Reply to Mion
Sir: We thank Dr Mion and his colleagues for their interest in our study , and we appreciate that this important topic is such a matter of discussion and concern. Addressing the content of Dr Mion’s letter, however, is made difficult by an unclear meaning of the word “evidence”.
First, Mion et al. argue that our study “solely proves a link between hyperoncotic albumin and probability of renal replacement therapy”. This is strange since our results indicate that “after adjustment on potential confounding factors and on propensity score for the use of hyperoncotic colloids, the use of artificial hyperoncotic colloids [OR: 2.48 (1.24–4.97)] and hyperoncotic albumin [OR: 5.99 (2.75–13.08)] was significantly associated with occurrence of renal event.” This is not an opinion but a result. We therefore concluded, carefully selecting our wording that “this suggests that harmful effects on renal function and outcome of hyperoncotic colloids may exist.” We believe this conclusion is cautious a ...
- Schortgen F, Girou E, Deye N, Brochard L (2008) The risk associated with hyperoncotic colloids in patients with shock. Intensive Care Med 34:2157–2168 CrossRef
- Perel P, Roberts I (2007) Colloids versus crystalloids for fluid resuscitation in critically ill patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD000567
- Brunkhorst FM, Engel C, Bloos F, Meier-Hellmann A, Ragaller M, Weiler N, Moerer O, Gruendling M, Oppert M, Grond S, Olthoff D, Jaschinski U, John S, Rossaint R, Welte T, Schaefer M, Kern P, Kuhnt E, Kiehntopf M, Hartog C, Natanson C, Loeffler M, Reinhart K (2008) Intensive insulin therapy and pentastarch resuscitation in severe sepsis. N Engl J Med 358:125–139 CrossRef
- Zarychanski R, Turgeon AF, Fergusson DA, Cook DJ, Hebert P, Bagshaw S, Monsour D, McIntyre L (2008) Renal outcomes following hydroxyethl starch resuscitation: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Intensive Care Med 34:A0345
- Finfer S, Bellomo R, Boyce N, French J, Myburgh J, Norton R (2004) A comparison of albumin and saline for fluid resuscitation in the intensive care unit. N Engl J Med 350:2247–2256 CrossRef
- Reply to Mion
Intensive Care Medicine
Volume 35, Issue 6 , p 1148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors