Complications of vaginal mesh: our experience
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the January issue of this journal, an interesting study on “Management of complications arising from transvaginal mesh kit procedures”  and a “Review of synthetic mesh-related complications in pelvic floor reconstructive surgery”  reopened this much debated problem. First, we straightaway want our readers to know our conflicting interests and also our major concern for objectivity, though B.J. is a patent holder on Prolift™ and both authors have a large implication in studies of the French TVM group and in the many training sessions on this surgical procedure and its complications. Unlike nearly all previous editorials, we would like here not only to describe potential hazards but also encourage the reader to analyse them objectively.
In our opinion, complications of vaginal meshes are often overestimated, sometimes overemphasised, often poorly described and managed.
Complications can be overestimated because it is always easier to publish a complication in an important urologic ...
- Hurtado EA, Appell RA (2009) Management of complications arising from transvaginal mesh kit procedures: a tertiary referral center's experience. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 20:11–17 CrossRef
- Bako A, Dhar R (2009) Review of synthetic mesh-related complications in pelvic floor reconstructive surgery. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 20:103–111 CrossRef
- Abdel-Fattah M, Ramsay I (2008) Retrospective multicentre study of the new minimally invasive mesh repair devices for pelvic organ prolapse. BJOG 115:22–30 CrossRef
- Altman D, Falconer C (2007) Perioperative morbidity using transvaginal mesh in pelvic organ prolapse repair. Obstet Gynecol 109:303–308
- Hiltunen R, Nieminen K, Takala T, Heiskanen E, Merikari M, Niemi K, Heinonen PK (2007) Low-weight polypropylene mesh for anterior vaginal wall prolapse: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 110:455–462
- Lowman JK, Jones LA, Woodman PJ, Hale DS (2008) Does the Prolift system cause dyspareunia? Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:707e1–707e6
- Sentilhes L, Berthier A, Sergent F, Verspyck E, Descamps P, Marpeau L (2008) Sexual function in women before and after transvaginal mesh repair for pelvic organ prolapse. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19:763–772 CrossRef
- Altman D, Elmer C, Kiilholma P, Kinne I, Tegerstedt G, Falconer C (2009) Sexual dysfunction after trocar-guided transvaginal mesh repair of pelvic organ prolapse. Obstet Gynecol 113:127–133
- Gauruder-Burmester A, Koutouzidou P, Tunn R (2009) Effect of vaginal polypropylene mesh implants on sexual function. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 142:76–80 CrossRef
- Margulies RU, Lewicky-Gaupp C, Fenner DE, Mcguire EJ, Clemens JQ, DeLancey JO (2008) Complications requiring reoperation following vaginal mesh kit procedures for prolapse. Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:678e1–678e4 CrossRef
- De Ridder D (2008) Should we use meshes in the management of vaginal prolapse? Curr Opin Urol 18:377–382 CrossRef
- Complications of vaginal mesh: our experience
International Urogynecology Journal
Volume 20, Issue 8 , pp 893-896
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links