Female sexual dysfunction: what Arab gynecologists think and know
- Wael A. AuwadAffiliated withKing Abdullah International Medical Research Center (KAIMRC), King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences (KSAU-HS)King Abdulaziz Medical City, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Urogynecology Unit Email author
- , Sarah K. HagiAffiliated withFaculty of Medicine King Abdulaziz University (KAU)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Introduction and hypothesis
We aimed to assess the knowledge and practice of gynecologists (Gyns) from different Arab countries with regard to female sexual dysfunction (FSD) in comparison with members of the American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS) and the British Society of Urogynecology (BSUG).
An anonymous questionnaire was used to survey attendees of the annual meeting of the Saudi Obstetrics and Gynecology Society.
Six hundred and forty questionnaires were distributed, and the response rate was 66%. The majority of Arab Gyns (73%) were unsatisfied with their training, and 87% never or rarely screened for FSD compared with 47% and 23% of BSUG and AUGS members, respectively (p < 0.001).
Our results reveal an apparent global lack of adequate education in female sexuality and expose the breadth of the problem among Arab Gyns. Therefore, there is a need to improve training at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels to enable Gyns in Arab countries to provide better sexual healthcare.
KeywordsFemale sexual dysfunction Gynecologists Arab countries Practice survey
- Female sexual dysfunction: what Arab gynecologists think and know
International Urogynecology Journal
Volume 23, Issue 7 , pp 919-927
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Arab countries
- Practice survey
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. King Abdullah International Medical Research Center (KAIMRC), King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences (KSAU-HS), Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- 3. King Abdulaziz Medical City, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Urogynecology Unit, Mail code 6370, P.O. box 9515, Jeddah, 21423, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- 2. Faculty of Medicine King Abdulaziz University (KAU), Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia