip fractures in 2002 in Rabat, Morocco. Osteoporos Int 16: pp. 597-602 CrossRef
- Hagino, H, Katagiri, H, Okano, T, Yamamoto, K, Teshima, R (2005) Increasing incidence of hip fracture in Tottori Prefecture, Japan: trend from 1986 to 2001. Osteoporos Int 16: pp. 1963-1968 CrossRef
- Soveid, M, Serati, AR, Masoompoor, M (2005) Incidence of hip fracture in Shiraz, Iran. Osteoporos Int 16: pp. 1412-1416 CrossRef
- Pina, MF, Alves, SM, Barbosa, M, Barros, H (2008) Hip fractures cluster in space: an epidemiological analysis in Portugal. Osteoporos Int 19: pp. 1797-1804 CrossRef
- Chie, WC, Yang, RS, Liu, JP, Tsai, KS (2004) High incidence rate of hip fracture in Taiwan: estimated from a nationwide health insurance database. Osteoporos Int 15: pp. 998-1002 CrossRef
- Abolhassani, F, Moayyeri, A, Naghavi, M, Soltani, A, Larijani, B, Shalmani, HT (2006) Incidence and characteristics of falls leading to hip fracture in Iranian population. Bone 39: pp. 408-413 CrossRef
- Kannus, P, Parkkari, J, Niemi, S, Pasanen, M, Palvanen, M, Jarvinen, M, Vuori, I (2000) Prevention of hip fracture in elderly people with use of a hip protector. N Engl J Med 343: pp. 1506-1513 CrossRef
- Gale, CR, Martyn, CN, Kellingray, S, Eastell, R, Cooper, C (2001) Intrauterine programming of adult body composition. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86: pp. 267-272 CrossRef
- Droyvold, WB, Nilsen, TI, Kruger, O, Holmen, TL, Krokstad, S, Midthjell, K, Holmen, J (2006) Change in height, weight and body mass index: longitudinal data from the HUNT study in Norway. Int J Obes (Lond) 30: pp. 935-939 CrossRef
- Statistics Norway, NSD. National health survey 2008. 2009; NSD1327.
- Statistics Norway, NSD. National health survey 1998. 2009; NSD0415.
- Michaelsson, K, Baron, JA, Farahmand, BY, Johnell, O, Magnusson, C, Persson, PG, Persson, I, Ljunghall, S (1998) Hormone replacement therapy and risk of hip fracture: population based case–control study. BMJ 316: pp. 1858-1863 CrossRef
- Meyer, HE, Lofthus, CM, Sogaard, AJ, Falch, JA (2008) Change in the use of hormone replacement therapy and the incidence of fracture in Oslo. Osteoporos Int 5: pp. 827-830
- Lofthus, CM, Frihagen, F, Meyer, HE, Nordsletten, L, Melhuus, K, Falch, JA (2008) Epidemiology of distal forearm fractures in Oslo, Norway. Osteoporos Int 19: pp. 781-786 CrossRef
- Cheng, SY, Levy, AR, Lefaivre, KA, Guy, P, Kuramoto, L, Sobolev, B (2011) Geographic trends in incidence of hip fractures: a comprehensive literature review. Osteoporos Int 10: pp. 2575-2586 CrossRef
- Brauer, CA, Coca-Perraillon, M, Cutler, DM, Rosen, AB (2009) Incidence and mortality of hip fractures in the United States. JAMA 302: pp. 1573-1579 CrossRef
- Lofthus, CM, Cappelen, I, Osnes, EK, Falch, JA, Kristiansen, IS, Medhus, AW, Nordsletten, L, Meyer, HE (2005) Local and national electronic databases in Norway demonstrate a varying degree of validity. J Clin Epidemiol 58: pp. 280-285 CrossRef
- Hip fracture incidence is decreasing in the high incidence area of Oslo, Norway
Volume 23, Issue 10 , pp 2527-2534
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hip fracture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics, Oslo University Hospital, Ullevål, 0424, Oslo, Norway
- 3. University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
- 4. Division of Epidemiology, Department of Chronic Diseases, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
- 5. Department of Community Medicine, Institute of Health and Society, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
- 2. Department of Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital, Aker, 0424, Oslo, Norway