Assessment of 10-year absolute fracture risk: a new paradigm with worldwide application
In this issue of Osteoporosis International we present several papers representing common approaches to the evaluation of fracture risk [1–5]. This represents a considerable change for the field, moving from descriptions of risk as “relative risk,” as occurs on the output of DXA equipment, to what might be called “absolute risk” or “real risk,” neither of which is an adequate description. The model allows an assessment of the likelihood of hip or major osteoporosis-related fracture within a specific time frame (10 years) for individual patients.
These analyses result from a “mega-analysis” conducted by a team of investigators on behalf of the World Health Organization, led by Dr John Kanis. In this study Kanis and colleagues took data from epidemiological studies from the USA, Europe, Australia and Asia and determined the factors that were common to all that independently increased the risk of fractures in the aging population. They then modeled overall fracture risk using these factors ...
- Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, Johansson H, McCloskey E (2008) FRAXTM and the assessment of fracture probability in men and women from the UK. Osteoporos Int DOI 10.1007/s00198-007-0543-5
- Fujiwara S, Nakamura T, Orimo H, Hosoi T, Gorai I, Oden A, Johansson H, Kanis JA (2008) Development and application of a Japanese model of the WHO fracture risk assessment tool (FRAXTM). Osteoporos Int DOI 10.1007/s00198-007-0544-4
- Tosteson ANA, Melton III LJ, Dawson-Hughes B, Baim S, Favus MJ, Khosla S, Lindsay RL (2008) Cost-effective osteoporosis treatment thresholds: the United States perspective. Osteoporos Int DOI 10.1007/s00198-007-0550-6
- Dawson-Hughes B, Tosteson ANA, Melton III LJ, Baim S, Favus MJ, Khosla S, Lindsay RL (2008) Implications of absolute fracture risk assessment for osteoporosis practice guidelines in the USA. Osteoporos Int DOI 10.1007/s00198-008-0559-5
- Leslie WD for the Manitoba Bone Density Program (2008) Absolute fracture risk reporting in clinical practice: a physician-centered survey. Osteoporos Int DOI 10.1007/s00198-008-0565-7
- Kanis JA, Burlet N, Cooper C, et al. (2008) European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int DOI 10.1007/s00198-008-0560-z
- Assessment of 10-year absolute fracture risk: a new paradigm with worldwide application
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 383-384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors