Elongated styloid process and atheroma in panoramic radiography and its relationship with systemic osteoporosis and osteopenia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Association between the presence of an elongated styloid process, vascular calcification (atheroma) and the potential risk factor for osteoporosis was studied. Presence of an elongated styloid process was found to be correlated with systemic osteoporosis and also between elongated styloid process and atheroma.
The association between the presences of an elongated styloid process and vascular calcification (atheroma) with the potential risk factor assessment for osteoporosis was studied.
Bone mineral density obtained by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry diagnosed osteopenia/osteoporosis on at least two of three sites (column, hips, and forearm) of 50 female patients. Panoramic maxillomandibular radiographs were taken and analyzed. Elongation of the styloid processes was measured and the presence of atheromas in the carotid was investigated.
Eighty percent of the patients presented at least one side with elongated styloid process and the highest prevalence (87.5%) occurred in individuals between 60 and 69 years. Atheroma was found in four patients, three of which presented elongated styloid on at least one side and had diagnosed osteoporosis on at least two of the evaluated sites.
Correlation was found between the elongation of the styloid process and systemic osteoporosis, and between elongated styloid process and atheroma. The method in this study might be used as part of a method for osteopenia/osteoporosis and atheroma risk assessment.
- Danilevicius CF, Lopes JB, Pereira RM (2007) Bone metabolism and vascular calcification. Braz J Med Biol Res 40:435–442 CrossRef
- Naves M, Rodriguez-Garcia M, Diaz-Lopez JB et al (2008) Progression of vascular calcifications is associated with greater bone loss and increased bone fractures. Osteoporos Int 19:1161–1166 CrossRef
- Reddy J, Bilezikian JP, Smith SJ et al (2008) Reduced bone mineral density is associated with breast arterial calcification. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:208–211 CrossRef
- Okabe S, Morimoto Y, Ansai T et al (2006) Clinical significance and variation of the advanced calcified stylohyoid complex detected by panoramic radiographs among 80-year-old subjects. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 35:191–199 CrossRef
- Park JH, Omi N, Nosaka T et al (2008) Estrogen deficiency and low-calcium diet increased bone loss and urinary calcium excretion but did not alter arterial stiffness in young female rats. J Bone Miner Metab 26:218–225 CrossRef
- Watanabe PAC, Campos M, Pardini LC (1998) Síndrome do proceso estilóide alongado (Síndrome de Eagle). Revista da APCD 52:487–490
- Health OW (2004) Scientific group on the assessment of osteoporosis at primary health care level. World Health Organization, Brussels
- Mortellaro C, Biancucci P, Picciolo G et al (2002) Eagle's syndrome: importance of a corrected diagnosis and adequate surgical treatment. J Craniofac Surg 13:755–758 CrossRef
- Thot B, Revel S, Mohandas R et al (2000) Eagle’ syndrome. Anatomy of the styloid process. Indian J Dent Res 11:65–70
- Rizzatti-Barbosa CM, Ribeiro MC, Silva-Concilio LR et al (2005) Is an elongated stylohyoid process prevalent in the elderly? A radiographic study in a Brazilian population. Gerodontology 22:112–115 CrossRef
- Battagel JM (1993) A comparative assessment of cephalometric errors. Eur J Orthod 15:305–314
- Cousley RR, Grant E, Kindelan JD (2003) The validity of computerized orthognathic predictions. J Orthod 30:149–154 discussion 128 CrossRef
- Siegel S (1977) Estatística não-paramétrica para as ciências do comportamento. Mc Graw-Hill do Brasil, São Paulo
- Correll RW, Jensen JL, Taylor JB et al (1979) Mineralization of the stylohyoid-stylomandibular ligament complex. A radiographic incidence study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 48:286–291 CrossRef
- Yoon SJ, Yoon W, Kim OS et al (2008) Diagnostic accuracy of panoramic radiography in the detection of calcified carotid artery. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 37:104–108 CrossRef
- Albuquerque DF, Menezes AV, Carlos MX et al (2005) Detecção de calcificações na artéria carótida em radiografias panorâmicas: revisão da morfologia e patologia. Clin Pesq Odontol 2:129–136
- Souza AE, Ciccone JC, Watanabe PCA et al (2004) Contribuição da radiografia panorâmica na detecção de ateromas em artéria carótida. RGO—Revista Gaúcha de Odontologia 52:83–85
- Elongated styloid process and atheroma in panoramic radiography and its relationship with systemic osteoporosis and osteopenia
Volume 21, Issue 5 , pp 831-836
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Panoramic radiography
- Styloid process
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Morphology, Stomatology and Physiology, School of Dentistry, University of São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2. Department of Biomechanics, Medicine and Rehabilitation of the Locomotor Apparatus, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
- 3. Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of São Paulo, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
- 4. Department of Dental Materials and Prosthesis, Ribeirão Preto School of Dentistry, University of São Paulo, Av. do Café s/no, Bairro: Monte Alegre, CEP 14049-900, Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil