Lower reproductive tract fistula repairs in inpatient US women, 1979–2006
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Introduction and hypothesis
The objective of the study was to characterize trends in lower reproductive tract fistula (LRTF) repair in inpatient US women from 1979 to 2006.
Retrospective data was obtained from the National Hospital Discharge Survey regarding LRTF diagnoses, demographics, comorbidities, and fistula repair procedures, using ICD-9-CM diagnostic and procedure codes. Age-adjusted rates (AARs) were calculated using 1990 census data. Trends in LRTF surgical repair were evaluated using regression analysis.
Between 1979 and 2006, the AAR of LRTF repair declined from 7.8 to 4.8 per 100,000 women (b = −2.97, p < 0.001). The most common surgical fistula repairs were rectovaginal, vesicovaginal, and colovaginal. The AARs of colovaginal and vesicovaginal fistula repair remained stable, while the AAR of rectovaginal fistula repair declined.
The AAR of inpatient LRTF repair declined between 1979 and 2006, perhaps reflecting a concurrent decrease in obstetric trauma, in the context of decreasing episiotomy and operative vaginal delivery and increasing cesarean section rates.
- Aronson, MP, Lee, RA Anal incontinence and rectovaginal fistulas. In: Rock, JA, Jones, HW eds. (2008) Te Linde’s operative gynecology. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp. 994-1030
- Meeks, GR, Roth, TM Vesicovaginal and urethrovaginal fistulas. In: Rock, JA, Jones, HW eds. (2008) Te Linde’s operative gynecology. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp. 973-994
- Singhal, SR, Nanda, S, Singhal, SK (2007) Sexual intercourse: an unusual cause of rectovaginal fistula. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 131: pp. 243-244 CrossRef
- Arias, BE, Ridgeway, B, Barber, MD (2008) Complications of neglected vaginal pessaries: case presentation and literature review. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19: pp. 1173-1178 CrossRef
- Champagne, BJ, McGee, MF (2010) Rectovaginal fistula. Surg Clin North Am 90: pp. 69-82 CrossRef
- Zambon, JP, Batezini, NS, Pinto, ER, Skaff, M, Girotti, ME, Almeida, FG (2010) Do we need new surgical techniques to repair vesicovaginal fistulas?. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 21: pp. 337-342 CrossRef
- Angioli, R, Gomez-Marin, O, Cantuaria, G, O’Sullivan, MJ (2000) Severe perineal lacerations during vaginal delivery: the University of Miami experience. Am J Obstet Gynecol 182: pp. 1083-1085 CrossRef
- Frankman, EA, Wang, L, Bunker, CH, Lowder, JL (2009) Episiotomy in the United States: has anything changed?. Am J Obstet Gynecol 200: pp. e1-e7
- CDC 2010 National Hospital Discharge Survey homepage: CDC, National Center for Health Statistics.
- Dennison, C, Pokras, R (2000) Design and operation of the national hospital discharge survey: 1988 redesign. Vital Health Stat 1: pp. 1-42
- DeFrances CJ, Lucas CA, Buie VC, Golosinskiy A (2008) 2006 national hospital discharge survey. Natl Health Stat Report 1–20
- Mangano, DT (1990) Perioperative cardiac morbidity. Anesthesiology 72: pp. 153-184 CrossRef
- Bahadursingh, AM, Longo, WE (2003) Colovaginal fistulas: etiology and management. J Reprod Med 48: pp. 489-495
- Lower reproductive tract fistula repairs in inpatient US women, 1979–2006
International Urogynecology Journal
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 403-410
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Colovaginal fistula
- Hospital discharge data
- Rectovaginal fistula
- Surgical repair
- Vesicovaginal fistula
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Urogynecology, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Magee-Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 3. Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery, UCSD Women’s Pelvic Medicine Center, 9350 Campus Point Drive, Suite 2a, La Jolla, CA, 92037, USA
- 2. Office of Clinical Research, University of Pittsburgh Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI), Pittsburgh, PA, USA