The effect of prior bisphosphonate therapy on the subsequent therapeutic effects of strontium ranelate over 2 years
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Many osteoporotic women prescribed strontium ranelate have previously received bisphosphonates. Prior bisphosphonate use blunted the spinal bone mineral density (BMD) response for 6 months. Hip BMD was blunted to a degree for 2 years, although there was an overall increase in hip BMD in contrast to the heel where BMD did not increase.
Many osteoporotic women commenced on strontium ranelate have already received treatment with bisphosphonates. This study investigates whether prior bisphosphonate use impairs the subsequent therapeutic response to strontium ranelate.
Women were recruited who were either bisphosphonate naïve or currently receiving a bisphosphonate. All women received strontium ranelate and were followed up for 2 years.
One hundred and twenty women were recruited. After 2 years, the bisphosphonate-naïve group had significant BMD increases of 8.9%, 6.0% and 6.4% at the spine, hip and heel, respectively. In the prior bisphosphonate group, BMD increased significantly at the spine (4.0%) and hip (2.5%) but not at the heel. At all time points at all sites, the BMD increase was greater in the bisphosphonate-naïve group. BMD at the spine did not increase during the first 6 months in the prior bisphosphonate group but then increased in parallel with the bisphosphonate-naïve group. In contrast, the difference between the two groups in hip BMD continued to increase throughout the 2 years. P1NP was suppressed in the prior bisphosphonate group for the first 6 months.
After bisphosphonate exposure, the BMD response to strontium ranelate is blunted for only 6 months at the spine. At the hip, a degree of blunting was observed over 2 years, although there was an overall increase in hip BMD in contrast to the heel where no increase in BMD was observed.
- Meunier, PJ, Roux, C, Seeman, E, Ortolani, S, Badurski, JE, Spector, TD, Cannata, J, Balogh, A, Lemmel, EM, Pors-Nielsen, S, Rizzoli, R, Genant, HK, Reginster, JY (2004) The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fracture in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 350: pp. 459-468 CrossRef
- Reginster, JY, Seeman, E, Vernejoul, MC, Adami, S, Compston, J, Phenekos, C, Devogelaer, JP, Curiel, MD, Sawicki, A, Goemaere, S, Sorensen, OH, Felsenberg, D, Meunier, PJ (2005) Strontium ranelate reduces the risk of nonvertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: Treatment of Peripheral Osteoporosis (TROPOS) study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: pp. 2816-2822 CrossRef
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2008) Alendronate, etidronate, risedronate, raloxifene, strontium ranelate and teriparatide for the secondary prevention of osteoporotic fragility fractures in postmenopausal women. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/TA161quickrefguide.pdf
- Black, DM, Schwartz, AV, Ensrud, KE, Cauley, JA, Levis, S, Quandt, SA, Satterfield, S, Wallace, RB, Bauer, DC, Palermo, L, Wehren, LE, Lombardi, A, Santora, AC, Cummings, SR (2006) Effects of continuing or stopping alendronate after 5 years of treatment: the Fracture Intervention Trial Long-term Extension (FLEX): a randomized trial. JAMA 296: pp. 2927-2938 CrossRef
- Middleton, ET, Steel, SA, Aye, M, Doherty, SM (2010) The effect of prior bisphosphonate therapy on the subsequent BMD and bone turnover response to strontium ranelate. J Bone Miner Res 25: pp. 455-462 CrossRef
- Li, C, Paris, O, Siegel, S, Roschger, P, Paschalis, EP, Klaushofer, K, Fratzl, P (2010) Strontium is incorporated into mineral crystals only in newly formed bone during strontium ranelate treatment. J Bone Miner Res 25: pp. 968-975
- Bruyère, O, Collette, J, Rizzoli, R, Decock, C, Ortolani, S, Cormier, C, Detilleux, J, Reginster, JY (2010) Relationship between 3-month changes in biochemical markers of bone remodelling and changes in bone mineral density and fracture incidence in patients treated with strontium ranelate for 3 years. Osteoporos Int 21: pp. 1031-1036 CrossRef
- Obermayer-Pietsch, BM, Marin, F, McCloskey, EV, Hadji, P, Farrerons, J, Boonen, S, Audran, M, Barker, C, Anastasilakis, AD, Fraser, WD, Nickelsen, T (2008) Effects of two years of daily teriparatide treatment on BMD in postmenopausal women with severe osteoporosis with and without prior antiresorptive treatment. J Bone Miner Res 23: pp. 1591-1600 CrossRef
- Ettinger, B, San Martin, J, Crans, G, Pavo, I (2004) Differential effects of teriparatide on BMD after treatment with raloxifene or alendronate. J Bone Miner Res 19: pp. 745-751 CrossRef
- Middleton, ET, Steel, SA (2008) Routine versus targeted vertebral fracture assessment for the detection of vertebral fractures. Osteoporos Int 19: pp. 1167-1173 CrossRef
- Blake, GM, Preston, N, Patel, R, Herd, RJ, Fogelman, I (2000) Monitoring skeletal response to treatment which site to measure in the femur?. J Clin Densitom 3: pp. 149-155 CrossRef
- Steel, SA, Thorpe, J (2002) The GE-lunar prodigy: in vivo precision and cross-calibration. Calcif Tissue Int 71: pp. 277-278
- Boivin, G, Farlay, D, Khebbab, MT, Jaurand, X, Delmas, PD, Meunier, PJ (2010) In osteoporotic women treated with strontium ranelate, strontium is located in bone formed during treatment with a maintained degree of mineralization. Osteoporos Int 21: pp. 667-677 CrossRef
- Nielsen, SP, Slosman, D, Sørensen, OH, Basse-Cathalinat, B, Cassin, P, Roux, CR, Meunier, PJ (1999) Influence of strontium on bone mineral density and bone mineral content measurements by dual X-ray absorptiometry. J Clin Densitom 2: pp. 371-379 CrossRef
- Bruyere, O, Collette, J, Reginster, J-Y (2010) The effects of strontium ranelate on biochemical markers of bone turnover and their relationship with bone mineral density: reply to Stepan et al.. Osteoporos Int 21: pp. 1039-1041 CrossRef
- Meunier, PJ, Boivin, G, Marie, PJ (2009) About the comparison of two anabolic agents, teriparatide and strontium ranelate, in treated osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 24: pp. 2066 CrossRef
- Noble, BS, Reeve, J (2000) Osteocyte function, osteocyte death and bone fracture resistance. Mol Cell Endocrinol 159: pp. 7-13 CrossRef
- Boivin, G, Deloffre, P, Perrat, B (1996) Strontium distribution and interactions with bone mineral in monkey iliac bone after strontium salt (S12911) administration. J Bone Miner Res 11: pp. 1302-1311 CrossRef
- Liney, GP, Bernard, CP, Manton, DJ, Turnbull, LW, Langton, CM (2007) Age, gender, and skeletal variation in bone marrow composition: a preliminary study at 3.0 Tesla. J Magn Reson Imaging 26: pp. 787-793 CrossRef
- Rosen, CJ, Bouxsein, ML (2006) Mechanisms of disease: is osteoporosis the obesity of bone?. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 2: pp. 35-43 CrossRef
- Busse, B, Jobke, B, Hahn, M, Priemel, M, Niecke, M, Seitz, S, Zustin, J, Semler, J, Amling, M (2010) Effects of strontium ranelate administration on bisphosphonate-altered hydroxyapatite: matrix incorporation of strontium is accompanied by changes in mineralization and microstructure. Acta Biomater.
- Kendler, DL, Roux, C, Benhamou, CL, Brown, JP, Lillestol, M, Siddhanti, S, Man, HS, San Martin, J, Bone, HG (2010) Effects of denosumab on bone mineral density and bone turnover in postmenopausal women transitioning from alendronate therapy. J Bone Miner Res 25: pp. 72-81 CrossRef
- Visekruna, M, Wilson, D, McKiernan, FE (2008) Severely suppressed bone turnover and atypical skeletal fragility. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93: pp. 2948-2952 CrossRef
- Recker, RR, Marin, F, Ish-Shalom, S, Möricke, R, Hawkins, F, Kapetanos, G, Peña, MP, Kekow, J, Farrerons, J, Sanz, B, Oertel, H, Stepan, J (2009) Comparative effects of teriparatide and strontium ranelate on bone biopsies and biochemical markers of bone turnover in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 24: pp. 1358-1368 CrossRef
- Seibel, MJ (2005) Biochemical markers of bone turnover: I. Biochemistry and variability. Clin Biochem Rev 26: pp. 97-122
- Bacon, CJ, Gamble, GD, Horne, AM, Scott, MA, Reid, IR (2009) High-dose oral vitamin D3 supplementation in the elderly. Osteoporos Int 20: pp. 1407-1415 CrossRef
- The effect of prior bisphosphonate therapy on the subsequent therapeutic effects of strontium ranelate over 2 years
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 295-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Strontium ranelate
- Industry Sectors