Daidzein administration positively affects thyroid C cells and bone structure in orchidectomized middle-aged rats
- B. FilipovićAffiliated withInstitute for Biological ResearchInstitute for Biological Research Email author
- , B. Šošić-JurjevićAffiliated withInstitute for Biological Research
- , V. AjdžanovićAffiliated withInstitute for Biological Research
- , D. BrkićAffiliated withJohnson and Johnson S.E. Inc.
- , M. Manojlović-StojanoskiAffiliated withInstitute for Biological Research
- , V. MiloševićAffiliated withInstitute for Biological Research
- , M. SekulićAffiliated withInstitute for Biological Research
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thyroid C cells hormone, calcitonine, inhibits bone resorption. We have demonstrated that daidzein treatment of orchidectomized rats (model for osteoporosis) stimulated C cells and increased trabecular bone mass. These results suggest that, besides direct action, daidzein may also affect bone structure indirectly through enhancement of thyroid C cell activity.
Thyroid C cells produce calcitonin (CT) which acts as an inhibitor of bone resorption. In this study, the influence of daidzein treatment on thyroid C cells, bone structure, and bone function in orchidectomized (Orx) middle-aged rats was investigated.
Sixteen-month-old Wistar rats were divided into Orx and sham-operated (SO) groups. Half the Orx rats were given subcutaneous injections of daidzein (30 mg/kg b.w./day) for 3 weeks. CT-immunopositive thyroid C cells were morphometrically analyzed. The metaphyseal region of the proximal tibia was measured histomorphometrically, and cancellous bone area (B.Ar), trabecular thickness (Tb.Th), trabecular number (Tb.N), and trabecular separation (Tb.Sp) were calculated. Serum samples were analyzed for CT and osteocalcin (OC), calcium (Ca) and phosphorus concentrations, and urine samples for Ca levels.
Treatment of Orx animals with daidzein significantly increased volume of C cells compared to the Orx rats. Daidzein also enhanced B.Ar, Tb.Th, and Tb.N and reduced Tb.Sp. The serum OC and urinary Ca concentrations decreased significantly in comparison with the Orx group.
These findings indicate that daidzein treatment stimulates thyroid C cells, increase trabecular bone mass, and decrease bone turnover in Orx middle-aged rats, which is the model of male osteoporosis.
KeywordsBone Daidzein Histomorphometry Immunohistochemistry Rats Thyroid C cells
- Daidzein administration positively affects thyroid C cells and bone structure in orchidectomized middle-aged rats
Volume 21, Issue 9 , pp 1609-1616
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Thyroid C cells
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute for Biological Research, Belgrade, Serbia
- 3. Institute for Biological Research, 142 Despot Stefan Boulevard, 11060, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2. Johnson and Johnson S.E. Inc., Belgrade, Serbia